“Very nice place, convenient location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I stayed at this Embassy Suites for business in October 2010. The place was very nice as all Embassy Suites are. The breakfast in the mornings is included in the price and very good. Lots of choices from pre-made items to made to order omelettes. Can get very crowded though so be sure to allow extra time in the mornings.

Rooms are very large and well maintained. The suite consists of two rooms, each with a flat panel tv, small dorm fridge, pull out couch and king bed. All very nice and modern.

The location of the hotel is directly across the street from the subway (blue line) which is very convenient. From there you can get to wherever you need in DC as well as the airport. I rented a car but if I had it to do over again, I would skip the car rental and take the subway. Getting to downtown D.C. takes about 15 minutes on the subway, whereas driving took me about 45 minutes plus I had to pay for parking.

There are a lot of old and historic things to do and see in the area of this hotel. I walked every night into the main "old town" area which was filled with people walking and going from shops, to restaurants to pubs. It s really a neat little area. You are into the main area of Old Town within a five minute walk. I think it took me about 30 minutes to walk from the hotel to the very end of the restaurant and shopping area of Old Town Alexandria. Very convenient. Also, felt very safe as there are people walking everywhere. Never saw anyone around of "questionable character".

There is a happy hour at night from 5-7PM with "complimentary" drinks. However, you do have to pay $1-$2 per drink depending on what you get. Apparently there is a state law that does not allow them to serve drinks for free.

The workout room is very nice and actually has free weights up to 50 pounds. Rarely do you find free weights at a fitness center now days. It also has a treadmill and eliptical.

I would definitely stay here again and in fact I am hoping to return at the end of this year.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Please note a change that occurred in January 2011. The City of Alexandria awarded our hotel a license to serve free beer and wine to our overnight guests. This was good news as we had been awaiting this development for some time. For those guests who prefer other alcoholic beverages, we will continue to provide many at a minimal cost. I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments and look forward to your return.
Best regards...Sylvie Venne Admin Asst responding on behalf of MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Reviewed February 3, 2011

Rooms fine, check in excellent, front desk personnel awesome. Ms. Pat (Manager's reception and breakfast) and Mr. Simon (limo/van) exceed all standards!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and appreciate your kind words about our staff. As a hotel we strive to deliver excellent customer service to all our guests and are therefore pleased that you were satisfied. We look forward to your next visit. Best regards... Mary Anne Russell

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We spent five nights att this hotel in July - Mom Dad and 2 teenage boys on a combo business and holiday trip.

Rate escapes me, but using AAA and including parking , a massive breakfast and a great receptioneach evening, it was the best value of the trip.

Staff were top drawer. Room was a suite with a bedroom/sitting room combo. Two tvs, good size bath and very quiet, which is somehtign considering its size and the large number of families there. The Busness centre has four computers and a couple of printers and is right off the lobby.

Very convenient location for Reagan airport and Pentagon and you can stroll down to Old Town Alexandria or take the shuttle. Metro station is right across the trip and easy to reach by road. Its on our list to repeat.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank EnergyVoyageur

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Without your input we cannot keep striving to excel and exceed our customers’ expectations. I was very pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and look forward to your return. Once again thank you for your well intentioned and well received comments. Best regards…Mary Anne Russell

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Expected a night place and a nice stay. Rooms are okay, and as others have said the location is good, but some of the basics are just no good. In a day when the Holiday Inn gives free wireless internet, embassy suites charges $12.95 per day. The vending machines have coke, pepsi and water - nothing else. $2.00. Want a snack? Not there. Most annyoying of all - the sound of the elevators gave an annoying drone as they go up and down. Will not stay here again.
Did spend some time around the corner at the Westin - will stay there next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank nightdave
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey. Without your input we cannot keep striving to excel and exceed our customers' expectations. It is unfortunate that you did not have a pleasant stay at our hotel. Sensitivity to the elevator noise is common and I wish you had had the opportunity to request a room away from the elevators. The Embassy brand of Hilton corporate has not gone complimentary on the Internet charges for any owned and managed Embassy Suites hotel and we must therefore follow the established guidelines. We do, however, offer free of charge, a business center for our guest’s usage. It appears that you may not have been aware that we offer Pepsi products on the pool side of the hotel and Coke products on the opposite side. I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a week in early November and could not have been more satisfied. I was a bit anxious about getting to the hotel from the Reagan airport but it was literally across the street from the King St metro station. The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable, and as requested I had extra pillows waiting on me. The biggest perk was the large breakfast served downstairs every morning and the snacks and cheap ($1-$2) drinks served at the bar every night. An additional perk is the shuttle van that was offered free by the hotel that took us all around Alexandria. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank morgieloo

