“Nice Location”

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Nice Location”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was there five days for work and found this hotel to be very convenient to the Metro (King Street, Yellow/Blue Line). Old town Alexandria has a variety of old fashioned shops and restaurants to go through. There is also a free trolley bus between the Metro and the hotel that goes up and down King Street until 10:00 PM. There's other bus transportation and taxi's available as well. The hotel is pretty average for an Embassy Suites but they just started a remodel in the center area of the hotel as well as in the breakfast area, so breakfast is now served in the restaurant. Their breakfast was pretty good and the managers reception was average. I was disappointed at the fact that there was a $2.00 charge for well drinks, when other Embassy Suites don't charge for that. The beds and pillows were pretty comfortable. The sound from the Metro woke me up a few times, but overall it was pretty quiet (I was on the 6th floor).

Room Tip: I was inexplicably put into a handicap room that I didn't request as was the other person that I...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank supersport1
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As you noted Embassy Suites Alexandria is finalizing several major public area renovations that are scheduled for completion by mid 2012. I do wish that we could offer more than complimentary beer and wine however, due to the State of Virginia ABC laws we are obligated to follow the guidelines stipulated by the liquor license. We hope to welcome you back at the reveal of our new restaurant, bar and exercise room. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Korean first
Newtown Square, PA
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I, along with other band members, stayed at the hotel in December for the Scottish Christmas Walk. (Shamrock and Thistle Pipes and Drums) We were just disappointed we didn't have more time to enjoy our room and the hotel in general ! It is just wonderful...clean as clean can be, spacious,well decorated, excellent comfortable bed and lovely linens, and sooo quiet.

Breakfast is amazing! Anything you would like is available at no cost, it's included in the price of the room. There is also a very nice Manager's cocktail hour with lots of good munchies, also included.

If you desire a ride into the heart of town there is a shuttle at the door. The Metro is right across the street and a lovely restaurant right next door.

Seriously.....it doesn't get any better than the Embassy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ladybug41
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable, peaceful stay and hope to welcome you back at the reveal of our new restaurant, bar and exercise room sometime in May 2012. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2012

The Embassy Suites was a great choice for our family vacation and day trips on the metro into Washington. To avoid parking costs, if we had it to do over again we would probably fly into National rather than Dulles and take the Metro to the hotel which is just across the street.

The Whole Foods is also very convenient for picking up snacks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tanstaafl75034
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you for your review. Our hotel is very conveniently located only 2 stops from Reagan International airport and directly across from the King Street metro station. This offers the opportunity for our guests to see the sights of Washington DC without the parking headaches. For those guests hoping to stay closer in, the Old Town shuttle and the Embassy Suites hotel shuttle, both offer transportation to Old Town Alexandria and its varied shops and restaurants. I look forward to your next visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I took my wife and three sons (6,4,and 1) for long weekend trip to DC. We were looking for a nice location with easy access to public transportation. Thsi hotel was closer to the metro than most hotels in DC. The hotel is in alexandria but the metro station is right accros the street. We were able to leave the car in the garage at the hotel. We spent 2 whole days at the Mall exhibits as it was 20 minutes by train. Also, this is in the old town of alexandria with nice shops and restaurants within walking distance. As always, you get the breakfast in your rate. Some are better and this one was better than most. The family really enjoyed our stay and we caught a deal on the room under $100 per night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BigMacII
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy both Washington DC and Alexandria Old Town VA during your visit. How fortunate that you were able to avail yourself of a discounted rate, making your stay even more advantageous. We look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is my first time at this hotel but I have stayed at several others in this area. First impression was very good. Fancy lobby and enthusiastic front desk staff. The room itself was just ok. Comfortable bed, standard Embassy Suites two room setup, flat screen tv in the front room, everything was clean and the room was quiet. Breakfast was good and never crowded. Location is excellent for walking to dinner (20+ places within a mile), movie, shopping or the grocery (whole foods around the corner). Metro station is across the street to go further than one would want to walk. Small negatives erode at the rating score; bath/shower look like 1970 vintage, small tube tv in the bedroom, sofa sleeper and chair in the living room was not really comfortable to sit on, no power plug near the desk (and internet cable) in the bedroom, room service trays left in the hallway in the evening were still there 12 hours later and $30/day for parking. It looks like the hotel is partway through a remodel so maybe some of these negatives will be addressed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NotFarAway
Thank you for choosing our property for your stay. As first impressions are important, it is unfortunate that we were not able to “WOW” you this time. We are excited about the renovations taking place this year, as a new restaurant, bar and exercise room are scheduled for completion mid 2012, and case goods for the rooms are scheduled for completion end of 2012. I am hoping to have another opportunity to service and “WOW” you in our newly updated property. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We (a couple with 1 child) booked an adjoining suite with another couple with 1 child. The kids were 9 and 6 years old. We stayed for a few nights over New Year's to enjoy Old Town's "first night" festivities.

