“Maybe not a lunch place?”
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King St.
Nashville, Tennessee
“Maybe not a lunch place?”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

A friend invited me to meet her here for lunch. First of all, whenever heading to Alexandria, parking is a consideration. We were supposed to meet at noon and if I had it to do over I would have arrived before 1145 to find a parking place. Having read the reviews on tripadvisor prior to going, I ordered the portobello mushroom sandwich....OK.....don't do that. Too much bread (3 slices) and the top slices were over toasted they therefore difficult to bite into. Neither one of us were blown away by our food choices. Our waiter was great! VERY attentive and very helpful regarding suggestions (which I should have listened to). The ambience was AMAZING!! I sat in the booth with my back to the room and when I got up, I wanted to take a moment to look at how beautiful it was. Wouldn't mind going back for dinner but the menu for lunch seemed very limited.

1 Thank DorothyatHeart

“The food here is absolutely fabulous”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had the reuben rolls to start and they were awesome!!! Then, for the main course I had bison stroganoff; WOW - it was the most unique stroganoff I ever ate.

While the food was top shelf - the service was very good and the atmosphere impeccable (it's an old firehouse from the 1800's.

I totally recommend this place ; )

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best value for quality, casual dining in Old Town”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I live here in Old Town, and if there is one restaurant I consider my "default" restaurant for family, friends, and even large groups, it is this one. When my grown children are in town, it is our favorite place for lunch. Just about everything on the menu is wonderful. If you are less adventurous, try the fried chicken, which is uniquely crisp, juicy and made ever-so-tasty on its bed of polenta. Or the beef stroganoff, which will make you close your eyes as you savor the golden flavor.

As the director of an organization that hosts groups from overseas a number of times each year, we bring them here for our regular farewell lunch. The upper level has a room perfectly suited for groups of up to 60, and the food is always served as fresh as if they were making it for a table of four.

Columbia Firehouse is also perfect for tourists with children who want quality dining rather than just fast food. And nothing on the menu would challenge a youngster's lack of adventure for food. While the tastes are superb, the appearance is not off putting to kids.

I consider a good stop for tourists who want to experience Old Town charm as well. It's in the heart of Old Town in a restored building, with the original firehouse just a few blocks away. When I host tourists who want the historical feel, my top choices are here, Gadsby's and Mt. Vernon. All have excellent American cuisine at reasonable prices.

For those who imbibe, don't miss out on the Virginia Ales. They are outstanding, rounding out a hearty lunch or dinner.

Beaufort, SC
“excellent food, well presented”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We almost walked out of the Firehouse as we weren't greeted immediately and at first service seemed reluctant. But we were very glad we stayed. The room was lovely, our waitress was outstanding and the food and presentation were excellent. Oysters, po boy, caesar salads were absolutely delicious and attractive on the plate.

We wish we'd had time to return during our brief visit to Old Town. It's definitely on the list for next time.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Good beer selection, and good food.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

And as the menu says, tap water is always free (good to know). They also have a fair selection of wines, but if you want just wine, you have better options nearby.

Visited August 2012