“Mount Vernon Trail and Monuments by Bike”

Bike and Roll Alexandria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: From our Alexandria location, we offer two amazing full day adventures to George Washington's Mount Vernon. "Mount Vernon by Bike and Boat" includes: bike rental, helmet, lock, Mount Vernon admission, bike pick-up from Mount Vernon, and Potomac Riverboat Co. ticket back to Old Town Alexandria. "Mount Vernon by Bike" includes full day bike rental, helmet, lock and Mount Vernon admission; bike both ways. 24 hour advance reservation required.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Mount Vernon Trail and Monuments by Bike”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a Groupon for 2 all-day comfort hybrid rentals. The bicycles perform well on the Mount Vernon Trail, where the occasional crack and wooden bridge can make for a bumpy ride. They provide you with helmets (highly recommended) and U-locks (great if you want to stop by the monuments and walk around). Picking up and dropping the bicycles off was a breeze. Will definitely rent bicycles from them in the future.

Visited September 2012

Miami Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mount Vernon bike and boat experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have used bike and roll in other cities and have never been disapointed. This location has a self guided tour that takes you along a paved trail to Mt. Vernon. Tickets to Mt. Vernon are included then you leave your bikes there and take a boat back to Alexandria. This tour was delightful. The bikes are well maintained and have comfortable seats. The bike ride part was long enough to get good exercise and we could go at our own pace. The scenery was beautiful. The tickets to the boat ride and to Mt. Vernon were ready when we arrived and the staff was friendly.

A couple of suggestions if you take this tour:
1. Take a bottle of water! There is no place to purchase water along the way since this is a bike ride along the river and through woods.
2. Use a helmet! For some reason, the staff didn't offer us helmets, but they were available when we asked for them. There are parts of the trail that are rather steep declines and you can get to pretty high speeds.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank lbroache
Pensacola, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Mt Vernon bike & boat tour”
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Fun, exercise and great views...Our family of 4 (including a 9 & 11yr old) of inexperienced bike riders greatly enjoyed the 9 mile ride from Alexandria to Mt. Vernon on the paved bike trail along the Potomac river. Getting out of the city to the bike trail was the toughest challenge for us. There were also some moderate climbs where we had to get off the bike and walk. Would definitely do it again.

Recommendations: the workers could provide a bit more education on using the different gears for inexperienced riders, there is some public parking ($) available within a couple of blocks of the bike shop or you can take the metro to the King Street station but the free trolley does not begin running till 11:30 and you really need to leave by 11:00 to have enough time to see a lot at Mt Vernon, and pack lunch to eat along the way or at Mt Vernon to enjoy the beautiful VA outdoors.

1 Thank GulfCoastFamily
Williamsburg, Iowa, United States
“Wonderful, helpful staff and BIG fun!”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

The staff was so helpful with our last minute reservation and got us going in a short time. The ride was great and the route was scenic and fun. My teens loved it! We spent the afternoon at Mt Vernon and then took the boat back. I highly recommend this fun family day!

Visited June 2012
Pittsburgh
“They don't give receipts for credit card purchases.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

They don't give receipts for credit card purchases. When they ask you upon return if you want payment on the card you used for the deposit, after charging the card they tell you will receive your receipt via email. Unfortunatley they don't actually do that. I was informed by an employee that their software doesn't allow for this. Then why say so?? I have never been anywhere that takes a credit card payment without issuing a receipt at the time of purchase. I'm not trying to imply there is any under-handedness, only that it seems to be a questionable business practice. To then lie and say you will receive your receipt when they know you won't only makes it worse.
How would you go about disputing charges without getting a signed receipt?

Visited March 2012
bikecat, Market at Bike and Roll Alexandria, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Hi Richard -

I am sorry that you did not receive your receipt and that received conflicting information. We absolutely do email receipts and our software is capable of doing so, but we've had a glitch in the system recently so we have had to email receipts manually.

There could have been a couple reasons why you didn't receive your receipt and unfortunately, one is that it may simply nor have been sent. I assure you if that was the case, it was a mistake and not malicious. The email could have also been recognized as spam and filtered out by your mail server. We could have had a typo in the address.

The fact remains that you absolutely should have received a receipt and for that I apologize. I do hope you understand that this was not an act of malice on the part of my staff.

My email is cat@bikethesites.com. Please send me the name under which the reservation was made and I will email you your receipt.

Again, I am sorry for your frustration and I hope to hear from you.

Catharine Pear