“SMH”

Washington Suites Alexandria
Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The front desk is not helpful and very RUDE!! I called the front desk to ask about food in the area that delivers. I was told Domino's and Pizza Hut. I asked any other places near by that delivers? She said I have the number to Pizza Hut do you want it!! or you can come to the front desk to get a list of restaurants in the area - in a snappy tone. I went to the desk and asked "MiMi" for the list and she continued with her snappy tone. I checked in on a Saturday evening and Mimi was there. Sunday (all day) and early Monday she was still there! NO Wonder she's nasty - She Gets No Sleep!!
Kids running through the halls, call the front desk to complain and "THEY SAY" their sending someone up to speak with the guest and NO ONE comes. Call again and front desk says, "We came but no one is in the halls" Said they would come back. Never showed! However, I looked at these kids running from on room to another til at least midnight! ugh...
I walked in the kitchen once, my shoes stuck to the floor - never went back in the rest of my stay!!

I have attached the view from my 6th floor room! - enjoy!! - I didn't!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank alis L

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I checked in Aug 16th after a chemo treatment in DC. Vicky had already process my reservation and selected a room with balcony so that I could sit outside and relax. IKram Hadi was on customer service manager that day. She greet me like a familar family member and checked we in swiftly. inquiring if I had any needs and welcome. I received great service from her , Vicky and Carmen.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2012

the lady from the front desk was very rude. i simply asked for assistance regarding cancelling my reservation because:
the room was disgusting
the carpets were dirty
there were a lot of sick people in wheelchairs
obviously the families of the sick people are living at the hotel
there was this strong hospital smell

she refused to give me her name just for reference since there was no manager around and instead gave me a male name. how rude can she get? definitely not booking with them again. i hope you too won't..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank vanessa g
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a great experience at the Washington Suites when we stayed there for 8 days during a military PCS. We were looking for something that was within the government allowance that would give us more room than a typical hotel. We have a 2 kids--2 years and 6 years--so having a separate room for sleeping allows us to stay up after the kids have gone to sleep.

We got a special rate on the website that gave us a 1-bedroom deluxe suite and a rental car within our allowance. This was great b/c we were returning from an overseas assignment and our car was in-transit. This saved us a few hundred dollars that we would have had to spend on a rental car. This hotel had all the small amenities that make a long stay much more comfortable and convenient. In addition to the rental car that was waiting for us at the hotel, the hotel offers free continental breakfast (pretty standard, but always plenty of options), a nice swimming pool that my kids begged to go to daily, free internet in our room, three computers in the lobby connected to a printer/scanner that came in very handy when we had some mortgage papers to sign and return (free), a decent fitness room, and tons of space in our room with a full kitchen, dining room, and living room. The kitchens even had dishwashers. Honestly, the furninishings in the rooms were nicer than I had expected. There was granite in the kitchen, 2 new and big flat panel TVs with plenty of channels, nice comfortable beds with good quality linens and a down comforter. Even the soap and shampoo were Bath and Bodyworks brand, not cheapie stuff. Finally, we got daily housekeeping services which is not always the case at extended stay hotels.

The location is convenient to DC and Northern VA. The hotel offers a shuttle to the Metro and local restaurants and stores, but we did not use this since we had a rental car.

Overall, I was very satisfied and impressed with what we got for the money. I would highly recommend it for families and those with young kids. It is also good for larger groups since you can sleep 4-6 in a suite. It was a great place for a military family to stay during a PCS and I would stay there again. It offers a lot of amenities and they don't nickel and dime you for them.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the mechanical sounds of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Washington Suites is GREAT for large families and groups. It reminds me of going to summer camps with my family when I was a kid. However it is HORRIBLE if what you want/need is a good night's sleep. The hotel caters to large groups and families who treat the entire complex as an extension of their rooms. When we were there, there was a huge group of foreign travelers, a large family reunion and at least one youth group in the complex. The noise level throughout the hotel was intense virtually the entire night. We had people in the hallways outside our rooms, talking, running back and forth, yelling at each other, opening and slamming doors, each night until early morning (4 am). Don't get me wrong, the staff is great, the manager very attentive and concerned (he even left instructions for the front desk to call him at home in the evening if the "parties" continued). But, in the end, the staff seems rather powerless to control the types of groups this hotel caters to. If "family camp" is what you are looking for - and it obviously is for many - then this is where you should stay. The rooms are fine, its not expensive and they have a great shuttle to the train station that gets you into DC quickly. But for me, the most important quality of a hotel is being able to ensure a good night sleep for its guests. Like family camp, sleep here only comes from pure exhaustion!

