“Very good! Very expensive!”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Reviewed November 26, 2009

I have eated at both the Tasting Room and Brabo main dining room, so this review is for both.

Tasting Room: Amazing! I had a simple roast beef sandwich but it tasted anything but simple. I washed it down with a nice Belgian beer and had an amazing bread pudding for dessert with french press coffee. What an amazing place for lunch!

Main Dining Room: I went here for Thanksgiving dinner.. I was skeptical that something as simple as turkey and stuffing could really be made amazing by a good chef..but wow! It was so amazingly good. The cranberry sauce was out of this world, the stuffig was so flavorful and delicious.

The butternut squash soup with duck ravioli was a very very tasty appetizer. The desert was also so good. The main room has a very beautiful interior with nice white tablecloths and such comfortable chairs. The service is very good as well. Overall I'd say both places are absolute winners. The only negative I would give is both are pretty pricy, so if you can afford to eat here everyday I envy you.

Reviewed November 7, 2009

Back when I had an expense account this would have been great. Today I could eat my per diem in one meal here. A great meal in a lovely atmosphere, but my only meal. I had drinks here quite a bit and a few appetizers. However, for dinner I had to go elsewhere to save a bit of money. If I were entertaining clients or having a special meal I would choose this place in a heartbeat. However, for just getting diner while at a conference, I was unable to do so.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We decided to try the Brabo Tasting Room on the spur of the moment. My husband and I had tried to meet and kept missing each other. I was told it would be a 1/2 before we could get a table. As we were walking by, one of the staff came out and got us from the street to tell us a table had opened up. My husband ordered a beer as recommended and ended up having a second. He enjoyed that with the prosciuttio sandwich. I enjoyed the recommended wine with the delicious mussels and bread. Our daughters had the prosciuttio, mozarella and basil "tart". We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was fantastic. Glasses were always filled and dishes were cleared before you could blink. The staff was top notch. After eating at Jackson 20 ( burgers for the same price) and a few other places in Alexandria this is our favorite so far.

Reviewed August 19, 2009

With everyone raving about this place, we decided to go with some friends. The atmosphere is simple and beautiful, it's an easy walk from the metro, and the service and wine/beer list are great. We enjoy trying wonderful new restaurants and had heard very good things about this place. Overall, we did find the menu ideas and execution of them to be good, quite good in fact, but not spectacular and not considering the price tag. My husband and I spent about $175 and admitted to each other after parting from our friends that we'd enjoyed it less than any other comparably-priced meal we'd had and that we'd enjoyed it about as much as many other much more modestly priced restaurants that we frequent. Obviously enjoyment of food is not determined by a price tag, but we thought that our comparisons of Brabo with other places we've dined were an interesting insight about the overall (inflated, in our opinion) caliber of the place. We're both gourmets who have enjoyed interesting and wonderful food both locally and around the world... but found the coffee and dessert to be the most exceptional part of our Brabo dining experience. We wouldn't warn others away from this place or anything like that - but if your dining budget is not infinite you may want to prioritize accordingly.

3  Thank serarosedc
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I am so excited to have a wonderful restaurant in Old Town that I can be proud of. Food, service and decor was wonderful. It is an expensive restaurant, but you get what you pay for. The pork shank melted in your mouth and the rockfish was perfectly prepared. So much flavor. Our server doted on us without hovering. The cocktails were superb. I plan to return often.