“A very nice dining experience.”
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Another great restaurant in Alexandria. The menu selections were diverse with old world (American) cheese, sausages, fish, steaks, and other meats. I was particularly tempted by the dry aged NY steak they offered however I chose the mussels along with the hangar steak. Neither disappointed.
The setting in one of the most historic towns in the US and ambience was cool. The bar and dining area has beautifully finished wood and is reminiscent of an old tavern or pub. The atrium area is well done also with very high windowed ceiling. Our waitress knew her menu as we drilled her with questions and she was very friendly. Ill be going back when I visit our capital next time. You cannot go wrong.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The manager was very accommodating to us on a busy night and we got a bar table very fast. They were out of the nightly rib special which was disappointing, but the local beer selection made up for that. Reasonably priced in a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I loved this building and it was affordable. The burger was..pretty good, for some reason I expected something really tasty because of the atmosphere). We also ordered Irish car bombs and it was only Guinness and Irish cream which was a little disappointing (usually has whiskey in it). but it was a good experience overall. Nice building.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a good Saturday dinner out with friends here. My wife had the fried oysters which were excellent but few (6) and smallish. I had the mussels with green curry sauce, large, spicy and a little undercooked (not fully open). Our friends shared a "raw bar--an assortment of oysters and a raw tuna salad they were happy with.
The wine list is fine and the beer list impressive in length and variety. I had a three-glass flight and liked it.
Dinner I was not as happy with. Overall, it's a good menu with a nice variety. My wife had the buffalo short-rib strogonoff with papperdelle pasta and loved it. The meat was tender and very tasty. Very good sauce, too. The other guy and I had the aged beef prime rib. Our waiter told us that it was cooked "blue-rare," then sliced, then poached in jus. The other guy and I ordered this in the 16 oz size. I was disappointed in the flavor. This type of roasting, I learned, does not fully develop the full flavor that the traditional roasting to medium-rare and rare shows. Essentially, the meat is steamed in a flavorful broth. It was the daily special that night. I would go back to the restaurant, but I wouldn't order the roast beef again.
The fourth person had the scallops and risotto, which she was happy with.
An interesting issue came up with the wine. My friend saw and recommended a New Zealand sauvignon blanc he had enjoyed the night before from a liquor store at $9 a bottle. The price here was $36. I spoke to the manager, who was passing by and told him that a 400%
mark-up was "criminal." He said "I'm sorry about that" and no more. But at the end of the dinner, after we had received our bill, the waiter told us that the chef was fixing us something special because the manager didn't want us to go away unhappy about the wine. We got a nice little assortment of dessert samples and thanked them for their kindness.
A good restaurant, nice atmosphere, but not the best in Old Town Alexandria.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We visited Columbia Firehouse on July 2, 2013 with a group of 5. I had shrimp for an appetizer and the bison stroganoff for my entrée. Both were outstanding as was our service. The Bison was around $22 and a couple in our group had the filet which was around $25. One of the best meals on our trip and will diffidently return in back in the DC area.