“Great restuarant”
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 816 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We visited Columbia Firehouse before attending a show at the Little Theatre in Alexandria - a great combination. We really liked the appetizers - we enjoyed several, the corn pudding was especially great. Also, I love places that serve a beer sampler - I got to try three beers (and still stay awake for the show later on!). I would give this a 5 star - the only thing is that the menu is a bit limiting. But check the menu out on line and if you see dishes you would like - you will love Columbia Firehouse. Great service too!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

It was a beautiful day in July and we decided to have lunch while walking Old Town Alexandria. The outdoor patio was cool and shaded. The service was attentive and the menu is interesting.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I visit this restaurant frequently. The food is very good, the service is excellent but I must admit it is the building that keeps me coming back. The flooring, the light fixtures, the woodwork are all breathtaking. This truly is an old firehouse but the décor and atmosphere is late Victorian/Art Deco without being stuffy. They have many different styles of dining rooms. The atrium for brunch is a favorite although I recommend coming here for any meal. This place is run by the prestigious and innovative Neighborhood Restaurant Group. They pay great attention to creative food and fun cocktails. Go.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I chose the Columbia Firehouse for a special dinner to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, while spending Labor Day Weekend in Old Town. We had traveled to Old Town many times in the past, but had never been to this restaurant before. We were attracted to the stunning architecture and historic decor. We had such a memorable experience! We noted in our reservation that it was our Anniversary, which was smart. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, and seated at a great table towards the back of the dining room, which allowed for a beautiful view of the candlelit restaurant. While reviewing the menu, we were served two complimentary glasses of champagne, and congratulated on our anniversary, which was truly unexpected! We appreciated that the staff was enthusiastic about creating a special experience for our celebration. It was restaurant week 2013 while we were there, so we each had our choice of an appetizer, entree and dessert for only $35! An incredible value! My husband's appetizer was the Tuna Tartare, which was fresh & flavorful, and presented beautifully in little taco shells. My appetizer was the chicken fried oysters, which were large, tender, fried in a very yummy batter, and served with a unique spicy bbq-like sauce that was absolutely delicious. My husband's entree was the NY Strip Steak, which he ordered medium rare and the chef nailed it! Very good. My entree was the Braised Pork Shank served over creamy polenta, with extra jus in the bowl, and fresh gremolata. Honestly one of the most delicious meals I have ever had in my entire life. Really incredible! Could have licked the bowl if I weren't trying to look pretty and sophisticated. For dessert, my husband ordered the Summer Berry Sundae, which was SO GOOD, and topped with baby basil, an interesting but delightful twist. I ordered the Chocolate & Strawberry, which was also very good. Apparently it took a long time for our desserts to come out from the kitchen (we didn't notice because we were happily enjoying our full bellies and the glowing ambiance), so our waiter brought us another glass of complimentary champagne to pair with one dessert, and a complimentary glass of red wine to pair with the other. This was also very unexpected, but really thoughtful and made for the perfect ending to a perfect experience at Columbia Firehouse. Our waiter was very, very good at his job, provided us excellent service throughout the night, really made us feel taken care of. A+ experience!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just an average dinner restaurant but a tad expensive. There are many other better choices in Old Town Alexandria.