“nice hotel, great amenities, friendly staff”

SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my children while site seeing. The room was spacious, very modern, great amenities, including a buffet breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to stay in while visiting washington DC

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
SHSAlexandriaSW, Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

This hotel is brand new, and the rooms are very well appointed. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially since the price is so affordable. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the Eisenhower metro station so getting into DC is not too much of a hassle.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Superzu

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor following your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites. We are delighted to read your review, also it gives us great pleasure to know that we could fulfill your vacation expectations.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I reserved a room at this hotel after a less than pleasant stay down the road at the Residence Inn at Carlyle with hopes that it wouldn't let me down. Let me tell you, from the moment I arrived until the moment I left, I felt totally welcomed at this property. The employees are great overall, all of the ones I encountered had a pleasant, upbeat personality, always smiling and friendly. Check in was a breeze and I was in my suite in well under 5 minutes.

Initially I thought the room had an odd layout, but the longer I was there, the more I actually ended up liking it. The only thing I would change about the room itself is I would add throw pillows to the L shaped couch. I just ended up using 2 from the bed, which isn't a big deal since it was only me staying and the bed had plenty to spare. The bathroom is European style for sure with the shower and large sink area with vanity in a seperate room from the toilet and a small sink to wash your hands in with no vanity. Some people may find this odd, but it honestly took me back to when I lived in Germany and it was a pleasant memory, so it triggered a smile. I was a bit disheartened to learn that the king suites do NOT have a bathtub at all, it is just a very large stand up shower. So if you intend on taking a bath, book the suite with two beds, I understand those inclue a bathtub.

I only ate the complimentary breakfast one morning, but it was the standard continental breakfast with the addition of scrambled eggs and turkey sausages. I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I prefer eating a real breakfast over a hotel one anyway, especially when traveling. I'm sure that any regular traveler that eats at the hotel will be able to find something they will enjoy eating as the spread isn't small and there are plenty of options.

The only reason I gave this property a 4 out of 5 and not a 5 out of 5 was one small thing that didn't bother me THAT much, but it did prevent me from sleeping in on the only day I had available to do so. I had the do not disturb hanger on my door handle and while nobody knocked or attempted to enter my room, starting at about 10am (maybe a little before) every few minutes I would hear the housekeeper going in and out of rooms without even attempting to not let the doors slam. This went on literally for hours, every few minutes I would hear a door slam from one end of the hall, to my room and then beyond. I do have to admit that I did not ask the housekeeper to please stop and I didn't let the front desk know as it really wasn't that big of a deal to me. However, it would have been nice to sleep in that day. I could see a day sleeper not being happy with this property in the least because of that.

All in all, I stayed here for three nights and it was a great stay. I would gladly stay at this property again and should the need ever arise to go back to the DC area, I'll be sure to check availability here.

Room Tip: No bathtubs in the king suits, so coose one with two beds if you prefer a bath over a shower.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank zuizide

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I have stayed at many Springhill Suites properties before but I fell in love with the decor of our room. It had a modern feel with dark wood and frosted glass as the partition between the bedroom and livingroom area. As stated in many of the other reviews, the bathroom is separated into two parts. There is a small sink with the toilet in one area and a standup shower with glass doors and a larger sink area with some counter space. I thought it was convenient for anyone who might like to use the bathroom without interrupting someone in the shower. I think it works more for a couple than a family with the room set up. The room was equipped with a flat screen tv, a refrigerator and a microwave with an area for storage. The living room had two tables that could double for "tv trays" if you wanted to sit and eat while watching tv. The beds were comfortable and slept well. The staff was pleasant and very helpful with directions to the property. The parking area is small and covered but additional parking is available in front of the hotel. The power stayed on all night and so did the cable service. There were a couple of flickers with the reception but it stayed on and I was able to keep up with the Hurricane. I would definitely stay again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: The hotel is located near the Hoffman movie theatre and not too far from the metro station (maybe no...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four nights because it was reasonably priced and received good reviews. It is located between a very active railroad line (passenger and freight), an interstate highway and some kind of marsh or swamp--good for bird watching. There is nothing within reasonable walking distance of the hotel. No restaurants, no shops, nothing. Many of the roads in the area are being reconsturcted (not the hotel's fault), so navigation is a bit of a problem. Rooms are stylish and modern but not particularly well thought out.

