“Nice place, good service, great chef's tasting menu!”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I were staying at the Hilton just down the street from this restaurant for a work conference. We selected this restaurant from a number of places the conference organizers had reserved for the attendees for the evening, and boy am I glad we did! The service was knowledgeable and friendly, and the sommelier on staff recommended an excellent bottle of Pinot Noir out of the four choices we presented him with.I will say that I think they over-price the wine (we ordered a bottle of wine that would typically be $ 60 for $129). Can we say price gouging? Other than the price of the wine, I thought everything from the food, presentation and service was excellent. My husband and I selected the chef's tasting menu for the evening ($65 for 6 courses- reasonably priced in my opinion). Each course was identified as it was presented and I must say we fully enjoyed them! I would go back if we were to do business there again. Otherwise, we will probably try another TA recommended restaurant in the area.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Let me start by saying, I have never written as poor a review as this one but when a restaurant touts itself as being one of the best in a city, then I think it has a standard to live up to. My husband and I walked in at 5:30 to see if there was any table available. The hostess was quite snooty and said no, so we happily found two seats at the bar for dinner. I will add that the entire time (3 hours) we were at the bar, there was a two-top table that sat empty. We decided to split an order of frites which arrived fairly quickly but luke warm at best-really, Belgian frites luke warm? We then sat for 45 minutes with no food. I had to finally ask the bartender if something had happened to it. She assured me she had noticed it was taking a long time and she had just checked on it and it was going to be right out. 15 minutes later still no food. She now admitted that the ticket had been lost and they were going to have to start our entrees then and it would be another 15 minutes or so for our meals-clearly she was not honest with us in the beginning because if she had checked like she said, they would have caught the missing ticket then. When the food finally came, it too was luke warm, the pea sauce had obviously been sitting because it had developed a thin crust on top of it. By this time we were starved and half smashed (there was nothing to do but drink as we wiled away the time waiting to be fed) so we ate it. I will say, the manager did come over and said he would comp our entrees, a nice if not meager gesture. I would think maybe he could have covered a few glasses of wine, as well as remove the fries that I did mention to him were just as disappointing as the entrees. Believe it or not, I was still foolish enough to try dessert, which alas was also a disappointment. The grapefruit was so overwhelming bitter (like bitter from pith, not juice) that I really could not eat it. Apparently the restaurant was catering a large party at the hotel at the same time which might have led to our incredibly disappointing experience but I do not think that is acceptable. Our bill, even with the entrees removed was $160 before tip. The whole experience was a total disappointment.

2  Thank odie1
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The atmosphere in Brabo is fantastic, reminds me of a classic steak house with a bit more local flavor, but honestly, the food is ok and not worth the price. If it were not a business meal, I would only have a drink and possibly an appetizer. Simply nothing special. The service was ok at best, I did need to ask for water sevral times, no big deal, but for what the food cost, they should have been more on top of it.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We arrived right at 10:30 AM which was closing time for breakfast. Even so they were very welcoming. Delicious breakfast. I had a light meal of greek yogurt and fruit. SO had the eggs and corned beef hash which was also delicious. Best hash I've ever had.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's hard to believe that this restaurant receives such high ratings. The food is good, but not great, and it's very expensive. Not sure what the fuss is about. I'd recommend their other place "Brabo Tasting Room" which is right next door instead.