“Perfect location to Metro, Patent Office & Old Town”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Gainesville, Florida
“Perfect location to Metro, Patent Office & Old Town”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a week in early November and could not have been more satisfied. I was a bit anxious about getting to the hotel from the Reagan airport but it was literally across the street from the King St metro station. The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable, and as requested I had extra pillows waiting on me. The biggest perk was the large breakfast served downstairs every morning and the snacks and cheap ($1-$2) drinks served at the bar every night. An additional perk is the shuttle van that was offered free by the hotel that took us all around Alexandria. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank morgieloo
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and look forward to your next visit. Best regards...Sylvie Venne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This is the place if you are looking for convenient access to Alexandria, VA and/or Washington, D.C. The King Street Metro stop is across the street (Blue/Yellow line) as is the Amtrak station. It's about a 20 minute ride into the D.C. mall area. Get a room on the "train side" if you liking watching them go by.

A free trolley down King Street to the Alexandria waterfront along with access to multiple bus routes makes this location hard to beat. It's also across the street from the George Washington memorial built by the Masons (a surprisingly interesting tour whether you are a Lost Symbol book fan or not).

The hotel itself is a bit rundown but undergoing renovation. The staff are helpful and friendly. We got a nice free van ride to the waterfront on our first night by a very friendly staff member named Lawrence. The breakfast seemed a bit lame according to previous Embassy Suites standards but that might be because the hotel was relatively lightly occupied or perhaps Embassy Suites has cut back since our last stay at other such properties (a few years).

The sleeping rooms were very quiet but also in need of updating, especially the bathroom which actually had cabinet panels fall off from beneath the sink if hit by accident. The housekeeping was also erratic; we were left several times with 1/2 roll of toilet paper (for 4 people!). The room was cleaned effectively, however.

Despite the worn condition of the rooms we would definitely stay again (in warmer weather) because the location was so ideal.

We tried the on-site restaurant one-time (Duke's) because we were pressed for time and the service was quick and attentive (food just average).

Also beware of the parking garage ($24/day) because the spaces are very cramped and some spots say to leave your key in the ignition since spots are double up front-to-back (who would do that??).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Lewis W
Hello my name is Sylvie Venne and I am the administrative assistant at the Embassy Suites Old Town Alexandria. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very fortunate to be undergoing renovations as these will continue to enhance our product. We are part of a condominium complex, whose parking garage houses 1300 parking spaces for the hotels’ guests, employees, tenants, and daily/monthly metro traffic, and I am sure that given the opportunity to research the area, you would agree that our parking charge is either below or at par with other hotels in the area. I shall address your housekeeping concern with our Executive Housekeeper and thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I had a corner suite. Separate bedroom, large living space with sofa bed, small but adequate bathroom with bathtub. Suite was very clean and roomy.
The problem was noise from room behind bedroom. T.V. noise one night and another night it sounded like people were doing gymnastics. Woke me up at 3:15am. Phone call to reception and security to the room sorted it out quickly. I've not stayed in any hotel, thus far, that just even t.v. noise came through the wall.
Reception desk staff were a hit and mix with their assistance.
Arriving and departure with luggage was basically do it yourself using a luggage carrier.
Breakfast was plentiful with hot and cold selection.
Bus shutle within 2 mile radius was very helpful.
I chose this chain due to travelling with a friend and requiring separate sleeping rooms.
I'm unsure what the noise level would be in the rooms around the atrium as noise certainly caried from downstairs up.
I didn't attend the manager reception so can't comment.
Would I stay at this chain again travelling alone, no.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank enjoytravelling_10
Hello my name is Sylvie Venne and I am the administrative assistant at the Embassy Suites Old Town Alexandria. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Although I am appreciative of the fact that the front office/security was able to attend to the noise level in the room next to yours, I am concerned that the noise was so excessive that it could be heard in your room! I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments. We at Embassy Suites appreciate specific input from our guests and use the information to continue to enhance our service and facility.
Mathilda2009
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The hotel is beautiful, clean, well maintained and comfortable in common areas and rooms. The staff is excellent and friendly. The breakfast is absolutely terrific and includes everything from made to order pancakes and omelettes, cereal, bagels, juices, etc. Do not ask front desk for local information or directions. We asked three different questions on three different occasions and were given wrong information each time. That minor training issue aside, this is a great hotel and I would absolutely stay there the next time I'm in Alexandria.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Hello, my name is Sylvie Venne and I am the admin asst to the General Manager at the Embassy Suites Old Town. I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Without your input we cannot keep striving to excel and exceed our customers’ expectations. I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and appreciate your comments about the Front Office staff. I will review this information with our Front Office Manager. Thank you again, for your well intentioned and well received comments and I look forward to your return.
Albany, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful. Room service was really quick and food was good. They add a 16% service fee, and that simply took away from what I would have tipped the guy who brought the food. Evening reception was good. I had 3 children 9-12 and I slept on the pull out couch. It was amazingly comfortable. The atrium was kind of loud after 10, so I called and the hotel staff had it quieted down in a jiffy. It's an easy trip to DC - station right across the street. 2 stops from the airport. clean, fresh and no complaints. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BoomsMom
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always pleasing to know that our guests have had an enjoyable and comfortable stay at our property. We look forward to your return. Best regards… Sylvie Venne
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Great location. Convenient to metro. King Street is nearby for walking, window shopping, restaurants, etc.

The complimentary breakfast is fabulous--with the kids it's a great start to the day. The rooms are spacious.

Staff greeted us warmly whenever we were in/out from our adventures.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank luckyducktm
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was very pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and look forward to your return. Regards...Sylvie Venne
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 7, 2010

This hotel is the perfect place to stay with children because of the suite rooms, indoor pool, breakfast and close proximity to the metro station. We simply walked across the street and took the metro to the zoo, the museums and all the other DC attractions. There are also many restaurants in walking distance of the hotel that were great with young children.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
wasot_gm, Admin Asst at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your input is important, as we strive to exceed our customers’ expectations. I was very pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We look forward to your return and thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments. Best regards…Sylvie Venne