“Disappointing”

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Hampton, Virginia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I made last-minute reservations here based on the fact that they were pet friendly. I went directly through their website, and was surprised that there was not an option to let them know that I was bringing pets. So I called after making the reservation. The guy on the phone acted confused, like he had to check the pet policy. Interesting, I thought, since the website listed clearly that they allowed pets. He comes back to the phone, and says there is a weight limit. I was staring at the website, which said nothing about a weight limit. Thankfully, my dogs were under the limit, but how do you not post the policy clearly on your website like every reputable hotel company out there?

I called the next day, as we were driving to DC to confirm my reservation. The woman on the phone could not find my reservation. Why? It turns out they took my guest's name and turned it into the account name. So even though the reservation was made in my name, with my address, my phone number, and my credit card, my boyfriend listed on the very bottom as "guest" was turned into the account name. Sexist or just carelessness? I'm not sure, but I corrected the staff 3 times - then on the phone, when I checked in, and when I checked out, and by then, my name wasn't even listed on the bill at all. They had removed my name entirely and put the bill in my guest's name. So disrespectful after I continuously let them know it was incorrect! Anyways, once on the phone, the woman told me they usually have a policy of only one pet, but since it was the holidays, she would let it go. Ummm...thanks? If it was listed clearly on their website, I would have known that and not stayed there in the first place!

On to the actual stay. The room was spacious, but there was an odor throughout the room. There was one bathroom to share amongst 4 guests - 2 adults and 2 children. There was no separate sink space from the toilet/shower, so if someone was using the restroom or showering, you had nowhere to get ready. Even worse, there were no mirrors outside of the bathroom, making morning routines VERY difficult. There was no fan in the bathroom, creating a sauna after 4 showers. Plus, you could hear everything people were doing in the bathroom from the living area, which I'm sure could lead to awkward situations. Everything was dated, didn't exactly seem clean, and the layout for the suite was far from ideal. I will not stay here again. The experience was continually frustrating, and they never corrected their mistakes, nor apologized for them in the first place. They almost seemed to have the attitude that I should just deal with it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are spacious but not overly clean. Dirt in the corners, burnt out bulbs, sticky floor in the kitchen are a few of the features we found. I also found that the toilet paper has wheat in it. I'm intolerant to it, so I called the front desk and asked for something else. I was asked to use tissues instead. Awesome, I can have Kleenex stuck to my soft tissues that are already on fire.
To be fair, you're not paying for a four or five star hotel here, but you're not getting clean or well kept either.
If the hotel staff actually reads these reviews I hope they take to heart one of the reasons people with severe allergies and intolerances stay in suites are because we can't eat out safely. If we can't cook there either due to lack things like can openers and utensils we are going to have a pretty miserable time, especially if we are now faced with an infection from toilet paper of all things. :(

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Drsizer
Alexandria
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The kitchen has equipment to cook. No plate or silver. Dishwasher, refig, microwave basically the works. The bathroom is tiny though. Spacey living room. Nice bedroom. Great restaurant. Service could be improve. And don't delivery meals to the room. But it best rates in town for what u get.

• Stayed December 2012
Abington, PA
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We enjoyed the free breakfast- the kids loved making their own waffles.

The full sized refrigerator made it easy to keep our sodas and juices for the kids cold and handy. We could have even made dinner if we wanted- they have full kitchens.

We enjoyed the hotel and the friendly staff. We have found ourselves a new DC hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laexp
Chehalis
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We hosted a Reunion 5 - 8 Oct for 49 former ships company and guests of a Navy Ship that we served on during the Korean and Vietnamese Wars and periods in between. Our arrangements were made through Mrs. Linda Pernell and the Restaurant Manager Steven. The Hotel facilities were beyond acceptable, in fact almost all of the attendees commented that these were the best rooms they had ever had for the numerous reunions they have attended. The Hospitality room was again the best room we have ever had. If there were any complaints it would be for the other inconsiderate guests in the Hotel that allowed their children to run up and down the halls and then yelling at them at the top of their voices. The hotel staff did the best they could to control them, but they were foreigners from the Middle East, where apparently manners and consideration are not taught. I cannot praise Mrs. Pernell enough for the assistance she gave us during this period, she was simply outstanding. We had a banquet on the last evening of our reunion. For entrees we had Prime Rib, Fish and Chicken Florentine. I personally questioned each and every guest and to a person they exclaimed over the food. I had the Prime Rib and can honestly say that this was the best Prime Rib I have had in many years, you could almost cut it with a butter knife. Steve the Restaurant Manager was actually there to oversee the dinner and the arrangements, much more than I expected.
As to the rest of the hotel staff, again I can't sing their praises high enough, from the ladies at the front desk to the most important of the staff the normally unsung room staff and maintenance staff were simply wonderful. All requests were promptly and effeciently responded to.
Can't thank them enough.

Room Tip: All of the Suites were more than one would expect from any Hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ChehalisMasterChief
NC
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Washington Suites. Our suite was huge: living room, dining, bedroom, bathroom, and full kitchen. It was clean and comfortable--and a little too cold from the AC.

The continental breakfast was fine. Muffins, juice, cereal, fresh fruit, and very good coffee. The attendant was very nice and accommodating; when the bananas ran out, she brought some out to our table.

We tried the restaurant for the afternoon meal but the music was really loud and we left.

The hotel was easy to find , easily accessible to 395 and Duke St in Alexandria.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am so glad i decided to stay in this hotel for the weekend , this hotel has spacious rooms and it comes with a kitchen how combinient !!!!!!! the shuttle bus was a plus i was able to get to the metro station with no problem... very nice saffs specially ISIS who would always recived us with a smile. over all i would strongly recomend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family