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and look forward to your next visit. Best regards...Sylvie Venne

Reviewed December 31, 2010

This is the place if you are looking for convenient access to Alexandria, VA and/or Washington, D.C. The King Street Metro stop is across the street (Blue/Yellow line) as is the Amtrak station. It's about a 20 minute ride into the D.C. mall area. Get a room on the "train side" if you liking watching them go by.

A free trolley down King Street to the Alexandria waterfront along with access to multiple bus routes makes this location hard to beat. It's also across the street from the George Washington memorial built by the Masons (a surprisingly interesting tour whether you are a Lost Symbol book fan or not).

The hotel itself is a bit rundown but undergoing renovation. The staff are helpful and friendly. We got a nice free van ride to the waterfront on our first night by a very friendly staff member named Lawrence. The breakfast seemed a bit lame according to previous Embassy Suites standards but that might be because the hotel was relatively lightly occupied or perhaps Embassy Suites has cut back since our last stay at other such properties (a few years).

The sleeping rooms were very quiet but also in need of updating, especially the bathroom which actually had cabinet panels fall off from beneath the sink if hit by accident. The housekeeping was also erratic; we were left several times with 1/2 roll of toilet paper (for 4 people!). The room was cleaned effectively, however.

Despite the worn condition of the rooms we would definitely stay again (in warmer weather) because the location was so ideal.

We tried the on-site restaurant one-time (Duke's) because we were pressed for time and the service was quick and attentive (food just average).

Also beware of the parking garage ($24/day) because the spaces are very cramped and some spots say to leave your key in the ignition since spots are double up front-to-back (who would do that??).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Lewis W

Hello my name is Sylvie Venne and I am the administrative assistant at the Embassy Suites Old Town Alexandria. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very fortunate to be undergoing renovations as these will continue to enhance our product. We are part of a condominium complex, whose parking garage houses 1300 parking spaces for the hotels’ guests, employees, tenants, and daily/monthly metro traffic, and I am sure that given the opportunity to research the area, you would agree that our parking charge is either below or at par with other hotels in the area. I shall address your housekeeping concern with our Executive Housekeeper and thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

I had a corner suite. Separate bedroom, large living space with sofa bed, small but adequate bathroom with bathtub. Suite was very clean and roomy.
The problem was noise from room behind bedroom. T.V. noise one night and another night it sounded like people were doing gymnastics. Woke me up at 3:15am. Phone call to reception and security to the room sorted it out quickly. I've not stayed in any hotel, thus far, that just even t.v. noise came through the wall.
Reception desk staff were a hit and mix with their assistance.
Arriving and departure with luggage was basically do it yourself using a luggage carrier.
Breakfast was plentiful with hot and cold selection.
Bus shutle within 2 mile radius was very helpful.
I chose this chain due to travelling with a friend and requiring separate sleeping rooms.
I'm unsure what the noise level would be in the rooms around the atrium as noise certainly caried from downstairs up.
I didn't attend the manager reception so can't comment.
Would I stay at this chain again travelling alone, no.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank enjoytravelling_10

Hello my name is Sylvie Venne and I am the administrative assistant at the Embassy Suites Old Town Alexandria. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Although I am appreciative of the fact that the front office/security was able to attend to the noise level in the room next to yours, I am concerned that the noise was so excessive that it could be heard in your room! I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments. We at Embassy Suites appreciate specific input from our guests and use the information to continue to enhance our service and facility.