“Good cupcakes, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occasionally Cake

Occasionally Cake
Ranked #19 of 26 Dessert in Alexandria
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“Good cupcakes, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

While visiting a friend in Alexandra, we stopped at Occasionally Cake to try some cupcakes. I ordered a Lemon cupcake and my friend ordered the Reeses cupcake. My cupcake was good, but the Reeses cupcake was way too sweet. My friend couldn't even eat half of it. It was a very cold day out so I was excited when I saw they had coffee too. Turns out they just brew a cup of coffee in their Keurig machine and then charge you $3 for it. Also, I realize that they majority of their business is in taking orders and making cakes. But if you're going to offer to sell single cupcakes, you should have a better place for customers to eat. They had a back room that had 3 tables with chairs - the kind that are usually on a patio; black iron. It was already cold in the building so obviously that made for a very uncomfortable experience with the iron. The next time I'm visiting, I'll try somewhere else.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank ktmk13

Racine
“Great Cupcake Themed Knick Knacks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My friend bought cake pops from this place and her family loved them! I loved the decor as my daughter love cupcake themes. It was cute and had a great variety of cupcakes and cupcake themes knick knacks you can buy!

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best cupcakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had one of the best cupcakes from this bakery. It was an almond cupcake with chocolate ganache and coconut cream icing. It was better than an actual almond joy! They had a big selection of cupcakes to pick from that were unique flavors. The other person with me bought the pomengrante cupcake with orange buttercream icing and said it was amazing.

• Visited October 2013
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Seriously...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited Occasionally Cakes this past weekend during a thunderstorm. There were four of us so we ordered 4 cupcakes to take back to our hotel. After paying for our cupcakes the employee handed me a cardboard box. I asked if we could have a plastic bag to put the box in and also explained that we had to walk a few blocks and wait outside for our hotel shuttle. The employee said since we only ordered 4 cupcakes we would have to pay an additional fee for a plastic bag. I have never been asked to pay for a bag before, and I consider that to be extremely poor customer service considering the fact that there was a torrential down pour, and our order had already been paid for.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Sandy M
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gluten Free (and regular) cupcake available”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This cupcakery is in the heart of old town Alexandria. My husband and I enjoyed their gluten free vanilla cupcakes. One of the better GF cupcakes out there. Our friend had one of their regular cupcakes and thoroughly enjoyed it. The icing is pretty sweet for me, but the cake was soft and fluffy (a rarity in the GF world).

The person at the counter assured us that they segregate their GF cakes from the glutinous ones. They also use separate utensils the whole way through. My husband had no issues!

I recommend stoop here and try them out for yourself.

• Visited April 2013