“Atmosphere is Excellent; Brunch is Average”
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 763 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
VA
“Atmosphere is Excellent; Brunch is Average”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I really like the atmosphere of this restaurant. The high ceiling, which is actually an enormous skylight, almost makes you feel like you are eating outside. Our server was very patient, helpful, and friendly. I give him five stars! The soup of the day (squash) was DELICIOUS, and we had to order the onion rings-- sinful, but deliciously irresistible! The omelet I ordered did not look very appetizing, lacked filling, and tasted average. The country fried potatoes are just that- breaded and fried potatoes. After eating the onion rings, eating breaded and fried potatoes was just too much grease to take in. I wish this restaurant offfered healthier options to balance out the fried foods. The apple crisp dessert was average, and the fresh berries with ice-cream was wonderful.

Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Comfortable and Tasty”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I have gone to the Columbia Firehouse for lunch and dinner a number of times. Bar food appetizers are unique, breaded pork sliders , fried green tomato Blt, and small corndogs . Wait staff is helpful and friendly. Prices moderate for Old Towne Alexandria. My only negative is the place gets crowded and without reservations almost impossible to get in on the weekend.

Visited February 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Atmosphere and Great Food”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I love this restaurant and come every time I visit Alexandria on business. It's a great place to meet friends while in town and I always have good service. Also, I'm a foodie and love their eclectic menu. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
Gansevoort, New York
“Sunday Brunch Chicken and Waffles”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was a yankee in NOVA looking to try chicken and waffles for the first time. I saw some decent reviews for the Firehouse's chicken and waffles and thought I would give them a try for Sunday Brunch. Sat at the bar and received very prompt service. The bartender was courteous and nice, but a little aloof. The food arrived very quickly. I thought the waffles were good, but the chicken was very bland and boring. The chicken was fried boneless dark meat. The breading was crunchy, but had zero flavor. Even the chicken was boring and dry. I cannot speak to their other dishes, but I do not think I will be back.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Hold the Spice”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Restaurant Week & our first time. Service was outstanding. Ambiance was nice especially the decor. However this is a bar masquerading as a restaurant. Outstanding soup but so-so chopped salad due to bitter kale and too much dressing. The tile fish was OK and the filet fine except that the kale ( it was called greens on the menu) served with the filet was so highly spiced that it was inedible and was not eaten. Very large beer and wine list but as usual the choice of wine by the glass was quite limited. A chocolate dessert was good but an apple crisp contained so much ginger that it was difficult to eat and you could not taste the apples or much of anything else but the ginger. There are heavy hands in the kitchen. May not return.