The trip itself was great - the hotel is conveniently located, First Night was fun, and the kids loved the amenities (the "indoor" hallways, the atrium, the pool). The adults weren't expecting too much and the hotel was perfectly adequate. The breakfast buffet was actually pretty good (included in the price). The pool was quite nice but oddly closed during the hours of 11 am to 4 pm.

The hotel definitely shows its age - it is like time stopped in 1982. It is pretty worn and reminded the adults of family trips we took in the 70's (not necessarily a bad thing - but if you are expecting a modern, stylish hotel . . . this ain't it).

If you need a suite and need to be in Old Town for night or two, it's good for families with kids. Other than that, I'd skip it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and hope to be able to welcome you back to our newly renovated property; restaurant, bar and exercise room scheduled for completion mid 2012 and case goods in rooms end of 2012. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel every year for a few days before New Year's Eve with a departure on New Year's Day. I think this past stay will be our last.

The rooms are in need of being refurbished. I know that they are currently doing this, but it seems like it's been going on for two years now. I will not base my review on the quality of room furnishings or carpet as I know they are trying to work on that.

Check-in was pleasant. I was greeted warmly and welcomed back as a prior visitor. Notice was made of my HH Diamond status. No high rooms were available so we were put on the 3rd floor. My HH amenities were not in the room as promised but they were delivered later after I stopped by the front desk to remind them.

Exercise room is clean and well maintained. Did not use the pool.

Underground parking was secure and well lit. Easy access to the hotel from the garage.

The quality of the breakfast was pretty bad. Fruit was battered and bruised. The bacon was terrible - in texture, taste, presentation. The sausage links were consistently (every day) burnt. The omelets were "okay" - nothing to write home about. The line cooks at the omelet stations were trying to keep the line moving, but it very much felt like you were being rushed through the process. My omelet one day was still runny as they were trying to get them off the grill so quickly.

The food offerings at the manager's reception were pretty dismal. Popcorn and corn chips.

I know the hotel was busy because of the holiday but a few thinks bothered me. Kids were running up and down the halls all evening. I might understand New Year's Eve itself, but this was every night. As a parent, the first person I blame is the parents of those kids. However, I would have expected that the hotel would do a better job of identifying those types of issues and speaking to the kids. Most of them would have returned to their rooms or at least settled down a bit.

Also, after the evening reception, there was usually popcorn scattered throughout the building - elevators and hallways. It usually wasn't cleaned up until after we left for sightseeing the next morning after breakfast.

The one thing that struck me as outstanding were the nice people working the floor during breakfast. They were going table to table, saying hello and cleaning up empty plates and trays. Nice touch.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it certainly left me wanting more out of an Embassy Suites.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
I would like to take the time to thank you for your repeated patronage. It is unfortunate that your stay was not to our Embassy Suites standards. Thank you for recognizing our staff, as we consider them to be our best asset. We are excited about the numerous changes in our hotel with a new restaurant, bar and exercise room scheduled for completion mid 2012, and case goods for the rooms late 2012. Our complimentary breakfast and Manager’s reception follow guidelines established for brand consistency, and although items are not to be substituted, the quality will be reviewed. I am hoping to have the opportunity to showcase our newly renovated property and welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager