2,119 results
All reviewsacross the streetmade to order breakfastthe manager's receptiongreat locationmetro stationold townhappy hourking streetfree trolleypretzelswhole foodsparking garagedc areamasonic templepull out coucheasy accessfree breakfast
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Parking 24.00 a day
Internet 12.95 a day

After arriving at the hotel we had looked for some hotel information ( have never stayed anywhere they didnt have some sort of booklet/binder with information) and couldn't find any so we went ahead and went on sightseeing. After coming back around 8:30 that evening we stopped at the front desk to get a menu for dukes to possibly get room service. The lady told us they didnt have a menu but there should be one up in the room. Explained to her there wasn't one and she said to check the black hotel binder, again explained that there wasn't one she said she would send one up. We waited about 20 min for them to bring the binder and after looking at the menu decided to go out instead. Later on that night went to find the vending machines which were broke on the 3rd floor (which is where we were staying) the lady refunded the money apologized and said the ones on the 4th and 5th are broken as well but to try the 6th. The next day we took the kids down for breakfast which we waited a good 10-15 min before we were able to sit down to eat, they definitely need more seating. Our daughter had an allergic reaction after we had gone back up to the room and looked in the hotel information and there was no medical facility information and we hadn't been using the internet as that was 12.95 a day which is ridiculous. Called down to the front desk they said they would print off the information to the closest urgent care which after looking at the paper was closed thankfully there was a doctor there that looked at her for us which we really appreciated. The room did have a lot of space and was average nothing spectacular. We've stayed a many hotels and never had to pay out for all the extras that they charge here. The hotel and room wasn't that nice for the price of the room and all the extra charges. The breakfast was good but didnt make up for all the other things. Next time we will pay a little more and stay closer to downtown. One plus it was right across the street from the King St Metro

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Embassy Suites Alexandria. It appears that from the moment you arrived we failed to provide you with the attention and concern that as a guest in our hotel you deserved. As I am uncertain as to why the room information binder was not in your room or the vending machines not operable, I will address how this could have been better handled at the time and ways to prevent it in the future. I can appreciate how disconcerting it is when a child is ill, especially when visiting a new place. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your issues more at depth by calling 703-684-5900 and asking for Mary Anne Russell. I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments and look forward to your call. Regards….Mary Anne Russell General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2011

I got there and once again my room was in a noisy area. The bellman came and helped me get to a more quiet room quickly. They're always willing to accommodate me. Room service also made me a vegetarian meal as well. Just a great stay for me once again. I also got a complimentary ride to the train station on a very windy and cold day. My first and only choice of where to stay in Alexandria/DC area. Convenience is a plus too. Complimentary breakfast is also great! They also granted me early arrival and extended stay/check out.

Room Tip: Ask for extended stay, or early arrival!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always pleasing to have satisfied repeat customers! We look forward to your return. Best regards…Mary Anne Russell

Reviewed April 3, 2011

We have stayed here many times. The last several times we've noticed a change. As usual, I ordered a cheese tray , a fruit tray,and extra towels for our room. The extra towels were there, but no food trays. When I called the desk, I was told that I had never ordered this.
I did not want any extra charges and I was not happy to be told I was incorrect, so I told
her to not order any food for me now. When my daughter pulled up my order and we went to the front desk, the desk clerk apologized and gave us free parking. Then we were told our food was in another room. Strange - it was never delivered. Strange.
On a positive note, the room was clean and very quiet. We enjoyed the breakfast as
usual. I truly did not appreciate the rudeness of the first desk clerk, but I guess the other
one tried to make amends. Not sure if I'll stay here again, even though I'm a Hilton Honors - gold member. Not sure that means anything anymore. It is a nice hotel. We've
stayed here many times, but it is disturbing to be told that you are wrong about an order.
Oh well - it is what it is.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Although we live about an hour's drive away, we chose Alexandria Virginia for my special birthday weekend; it was my husband's birthday the day before also. We always try to book and Embassy Suites for special occasions, as we love the atriums, breakfast, and evening managers receptions. This ES had the advantage of being walkable to Old Town (19 blocks but lots of good shopping along the way), a free shuttle to Old Town (King Street Trolley runs 1130am to 10pm ish) and the Metro just across the street. I didn't find out there was a Whole Foods just around the back side of the hotel until we were driving away;

In our booking notes, we added that it was a special occasion; we also put in a "bid" for an upgrade to the Presidential Suite if available. We booked a "Park and Play" package, and were very happy with the cleanliness, lighting, and accessibility of the garage beneath the hotel.

