“Great atmosphere”
Review of Columbia Firehouse

Columbia Firehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Firehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 759 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cross street: King St.
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This restaurant has a really neat atmosphere and unique menu. We all had a difficult time deciding between scallops, prime rib, or salad; no one was disappointed. Great drink menu as well. The feel of the building really adds to the experience.

• Visited October 2011

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Kudos to the chef”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We had a lovely dinner last night and the menu was inspired. The succatash was unbelievably good and should not be missed. The prime rib was great, and the scallops were extraordinary. Service was excellent and the atmosphere was congenial.

• Visited September 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
“First Class Operation”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

It wasn't our first time at Columbia Firehouse, but my wife and I took her parents for brunch one Saturday when they were visiting from out of town. The service was fantastic and the food was equally amazing. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu, although I would highly recommend the surf & turf eggs benedict. We were running a bit behind and had made reservations for 3:00pm. Upon arrival we were informed by the hostess, rather abrasively, that the kitchen closes at 3:00pm. The reservations were through OpenTable, so I would recommend calling the restaurant directly if you plan to go. Columbia Firehouse will surpass every expectation.

• Visited September 2011
Tallahassee, FL
“Beautiful and Delicious”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have been here twice now and each time I am more impressed! The food and atmosphere are superb. Everyone I've been with has been just as pleased as I was and everyone left feeling like they should after a great meal... happy, full and satisfied. I will defiantly be returning again and again. On this visit, I had the prime rib... and man was it good. . My friend had the beef tenderloin. Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Not to mention the sides were absolutely scrumptious... thinking about it is making my mouth water.
On my first trip, My Dad and one of his colleagues were in town, So I brought them here... to start we shared a sampling of their sausages and cheeses which were very good (personal favorite was the chicken & piquillo sausage. Yum). For our meals, I had the short ribs(seemed to be the rave in the reviews I read before going, so I had to try them) and Everyone was right... great dish! My dad had the hanger steak and his colleague had the Scallops. For desert had the bread pudding and creme brulee.
Everything was fantastic! From what my friends and family and I have had at columbia firehouse it seems like everything they offer is delicious! I can't wait to go back and try something else!

• Visited May 2011
Alexandria, VA
“Usually pretty good--with the occasional 'off' night.”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We live around the corner from the Firehouse, and visit about once a month. (I always enjoy it--hubby is lukewarm.) Since it's a popular spot, with an active (and generally noisy) bar scene--even on weeknights--it can be difficult during prime time to just walk in without a reservation and be seated for dinner.

Past the bar, off in another area, though, the dining room is quiet, low-lit, uncrowded, and adorned with exposed-brick walls and faux stained glass. Service is generally efficient, but impersonal. And nearly everything I've ever ordered has tasted great--especially, imaginative salads.

But once in a while, I have to say, the Firehouse seems more lax on quality control (both the food, and the service): those salads have sometimes arrived warm and limp, served up on hot plates right out of the dishwasher. And if you dine late in the evening, you especially risk any fried foods--like string fries--appearing as soggy and limp. While prices on the (limited) menu are competitive for the area, the portions are' probably smaller than usual.

Nevertheless, I think the Firehouse does a great job, most of the time. (And I could confidently rate it higher, if it weren't for that "most of the time" part.) It's not a place to drive out of your way for; but if you're already walking up and down the main street (King St.) looking for dinner, I recommend it (located a half-block south, on St. Asaph St.).

• Visited July 2011