“I can't wait to return!”

La Mexicana Bakery & Taqueria
Ranked #8 of 27 Bakeries in Alexandria
Cuisines: Mexican
Annandale, Virginia
“I can't wait to return!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Visited this place a couple weeks ago on the recommendation from a Yelp review. This place IS a hole in the wall.. in a funky shopping strip next to a 7-11. The space is very brightly lit (no romance here!) and one entire wall is lined with cases full of delicious looking cakes and pastries. The seating consists of about 8 or so, two top tables spread around the room. The place was clean and well kept. We were greated promptly upon arriving by possibly the owner... very friendly.

I got the carnitas burrito with cheese, as was recommended... this was THE MOST spectacular burritos I think I've ever had. The carnitas were so flavorful and had crispy edges from being cooked all day.. tender as well. The burrito was huge.. much more than should be eaten in one serving, which was great, since it was also my lunch the next day... equally good the next day! My neice couldn't decide what to have, so asked for a recommendation. The owner suggested the Mexican Sandwich, which was similar to a Cuban Sandwich, and also exceptionally yummy... but also huge! My husband appreciated the other half we took home.

There is a refridgerator with cold drinks.. blackberry, tamarind and horchata. I had the blackberry, which was fruity without being too sweet. My neice had the tamarind, which was surprisingly good... I was unsure about it but really liked it.

We finished the meal with a sopapilla, which was about twice the size of a dinner plate... we shouldn't have eaten the whole thing, but it was so crispy and had just the right amount of honey and not too much cinnamon.

We were there on a Monday evening and the place was constantly busy.. people coming in for a bite to eat or carryout, but moreso to stock up on the pastries. I cannot wait to return for more yummy goodness.

• Visited November 2012

Washington, DC
“A Real Find”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a little Mexican restaurant running out of a bakery. The food is absolutely authentic Mexican. The Tortas are to die for!

It is a husband and wife operation. They prepare everything and serve it to you with pride. Anytime a cook hands you their food and looks you in the eye, you are in for some great eating. This place follows that rule.

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Great food in an unsuspecting place”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is a small restaurant located in a strip mall just off of Route 1 in Alexandria, VA. I read a review and decided to try it. I had the chips and guacamole along with a pork burrito and beverage. It was very good and plenty of food, but it was almost $18, and that is a bit high in my opinion. They had a nearly unlimited supply of tasty looking pastries, but I didn't have enough room to try any of them. I do plan on going back to try some.

• Visited July 2012
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Great "hole-in-the-wall" mexican place”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I say hole int eh wall only because its a little hard to find and from the outside looks like it'd be sloppy. But the inside is very neat and the staff is friendly and the food is authentic!

• Visited February 2012