The rooms were either designed or constructed by someone with a strange sense of humor. Several of the light switches seem to serve no purpose at all. Others are connected upside down. To turn on the bathroom fan you must set the switch in the normally off position. The toilet is in a separate room. Both the bath and toilet rooms have sliding doors. If someone uses either during the night they will probably wake anyone else in the room. There is one 'hook' in the bathroom for towels or anything else one cares to hang up. That means used towels cannot be dried and reused the next day because there is no place to hang them.

The free internet service (wired and wifi) is a bit slow with weak connections. The three computers off the lobby are particularly slow.

Breakfast was a bit better than the average at this kind of hotel but the eggs were a bit rubbery and the 'turkey canadian bacon' is as much like Canadian bacon as turkey pastromi is like beef pastromi. Why bother?

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
SHSTechCenter, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Our spacious suites, offer 25% larger than traditional hotel rooms and offer a privacy wall to provide separation of the living and sleeping areas. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service which drops off of the metro station as well as local restaurants. Our complimentary continental breakfast includes the following: Three types of bagels, english muffins, four types of cereal, whole fruit, scrambled eggs, two types of muffins, breakfast protein, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, waffle makers, juice and coffee. Breakfast hours are M-F 6:30-9:00 and Sat – Sun 7:00-9:30. Our high speed internet has since been upgraded with additional bandwidth.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We chose this hotel because it was close enough to DC without staying in DC. The hotel is beautiful. I traveled with a family of 4 and the room was spacious enough for everyone. Be advised that the bathroom is broken up into 2 parts: sink and toilet in one room. Sink and shower in another and there are no locks on the doors. There was standard breakfast offered.
Only dislikes were the toilet ran for a really long time after use and it was really loud. It really wasn't a problem until the kids went in the middle of the night. Also the desk clerk was acting a little "extra" when I checked in but had a totally different attitude by the time I came back with my bags.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank AMDubII

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I read the reviews and I'm baffled that families are able to enjoy this property! We were driving from NC to PA and stopped here to avoid hitting the DC traffic. The property itself is new and clean and really have no complaints. The breakfast wasn't bad, your average free buffet hotel breakfast. The parking garage, while tight offered many spaces and I felt our belongings were pretty secure in the van over night.
The room, if this was for 1 person it would be perfect but 2 adults and 2 kids it just didn't work for us. First the layout was very European. The toilet was in a room separate from the shower. So it was a small WC with a toilet and small sink (no counter space), then was a decent sized walk in closet and then was the bathroom with the tub/sink/vanity. (so 3 separate spaces) The doors are sliding doors with no locks (which is fine but my 3 year old felt it was necessary to open and close whenever anyone was going to the bathroom. The bathroom with the shower/sink had a door that was opaque glass so when my mom got up at 3am to get something out of her bag the light lit up the entire room with the door closed. It just didn't work for us at all. No big deal, lesson learned!
The rooms were really clean. The staff was average, not over the top polite but not rude either. The pack and play was already set up in the room when we arrived (which in my book is HUGE!) and another was brought up real quick when asked. The walls are pretty thin and the rooms/doors are right next to each other. I travel with a white noise alarm clock so it wasn't a big deal but I could imagine light sleepers could have a problem.
Not a bad property, just not one for families. At least not this one!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
SHSTechCenter, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Our guestrooms are 25% larger than traditional hotel rooms and offer a privacy wall to provide separation of the living and sleeping areas. Our double queen suites have everything you need to work and play comfortably. We provide a large, spacious work desk connected to our complimentary high-speed Internet, a living area populated with comfortable seating, 37-inch flat-screen television, microwave, and a mini-refrigerator. Every room comes with comfortable pull out sleeper sofa as well.

View our hotel website click on Photo Gallery to view guestroom pictures.