“Great location; warm cookies in the evening & free breakfast included!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
Virginia Beach
“Great location; warm cookies in the evening & free breakfast included!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently drove up to New York and decided to stay over & visit few of my favorite shops in Old Town on the trip home. Hotels are hard to find spur of the moment near DC; there is always something going on. I found a room at the Embassy Suites and was very pleased. The location is perfect: the free Old Town Trolley stops right out front and runs every 15 mins. The parking was onsite and reasonable, the room was clean and modern. But the best amenities by far were the fresh, warm cookies in the evening, the 24 hour coffee and tea service and the free breakfast in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was a quick trip but I will definitely return with my husband for a weekend and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Elevator just a tad slow; stay on lower floors if you are in a hurry or have limited time.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Teresa23462
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am so pleased that you decided to stay with us for a short visit and that you enjoyed our hotel. How fortunate that during your stay, you were greeted with a little something extra, the fresh warm cookies, as these are not offered nightly. I look forward to your next visit to our area and thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Old Town. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

You can't beat this location but sometimes the staff isn't too smart on helping you get the type of room you prefer. We have Hilton Honors Gold membership which should help get us some sort of minimal preference but it doesn't seem to work here. We ask (when making reservation AND at check-in) for a high floor, quiet room away from vending machines. We've stayed here at least 6 times and never got a high floor. This time she gave us a room next to vending machines AND the staff elevator which was NOT quiet. When we checked in at 3 p.m. it was quiet but when the staff went home after 4 p.m.it started whining and rattling. We had to go through the hassle of changing to another room.
If you are going to have children sleeping on the fold-out couch in the living area be forewarned that loud parties and gatherings at the bar/dining area can be .... loud. Fortunately, you can't hear them from the bedroom.
Very, very efficient and friendly woman cooking omelets.
Positive: Location for the King Street Station is perfect and there is a Whole Foods one block behind - convenient for take-out. An excellent choice for tourists.
Negative: There are NO trash cans by the vending machines or elevator. If you get take-out for dinner the dirty containers stay in your room all night and the wastebaskets in the room don't even have plastic bag liners. We like to get food trash like that out of our room at night, are used to taking it down to a vending area, so as to not attact bugs, etc, to the room. People were just putting their food trash outside their doors, it stayed there all night. Not nice.

• 3 of 5 stars
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am disappointed that your request for a certain type of room could not be fulfilled, as we do try to honor guest requests, as best we can, when available. The corner rooms, by the staff elevator, are usually quiet, but I can understand that as the suitekeepers come and leave for the day, there would be movement and some noise. We do not supply the vending areas with trash cans, in order to prevent incidents of pest infestation. Although we do have staff up on the floors throughout the day looking for trays and trash, we prefer and will gladly remove the trash from your room, upon request, and then bring it directly to the trash room for disposal. Understanding that you had issues with our property during this visit, I am still hopeful that you will visit us again in the future, and offer us an opportunity, to provide you with exceptional service. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Atlanta, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Nice room that was clean and fairly up to date. The hotel is close to the metro and the King street area which was great. We had a problem checking in- told to wait 45 minutes but it was eventually twice that. Also didn't receive anything for our Gold status which sounds picky, but every little bit helps. Parking is an issue and expensive. Breakfast was good but the serving area is very tight and not easily navigated. We would stay again but hope the problems were just a one-time thing.

1 Thank Michael F
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that we were able to reach out to you internally, and that your issues were addressed. We will look forward to your return soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell
Parkton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Embassy Suites in Alexandria is an outstanding hotel. It is conveniently located in Alexandria; right across from the Metro Station. This property has been recently remodeled and is beautiful. Even better than the property is their team. Everyone there is well trained, polite and extremely helpful. Due to my business, I stay there often. They always treat me as family and I have never had any issues on any visit. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all of our guests, but especially like to welcome back our repeat guests. I am pleased that we can be your home away from home, and look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you are looking for a business hotel in the Washington area this is a good idea. Close to Reagan Airport, you only have to cross the street from the Metro. There are a number of government workers who spend every weekday here and the atmosphere is one of camaraderie. There is a shuttle that will take you anywhere in the area if you need to pick up a few things. The Whole Foods market is just out the back door and across the courtyard. There are plenty of bars/restaurants within walking distance and there is a free shuttle bus that runs every half hour that will take you down to the waterfront in old town.

If the clientele was any indication, families seem to love it too!

The only down side to this hotel that I can see is that parking will run you some duckets and Internet will acquire a charge unless you are Gold or Diamond with Hilton.

Happy travels!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing Embassy Suites Alexandria and hope to be able to welcome you again soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
High Point, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was in Old Town Alexandria for a gals weekend to DC. The Embassy Suites was so convenient since we arrived by Amtrak and used the Metro -both stations across the street. Cooked to order breakfast was wonderful as was happy hour reception

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I hope your “gals” week-end will take you back to us some time soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am reviewing this hotel, even though I did not actually stay here on this trip. Let me explain.

My husband and I went to Alexandria for a short getaway trip, just overnight Friday to Saturday. We actually booked another hotel for Friday night. We arrived in Alexandria Friday afternoon and checked into the other hotel then went to the National Harbor to walk around and have lunch. We went back to the hotel to chill for a while change clothes, etc. We decided to venture into Old Town for some drinks and to listen to some music.

Long story short; shortly after arriving to the bar/restaurant my husband got up to go to the restroom. On the way back he slipped and fell HARD resulting in an ambulance ride to the hospital and a hip fracture, which would require surgery. Arrived back to the "other" hotel around 4:30 a.m. I had called them to see if I could extend my stay since I was going to have to stay in Alexandria for 1-2 more nights....they were unable to accommodate me for a rate I felt I could afford. They wanted $329 for the extra nights and were only willing to come down to $299. Considering everything I had on my plate, I could not afford these rates. They were unwilling to bend on the rate even after I explained my situation.

Enter the Embassy Suites; Saturday while my husband was in surgery I decided I better find accommodations for the next couple nights. I called the reservation line and booked two nights at $149/nt. However, when my husband got out of surgery and was taken to his room, the room he had was more like a suite and the nurse there said the I was welcome to stay in the hospital room with him (they had two pullout sofa beds). So I thought I would try to cancel the reservation at the Embassy Suites even though it was already past the check in time for that days resi.

I called and explained my situation to the girl and that I would like to cancel my resi if I could. Anyway she checked with her supervisor and not only cancelled the resi for me but also waived the cancellation fee due to the nature of the situation! I can't tell you how pleased I was with the customer service I received from a hotel I hadn't even stayed at! Thank you Embassy Suites for caring!!

Several years ago we stayed at the Embassy Suites on our first trip to Alexandria, so I can attest to the fact that the ES is also a very nice hotel to stay in.

• 5 of 5 stars
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of our staff. I am so sorry about your husband. How dreadful to be visiting a new place and have something like this happen to you. I am pleased however, that our staff was understanding towards your plight and did not cause you any more undue stress. I hope your husband is having a speedy recovery and that you may someday return to Alexandria. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager