“It was good...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 748 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
“It was good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Loved the feel of the place as soon as you walk in. It has a nice modern and cozy feel. Waitress told us it was a real Firehouse in the 1800's. They did a nice job decorating and renovating. We had great service and enjoyed the atmosphere. The menu does not have a large selection for lunch but I like that because you assume they do those items well. I saw the Monte Cristo on the next table and it looked great from afar...that's what I ordered. It was good. Very tasty and fresh. My sandwich ($12) came with fires and a small thing of sweet pickles. It was a generous portion of fries. I was feeling a bit sinful as I know this was a high calorie lunch. I don't want to do that often. My associate had the burger ($12) which also came w/fries. She loved it. Said it was cooked just right...and the onions and stuff all made it very tasty. It is a nice place to eat...not sure why I would not rush back but glad we picked it for this lunch.

• Visited December 2013

Omaha, Nebraska
“Outstanding steak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I just had the NY strip this evening with the bourbon bacon butter, it was one of the best steaks I've ever had. Paired with the mushrooms and shallots, combined with the decor and atmosphere, made for a wonderful experience. Thank you!

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“A venue with Outstanding Decor, the food, not so much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

If you look through the reviews, it's pretty unanimous that the place looks great. I completely agree. But the food reviews are inconsistent, and that's pretty much what we found. The food tended to be good, but not really above average. The fish was a bit overcooked, and the 10 ounce prime rib came out served warm,not hot. The prices were a bit higher than I think was warranted by the food. So all in all, worth a try, but try to match your expectations with the reality.

• Visited November 2013
South NJ
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The food was okay, but don't come hungry! Everything is a la carte. I ordered the sea bass. It only came with a handful of lima beans and corn, no starch. The steak my husband ordered came with nothing. Maybe if this meal cost $50 I wouldn't be so disappointed. But our dinners, salads and 4 drinks (2 ciders and 2 wine) = $125 before tip.
Nice atmosphere, but mediocre food.

Visited November 2013
New York
“Good points and bad points balance out the rating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Columbia Firehouse is a quirky funky restaurant with an interesting menu and a good vibe. Our server was really nice and funny, not the most efficient server but very friendly and quick to make up for any mistakes he made, so definitely likeable and forgiveable.

The food was, for the most part, good. Everyone who ordered the mussels raved about the bread and the broth that came with it, the chef's sausage selection was interesting but not terribly memorable, the frisee salad with pork belly was delicious and unique. Unfortunately, many of the items we wanted to order were unavailable - we came in at 8:30 on a Sunday night and they are supposed to be open til 1am, but they had an awful lot of unavailable menu items. It might have been helpful if the staff had informed us of the unavailable items BEFORE we sat and perused the menu and then ordered.

The one overriding aspect of our meal that downgraded this restaurant from 4 to 3 stars was the hamburgers - four of us ordered the Firehouse Burger, all four of us asked for it medium rare, and all four of us got in medium well to well. Because we were hungry and tired, we decided to just eat them, and they tasted pretty good, but would have been much better had they been cooked the way we asked for them.

Columbia Firehouse is not an accessible property. There are two small steps leading up to the dining area but no ramp. Restrooms are up half a flight of steps.

• Visited October 2013