“Good local/family owned Italian restaurant (replacement for Mike's Italian down the street that shut its doors after ove”
Review of Pema's Restaurant

Pema's Restaurant
Ranked #340 of 770 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just went this past weekend for the 2nd time. Not bad and reasonable. Average bottle of wine was in the $20s. Was nice and quiet and the waitress, the owners' daughter, was very nice and friendly. The sauce was good---very thick--if you like that.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I always come back and have the same thing, linguini with red clam sauce. I't just that good that I don't want anything else. I'm sure there are other things maybe the Chicken Picatta or Chicken Princess that are good but not for me... I MUST have the red clam sauce. I can have it on angle hair pasta if I need a radical change, heck I like variety!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Good place to go that's not touristy. Food was fresh and great service. Doesn't look great from the outside but worth a stop in!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

My friend took us there for Brunch on Sunday. He had dined there before for dinner, and thought it was a nice place. The brunch had omelets to order, prepared by the owner. It also had a number of Italian main courses that were fantastic. The desert layout was also very good. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Pema’s was a place I’ve been driving by for years. Saw a couple of reviews on line which indicated it might be worth a stop. As we all know by now, food reviews can be very subjective. In this case, I don’t agree with other websites which indicated this was a decent place to try if in the area. In fact, I think it would be worth your while to go OUT of your way a bit farther north into Old Town and find another Italian place to try. Pema’s had absolutely nothing notable about it to warrant going there. The service was friendly and the waitstaff were fine but the food was completely unremarkable. The red sauce was a bit too peppery for my taste and the chicken cordon blue, although homemade, was deep-fried to hardness. But by far the biggest problem were the smallest touches – which they could easily rectify to make this a decent dining experience. They brought out bread which was warm but seemed to be made from cheap grocery-store quality frozen bread loaves. Along with it they bring out a scoop of what appeared to be butter – but alas, was MARGARINE! Flavorless margarine which left a layer of grease on the palate! Either do butter or do olive oil but NOT margarine for goodness sake! Second, they brought out “parmesan” but it’s actually the cheap, powdery fake stuff that has absolutely no resemblance to cheese. Last but not least, their website is a bit misleading. The only menu they have on-line is their lunch menu with lunch prices. If you go for dinner, the prices are quite a bit more for the same fare which seems steep for the area/location (apx. $14 for meat sauce) even though they give you a small bland salad with the meal. All in all, based on our experience we would not go back nor would we recommend.

Thank TwoTravelersToG... A