Room Tip: Tips for finding a quiet room? Good luck!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John H
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We booked a 1 bedroom deluxe suite with the "family extravaganza" package. Let me tell you there is nothing extravagent about it. When you do the math it's not a deal! You actually spend more by doing it that way.

Our FIRST room smelled so musty we had to change rooms. We were put in a regular room, not a one bedroom deluxe suite and told and I quote "the price is the same if I move you to a regular room or a 2 bedroom suite". I decided to wait and speak to Carmen Ball at the desk in the morning. She was wonderful! Well that evening when we went to make dinner we realized there were no pots/ pans /dishes. I asked the front desk if we could get some and their response was " they're in the dishwasher". Umm are you sure about that we dont have a dishwasher. So you know what they did they MOVED US AGAIN!!! Apparently this was easier than just bringing us some pots and pans. Our newest room was much the same, 2 beds in a dingy room. Oh wait we did have a brand spanking new stainless steel microwave. It was so out of place with the rest of the kitchen we had to laugh. As an added bonus our newest room was on a floor with some super yappy dogs and lots of international guests cooking what smelled to be quite authentic food. Lesson learned do not stay in a pet friendly hotel that allows guests to cook their own food or you'll be listening to Rover all night and your clothes will smell like curry. On this floor we were also woken up in the middle of the night by a family who I suspect lived there having gym class at 3 am. Yes I did open my door to ask them to knock it off but I'm not quite certain they understood what I was saying.

I'm partial to cleanliness, you know it's supposedly next to Godliness or whatever, and I was disappointed to see the dust lines on the floor against the walls or food spilled on the way to and from the bfast room. Let's just say the brochure photographer should be paid handsomely for making this place look a million times better than it does in reality.

The continental breakfast was plentiful. It was a little carb heavy as most are ,so if you're on a gluten free diet you may want to bring your own food. Not terrible and my kids were happy with it. The lady that stocked the bfast and kept it neat was very nice. The other option is dining at the Lounge. If you saw the way the kitchen looked you'd think twice. We happen to stop and look on our way out to the pool one evening since you walk by on your way out. It was gross and there was a clear tub of uncooked chicken wings on the counter. Those same chicken wings were still sitting there on our way back from the pool. Can you say food poisoning??

On a more positive note the staff was pleasant and helpful. Of course we did tip the shuttle drivers whenever we used it which was often so they had reason to be so friendly. As I mentioned before Carmen was fantastic. She was always ready to help with directions or suggestions and always did it with a smile. The night staff on the other hand were less enthusiastic but I surmise they're just cranky because they're tired.

All in all if they cleaned the place up so that it didn't look like low income housing it would be a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank EMT210
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just checked out and was so happy that i had to write a review. We were looking for something to stop and sleep on our road trip to SC and we found this. Very cheap hotel, the staff was great. Check in was quick, i asked for a crib once we went up and it was brought to our room in less than 5 minutes. Clean hotel, big rooms we are 7 and everyone slept comfortably 2 queens and pull out queen, comfortable beds. Has kitchen, nice size with everything you need. Continental breakfast included that was good, free parking. Very happy with our stay considering it was last minute

• Stayed: August 2012
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to the staff. As you mentioned, the rates are very reasonable and the suites are very large. There are very few hotels in the DC area that accommodate families of 5 or more in the same suite/room. We even have suites that can accommodate up to 9 adults. For families with younger kids and teenagers, the piece of mind of having your entire family together is priceless.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see again if your travels bring our way again.

Mike Barber