On our way to the hotel, I checked the website to see if the upgrade suite was still available, and it was! Upon check-in, no mention was made of my bid, and when I asked, the front desk clerk said "sorry" with no further explanation. Disappointment #1

Disappointment #2 When we got to our room, we found it was on the 3rd floor (out of 8,) right in front of the elevators, and the view from the atrium window was of a column and elevators, not the atrium. Stampede of elementary school-aged kids was the constant background music. Wow, if that's my first "special treat" since hitting my AARP birthday, I can only imagine life is REALLY going to be all downhill from here.

Only good thing about this room location was that it was a few doors down from the pool and jacuzzi, so I didn't have to wander wet all over the place after a soak. They had full time lifeguards, who sat there and stared at you from 2 feet away the whole time I was in the jacuzzi; that felt weird so I left after just a few minutes. Also, the pool/.hot tub area is not open 11am to 4pm weekdays; that was disappointment #3, that I wouldn't be able to soak after hauling luggage. I didn't ask to switch it as I'm just not an arguement/confrontation person; the hotel had the opportunity to do it right the first time and I was brushed off.

Breakfast was excellent; in addition to the made-to-order omelet station the chef will make you pancakes and bacon.

The Manager's evening reception was a disappointment (#4) as the munchies were tortilla chips, salsa and popcorn, and the 2nd night tortilla chips, salsa, and pretzels. The last ES I stayed in (Nashville) had wings one night and cheese and crackers the next.

OK, on to the good stuff - the room was immaculate, as was the bathroom. Nice toiletries, and our request for extra towels, a corkscrew, and bottled water (per our online reservation) were honored. Happy Birthday! Location is perfect. Mini-fridge, microwave, little sink ( no hot water here) were helpful; we knew to bring paper plates, utensils, etc from other ES stays. No need to touch the car for 48 hours after we parked it; traffic is not nice in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatLadyChristi

First off let me wish you a Happy Belated Birthday! As always we appreciate our guests’ candid comments and evaluation of our property. We are fortunate and pleased to offer the possibility of a discounted upgrade to our guests. This upgrade however, is pending availability at the check in time. We will look to the Front Office to address how they assign a room when an upgrade is not available. Due to the design of our pool, the lifeguard has been situated in an area where he can best view all water based activities. Embassy Suites recognizes the evening Manager’s reception as a pillar of our brand and has revisited the selection and variety of snack items. We are excited of what will be taking place and look forward to the consistency of presentation we will be offering. Once again thank you for your comments as we look forward to the possibility of serving you again in the future. Best regards…Mary Anne Russell General Manager

Reviewed March 2, 2011

The Embassy Suites brand has provided a consistently traveler-friendly experience for as long as the brand has been in existence. The rooms are spacious, the free breakfast is unmatched in quality by any other hotel, the evening Manager's reception is fantastic to help unwind after a day of business or sightseeing, the lobby is welcoming, the elevators are fast, everything one would hope for in a suite-style mid-range hotel experience, especially for longer stays. The Alexandria Embassy Suites lives up to these standards and provides a location within walking distance of Old Town Alexandria and across the street from the Metro Blue/Yellow lines to get you anywhere in or near DC in short order.
The down side of the Embassy Suites legacy is that it is a legacy concept, at least in Alexandria. A CRT television in the bedroom, a miniature microwave and refrigerator, no dishes or silverware, $12.95/night for only passably-fast internet was great 5 years ago, but now no silverware, for instance, means bringing a butter knife or corkscrew as checked luggage, a $50 round trip baggage fee. The operators of this hotel should take a field trip to a Residence Inn to experience what a 2011 road warrior expects on long stays.
An apparently recent booking development, the chance to upgrade-for-a-reduced-price at the time of booking seems like a great idea, but a traveler feels like the loser in a rigged lottery if the upgrade fails to materialize. The denial of a hoped-for and willing-to-be-paid-for upgrade at check-in makes for a less-than-great first impression of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey. Without your input we cannot keep striving to excel and exceed our customers' expectations. Thank you for your appreciative comments about our hotel and brand. We are fortunate that our hotel is being constantly upgraded and will be seeing new flat screen TV’s in the rooms by June this year. Although we do not have dishes or silverware in the rooms, we would gladly provide these to any guest upon request. I appreciate the disappointment, when you were unable to upgrade at check in, unfortunately it is based on availability and cannot be guaranteed. I thank you again for your well intentioned and well received comments. We at Embassy Suites appreciate specific input from our guests and use the information to continue to enhance our service and facility. We look forward to your next visit. Best regards... Mary Anne Russell