“One night..was enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
OCEAN VIEW
“One night..was enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Reserved this hotel with a groupon. price was ok. Close to Metro and they offered free shuttle service. All employees I had contact with were friendly and helpful. The hotel is very big. It is also a bit dated. I believe this hotel is an extended stay place. While returning from the Metro in the shuttle we made quite a few stops to drop off passengers (at local pharmacies) or pick up passengers at (dougnut shops). It seemed they were there for more than just a few days. Which leads to my biggest negative for this hotel. The smell once we exited the elevator on our floor. Old , stale and every kind of cooking smell all into one stench. It was making me sick. I thought if my room smells like this I can not stay here. Upon entering our room, which was very nice, clean, roomy with nice flat screen televisions. It smelled fine. Thank goodness. While sleeping in a very comfy bed, like some other reviewers have noted It was very noisy. Doors slamming all night. I'm not sure why but I felt a little scared, at one point about 3am I thought someone was banging on my door. I think it was someone elses room but it seemed that loud. Enjoyed the complimentry breakfast. It was nothing special. It was enough for us to start our sight seeing day. The woman that was the attendant in the breakfast room was very pleasant. All and all ok stay but I would probably not pick this hotel. I think you could get closer to walking restaurants and Alexandria ativities for maybe a couple more $$ and I think it would be worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank xrayjng

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is an extended stay hotel. This hotel may be for the working ladies. Definitely not a Sheraton hotel. Never again. This hotel is a 2.5 and no more. Front desk was pleasant but it was hard to focus on anything with all the kids running around. The furniture was from good times the series in the 70's. I just did not feel safe to sleep on the sheets with my bare skin. Even though the rooms are exactly the same you see on the website the pictures have to be from years ago when the furniture still looked fresh. The furniture I see here today in 2013 looks like it has been in a college dorm. I am warning all looking for quality at a cheap price it does not exist. I have learned my lesson for the last time. Spend the extra hundred or so it's worth it.

• Stayed October 2013
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I would strongly recommend you find another place to stay. I did not feel safe or comfortable. When we arrived at 9:30 pm we were told that our room was just being 'messed up' (meaning fixed up). Why so late for preparing a room? The room was big, but old and the cleanliness was questionable. The sheets smelled of bleach which was somewhat comforting. The hallways and parking lot were very busy and loud well past 3 a.m. Doors constantly slamming, people noise both inside and out, and a constant elevator beeping went all night long. We could not wait for the sun to come up in order to leave.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights and the place was just average. Quite noisy, the breakfast was absolutely lousy. The staff was helpful though (especially when I wanted to find a better place to eat) and the rooms were clean and spacious.
This is a budget hotel, I understand that. Apparently suitable for families with kids (although most of the ones I've seen there seemed to be long stay - a different thing altogether), not suitable for business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Got a good deal on groupon.com to stay here. The suite is decent size though some of the light switches didn't work. Waited for shuttle to go to metro and he left us at the front entrance and never picked us up. The pool is a nasty puke color green. Hallways smell like they went overboard on the carpet cleaning. Location is in a residential neighborhood that is heavily populated with Muslims. Cheap place to stay to see DC

• Stayed September 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty average and bordering on unimpressive. The rooms are basic and somewhat outdated, but sufficient. The hallways smell like whatever the long term hotel guests are cooking in their rooms. There is, apparently, a family/families that actually live there. There were a large number of unattended and unsupervised children running around the hotel. Check-in went smoothly and hotel staff were friendly and informative. Unfortunately, while checking-in, there was a child who literally elbowed his way in front of us and began climbing on the front desk, demanding that the employee retrieve something for him from a back room. This theme continued when, on several occasions, unattended children would jump in front of us to get on the elevator first despite our group having large bags and/or a stroller, etc. The hotel shuttle is efficient at getting guests TO the metro station, however, the shuttle was slow to pick us up FROM the metro station. I tried to call the hotel 10 minutes ahead of our arrival at the metro station, but was told to call back after we had arrived at the station. This left us standing outside the metro station after dark with three children for around 20-30 minutes (its only a 5 minute drive from the hotel). Breakfast goes quickly and there are not lot of options. Get down there early for the free breakfast buffet if you want to eat.

The restaurant at the hotel is fantastic! Staff is friendly, warm and conversational. The bartender/waitress is phenomenal (I believe her name is Monica). Our group (3 adults, 3 children) were there on a Saturday night and there was a loud argument over a college football game among some other patrons. Because foul language was used within ear shot of our kids, we were comped our meals. Absolutely the right thing to do! And the food is great too! Fair prices, great quality. Lots of options for kids and adults. One of the children in our group is highly allergic to peanuts and when I asked about any peanuts or peanut cooking oil in the kitchen, the bartender actually went to the kitchen, spoke with kitchen staff and checked every container of cooking oil to ensure safety. I cannot say enough about the restaurant! It's probably the best part about this hotel.

If you're on a budget and don't mind some inconveniences, this hotel will be sufficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jmtcaw02
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Our experience is based on the time we stayed.
we stayed for 6 days in a suite. the reviewed were higher than our experience.
The location is excellent. cleaning is an issue that you need to consider before going into this hotel.

Room Tip: Inspect the room cleanness. Location next to Domino's Pizza and 7/11. CVs/pharmacy and other s...