“The staff made the difference”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Bellingham, WA
“The staff made the difference”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria motel for a week starting March 28, 2012 while on business in the area. The good experience we enjoyed at this property was made possible in large part because of the quality-conscious management team under Ms. Amanda Sellman, the General Manager. Wherever groups of humans gather, interests will conflict; Ms. Sellman's team worked hard keep everyone happy, as I shall explain.

The first two nights of our stay were less than ideal. My partner and I had been billeted on the floor with a group of 80 rowdy teenagers from South Carolina. Our pleas for peace and quiet to Phill, the Night Manager, promptly brought us a semblance of order from the din. Thanks, Phill.

Breakfasts those first two days were also challenging because the same large group of teenagers swarmed over the breakfast bar like malnourished locusts, leaving little behind. After the group had left for the day, the Holiday Inn Express breakfast bar staff, particularly Nancy, apologized to us for the missing skim milk, yoghurt, apple sauce, muffins, bananas, etc. that regularly populate Holiday Inn Express breakfast bars. For days after the hungry crowd had checked out, Nancy would thoughtfully bring bananas, cartons of skim milk, and other goodies over to our table at breakfast time to make amends.

We were in DC to attend a convention at a nearby convention center, which was located just far enough that one would only want to cover the distance on foot one time. Without access to a car, we inquired whether the motel's shuttle/van could take us to the convention center. Ms. Sellman generously agreed, and arranged for several rides in advance. For those days we needed a ride, Fred, the motel's shuttle driver, was on time and ready to take us to our destination. In conversations with him we learned a lot about what living is like in DC, and as a self-described history-geek, Fred pointed out DC's "must-see" attractions. Always glad to see us, he made us feel welcome.

One odd feature of our motel room we noticed was the lack of an openable window. By county edict, the windows in our room and all rooms were factory sealed, not just locked shut. (This is a "feature" of all larger motels in the Alexandria, VA area.) There was no source of non-mechanical fresh air in our room. We were assured that the room's Amana air conditioner/heater unit provided fresh air, however, we couldn't justify the uncertain promise of 'fresh' air with the blast and racket that emanated from the unit.

Our stay at the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria was enjoyable, thanks to Ms. Sellman's hardworking team. We look forward to revisiting her property again, and wholeheartedly recommend the motel.

Room Tip: South-facing rooms face a lovely green forest, away from the highway noise of the Richmond Highway/f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GordonMano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed April 10, 2012

To the Management:

I wanted to express my appreciation for the superior service I received during my stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel on Richmond Highway. In particular, Mr. Adolfo was very helpful and deserves a great deal of praise for his excellent customer service. Whether it was granting me small amenities for my room or just making sure everything was well during my stay, he carried his tasks in a very happy and professional manner. I will definetly be staying with you all again.

Pleasant Regards,
A returning costumer :)

Room Tip: Very convenient location.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Costumer1
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Excellent hotel choice for our visit to Washington. DC was only minutes away by car. The Hotel offered shuttle service to the metro which made for a great sightseeing day. The Hotel staff was very professional and helpful. The rooms were well cleaned and nice sized. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I did not get good sprint reception on the first floor. Definitely consider 2nd or higher.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 71virgo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This HI Express hotel was great. Good front desk service and nice, clean rooms. Breakfast was pretty well stocked, considering I was there during the busy spring break period. The free shuttle to the Huntington Metro stop was wonderful and so handy! Restaurants like TGI Fridays, Applebees, Famous Daves, Chili's, and even a Krispy Kreme shop is close by. Only downside was the hot tub (no pool here) was out of order while we were there. However, the front desk gave us access to the neighboring SpringHill Suites hotel pool which pleased my kids. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sexie-Veggie
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Hotel stay was awesome! Have two children ages 7 & 4. Was looking for an inexpensive location, with a shuttle to and from Metro stop, as well as a hotel offering a continental breakfast. This hotel offered them all. Staff was exceptionally helpful! Always able to offer advice re: Metro, Union station, local information. Hotel was VERY clean (as this is a farely new hotel), price point was great. Breakfast included sausage, eggs, pancakes, sausage gravy, biscuits, fruit...awesome selection. Hotel has a workout center and small spa/hot tub. "Sister" hotel, right next door, has a pool that guest may use. Good place for family or business purposes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Overall this is a very nice Holiday Inn Express (HIE). The suite is more of elongated studio with mini-fridge and microwave but the extra space is welcome by the business traveler; price was $50.00 below per diem. Standard HIE breakfast. Hotel shuttle will take you to the Huntington Metro Stop. I was going to the North side of Ft. Belvoir and was able to take two back streets for a stress free 15 minute commute during rush hour. The hotel is a bit away from things (sort of an island) but close at the same time. Old Town Alexandria is 10 minutes (not counting traffic); the George Washington Parkway is 5 minutes, the Capital Beltway is 3 minutes away but there aren't any activities right next door. One down point; my room came with an excellent clock radio/mp3 player but the time had not been adjusted for day light savings time and there was no way for the guest to change this without a screwdriver. I mentioned this to the front desk 3 times and it was never adjusted. This is minimal attention to detail the Staff should stay on top of. The room was kept very clean. In most hotels these days you see cards asking for help with the environment by reusing your towels. That is, a towel hung up will be reused; a towel on the floor will be replaced. I always hang the towel up; this is one of the only hotels that actually did not replace it so they get points for helping the Chesapeake Bay stay just a bit cleaner. When I go back to this area I will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Although road noise was not a problem, rooms on the east side are away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was more than pleased with the service and value. I came in as a last minute check in and was treated like a long time customer. Special care and attention were given to my situation.

• Stayed March 2012