My partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria motel for a week starting March 28, 2012 while on business in the area. The good experience we enjoyed at this property was made possible in large part because of the quality-conscious management team under Ms. Amanda Sellman, the General Manager. Wherever groups of humans gather, interests will conflict; Ms. Sellman's team worked hard keep everyone happy, as I shall explain.
The first two nights of our stay were less than ideal. My partner and I had been billeted on the floor with a group of 80 rowdy teenagers from South Carolina. Our pleas for peace and quiet to Phill, the Night Manager, promptly brought us a semblance of order from the din. Thanks, Phill.
Breakfasts those first two days were also challenging because the same large group of teenagers swarmed over the breakfast bar like malnourished locusts, leaving little behind. After the group had left for the day, the Holiday Inn Express breakfast bar staff, particularly Nancy, apologized to us for the missing skim milk, yoghurt, apple sauce, muffins, bananas, etc. that regularly populate Holiday Inn Express breakfast bars. For days after the hungry crowd had checked out, Nancy would thoughtfully bring bananas, cartons of skim milk, and other goodies over to our table at breakfast time to make amends.
We were in DC to attend a convention at a nearby convention center, which was located just far enough that one would only want to cover the distance on foot one time. Without access to a car, we inquired whether the motel's shuttle/van could take us to the convention center. Ms. Sellman generously agreed, and arranged for several rides in advance. For those days we needed a ride, Fred, the motel's shuttle driver, was on time and ready to take us to our destination. In conversations with him we learned a lot about what living is like in DC, and as a self-described history-geek, Fred pointed out DC's "must-see" attractions. Always glad to see us, he made us feel welcome.
One odd feature of our motel room we noticed was the lack of an openable window. By county edict, the windows in our room and all rooms were factory sealed, not just locked shut. (This is a "feature" of all larger motels in the Alexandria, VA area.) There was no source of non-mechanical fresh air in our room. We were assured that the room's Amana air conditioner/heater unit provided fresh air, however, we couldn't justify the uncertain promise of 'fresh' air with the blast and racket that emanated from the unit.
Our stay at the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria was enjoyable, thanks to Ms. Sellman's hardworking team. We look forward to revisiting her property again, and wholeheartedly recommend the motel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express® Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir is set just off historic Route-1/Richmond Highway near Old Town. Business and military travelers benefit from having the I-495 Capital Beltway and I-95 within two miles of the hotel's door. Alexandria, VA is just across the Potomac River from Washington, DC. While you're here, you can securely communicate with clients via the free high-speed, wired and wireless Internet access. The Business Center and meeting room make it easy to get work done so you can enjoy the area. We're just an eight-mile drive from Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA). The hotel's leisure guests love Alexandria, VA, as well. We're close to Historic Old Town Alexandria, George Washington's Mount Vernon, National Harbor, Tanger Outlets, Arlington National Cemetery and about eight miles from the attractions, museums and monuments of this nation's capital. You can go shopping in Old Town Alexandria, tour the artwork at the Athenaeum and then wrap up the day with dinner and a drink at Gadsby's Tavern. Our guests love the complimentary shuttle to the nearby Huntington Metro station. You'll be energized to see the sights thanks to the free Express Start Breakfast Bar. Enjoy the comforts of home, a 24-hour Fitness Center and more from our hotel's perfect location in Alexandria, VA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, IHG, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir Hotel Alexandria