“hmm....uh-uh”

Sampan Cafe
Ranked #594 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I often ask myself why I go to these typical Americanized Chinese restaurants, tucked away in strip malls all over the country. Every once in a while I do run into one that has a different or fresh touch to them, but this appears another deja vu. Anywho, just here for a quick lunch and run. All the usual greasy and shinny dishes we all love to hate (msg-ed) Appeared as though there may have been more authentic dishes on the menu, but seemed overpriced. And those dim sun trays do not seem very sanitary to me. Place has kinda a shopworn look to it. Manager dude sat on bar chair looked half asleep and detached. Wait staff not too friendly. BTW hot tea lacked any flavor but told it was jasmine.(maybe overused tea leaves?) They must be doing something right however, they have been at this location for a long time.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Upon a recommendation from a friend, we stopped by there for lunch on a Sunday. Even though the place was half empty, we were seated in a back table close to the kitchen (1st red flag) and it took a while for the waitress to come over with the tea (2nd red flag). We sat there for 10-15 minutes while we saw other people get seated and served (3rd and final red flag). Finally we got up and started to walk out and the hostess stopped my friend as I was already at the door. My friend explained about the VERY POOR SERVICE, but at that point, I didn't care, was hungry and just wanted to go someplace and be treated like a customer. My friend felt so bad because she suggested the place, but it wasn't her fault. Will never go back.

1  Thank girlnomad
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were in to DC on vacation and were very hungry. It was 11pm and we called them up and ordered. They went the extra mile and delivered to our hotel door, even though it was past their time of delivery. Excellent food and very authentic.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Okay, there are a whole lot of dim sum places out there, and a lot of them are around the Arlington Blvd, Falls Church area. This one happens to be in Alexandria, and although it may not offer duck tongue, it does have duck feet and many other "usual" dim sum dishes. My friend and I kept ordering things as the cart would come by, and the waitress is pretty nice and the manager/owner, Tony is also nice and friendly.
To add to the fact that the food is darn good, it's inexpensive too. Imagine that!

1  Thank corkscrewd
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Although this place has all the typical "American Chinese" food (and it describes it as such right on their website) they also have a "specials" board in Chinese only...it's definitely worth it to ask what's there. Also, this is a place that is worth walking around and seeing what other patrons are ordering. Some days, I almost feel there must be a substitute chef as the dishes taste different. Lobster and whole fish are good here...the big tables often seat big groups of Chinese speaking customers ordering from the "set" menus...definitely worth asking your server what the dishes are. Dim sum on the weekends is OK, but nothing extraordinary.

1  Thank David W