Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed there for Saturday night and Sunday, first weekend of August 2012. After a two plus hour to the hotel, with a small child in the car, most people can check into the hotel no matter what the time it may be. Sure, hotels lock their door at night, but usually a quick ring of the doorbell or a phone call to the front desk would solve the problem. After standing outside of the hotel for over an hour at around 2 a.m. Saturday morning, some guests were coming out so I went in to get my family checked in the hotel. While standing outside, my husband and I rang the doorbell. Repeatedly. Then we started to call the front desk from our cell phone because we figured maybe the doorbell wasn't working. Wrong. We called the hotel front desk from our cell phone. Then after I was able to have a guest let me in ( I was in uniform) I picked up the courtesy phone that is right next to the front desk which rings directly to the front desk. Still no answer. After the long wait, over one hour, we are now at around 3 a.m. The front desk person comes downstairs in the elevator and I ask her is she the only one here. She stated that she was. Afert explaining to her that we have been waiting to check in for over an hour, she tells me that she had to do her wine and beer tally sales. Hey that's her job no problem, but isn't part of that job to check people in, A bit of an attitude because I had voiced my displeasure at waiting outside for that long. We checked into our room, room 337 if I remember correctly. A king size bed was booked for this excursion. As soon as you enter the room, the mini kitchen area was there. And it covered in ants. Big ants, small ants. You name hte ant size and they were there. All around the mini fridge, light switch, floor, counter and some had gotten in the fridge. Considering that we needed the fridge to put our baby's bottles in the fridge and we wanted to sleep in the room without being carried away by ants, this was not an option to stay in this room. Called the front desk to the let them know of the ants. At first, I got a nice greeting over the phone. But after I explained that I was calling from the room that just checked in, there was no longer a happy sounding voice over phone. I let her know that the front area of the room was covered in ants. She did come upstairs quite promptly and saw that I was not exaggerating. We were then switched to room 402. Time now after 4 a.m. Same king size type room. Room was cleaner, sans ant colony. Spouse had to be at an obligatory meeting by 7 a.m. Needless to say, no sleep was had. The hotel is near a military installation so for families heading to drill, the location is good. Safeway supermarket is also nearby. Fast food places are plentiful. We did call the coroporate office to complain about our stay. Due to the long wait outside at 2 a.m, the unpleasant check in, the non apologetic front staff person, the ant party of the room, will not be staying in. Again. Oh and also, there were some people running around in the hall, but we were too tired to call the front desk to complain. Bathrooms are small, no ventilation within the small place. So you can either use the bathroom with the door close and stay trapped with shower steam or the aroma of bodily functions. Or you can leave the door open and fog up the only mirrored area in the room. Bed was big but the attempt to wash out some of the old blood stains on the flat sheet didn't help matters at all. Poor customer service or her attitude and only having one staff person in the hotel. Not all travelers can get to their destination within the usual check in hours.

Room Tip: A/C is loud at times. King size rooms are a good size. Room did have a large, thin flat screen t.v...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ham50
Jeremy C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2016

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for reviewing the Hampton Inn and Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir. I’m sorry nobody has responded to your review until now. The new team in place takes great pride in providing great service.
If you are ever in Alexandria, VA. Please let me know. I would like to make your next visit outstanding. 703-619-7026.
Jeremy R. Conroy

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South

Reviewed August 14, 2012

When I booked this hotel I thought it was located closer to DC proper (there are two Hamptons on Rt 1 that come up in the Alexandria search). Due to a variety of odd circumstances I found myself trying to check in at 1:00 am. I had called to let them know I would be late arriving.
Toronda, the front desk person at this hotel, was MAGNIFICENT! She made sure I made it to the hotel I had actually booked and checked in with me both days of my stay to make sure I had everything I needed. She needs a raise, she embodies the spirit of customer service and really made the Hampton shine.

I was in a hearing impaired room on the fourth floor. It was heavenly! Lights on the doorbell, telephone, and the alarm clock worked just as expected. The shower and large bathroom were pristinely clean and double showerheads were an extra bonus! The Hampton beds were downy soft and yet supportive enough that my back did not complain even after spending a whole day taping and painting my friends' home.

The fridge was clean and cold, the microwave and iron worked perfectly. The AC pumped out frosty air without any weird smells you an sometimes get when you run it on high. The pool looked beautiful and clean, but limited access hours meant I could not use that amenity. Hampton: please Increase pool hours to include morning access. Parking was free and convenient. Free breakfast was also a nice perk.

The area is not a place I would walk around, but only because there is not much to see here. My friends were concerned about me being in this location as it is a more "ethnic" neighborhood. Frankly, everyone I met was kind and helpful and did not give me any flak for my WASPy whiteness. I felt completely safe and comfortable at all times.

HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone heading to the DC area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were on route to DC, and could not find a room in downtown for the Thursday night. Reserved a room with Hampton Inn - Alexandria South with Hotel.com. Found out that if you have CAA / AAA, the rate could be better if booking directly with the hotel. The front desk manager was very friendly and greeted every guest, even when they were returning to the hotel for the evening. She fixed our small issue with the room quickly by giving us another room (bigger in size). The bed was comfortable, and the breakfast was hot and they replenished even when close to 10am. The only complaint is the opening hours of the swimming pool on weekdays from 5pm to 9pm. We missed the pool, and actually booked this hotel because of the proximity to DC and the pool for the kids.

1  Thank love_to_travel1188

Reviewed July 27, 2012

The bed was great, good wifi, good bathroom. Everything was clean. The complimentary breakfast was good enough -- only apples for fresh fruit. So it's slightly above average, but there were truly no sweet surprises, which is would rate a 4. Parking was good too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank susaness

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The 1st night we stayed there on July 2 was excellent the room was great staff was nice breakfast next morning was great! Not really sure what the staffs problem was the 2nd night we stayed on July 7! When I called to tell the desk the bathroom door didn't shut I was told there was no other room of this type available and offered to have maintaince in the morning to fix well considering I was only there one night that was not helpful I had 2 teen girls and a preteen boy in the room needed a door that closed. Then said they could try to get someone back there that night but it was already almost 8pm after a long day of travel i didnt want someone working in the room until 10 or so I needed sleep, there was no blanket for on the pull out sofa and when i went to the desk they handed me one. Said they couldn't give me my money back cause I prepaid the room. I didnt want my money back just some satifaction next morning the breakfast was horrible not replenished including no water for tea. I finally followed up after not getting a call from the hotel after calling corporate on July 7. I am getting my money back but the staff that was on that night need to work on their people skills at breakfast I heard 2 other patrons complaining about the same staff.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is not the greatest area. It is close to Mount Vernon, but that's all I can say. The front desk people were not very attentive or friendly. The room was unattractive, the bed was uncomfortable, the carpet all the way down the hall was dirty, the lightbulbs didn't fit the lamps so they hung out from the bottom and greated a harsh, blinding light, cheap shampoo, cheap toilet paper. We booked this hotel for the shuttle service, but they didn't tell us it ended at 4:00pm. The shuttle driver, Dale, was the nicest guy ever! He was the bright spot of the whole stay. He was on call during his working hours of 8:00am until 4:00pm. He even gave us great directions when we drove our own car. Other than Dale, I have stayed in way better Hampton Inns.

1  Thank Ilovellamas

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very clean and close to Mount Vernon. The night staff was soso but overall nice place.

• Stayed: July 2012