“Bravo Brabo!”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I were staying in Old Towne and Brabo was in walking distance. We had a wonderful meal. My wife had a filet that was one of the specials. It was done perfect. Her soup, butternut squash with cream was the best she had ever had. I had the tasting menu with wine pairing, interesting and delicious courses with excellent wines accompanying each. The atmosphere was pleasant and the service good.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

In an attempt to keep myself honest and rate apples to apples, this was only average for the prices and reputation. Perhaps it should be 2.5 stars for DC wih would be poor/aveage.

We had a nice table for 5 and we had told them in advance it was a birthday dinner for 3 of the 5 people at the table.

The wait staff was rushed at best even though the tables weren't filled when we were seated. The rushed service was a theme for the entire evening. Getting anyone's attention was a challenge.

So to start, the bread was wondeful. Warm, toothsome and freshly baked. Now the let downs.

I ordered the ceasers salad and fliet. The others ordered the sword fish, pasta, etc.

The salads, including the herloom tomato salad (special) and the beet salad (special) were hits. Not so with mine.

Had my grandmother not been paying, I would have sent the ceasars back. It was not even close. The salad greens weren't romaine and it was completely undressed with the exception of a clump of oily cheese (asagio) mixed with some vinager at the very bottom. One of the birthday people looked at me (I was one of the the three birthday people) and at my salad and asked why I ate it....raw lettce with 2 half quail eggs and a couple of sardine parts for garnish and a ball of oily cheese.

My filet was okay, but the salad on the plate (water cress?) was over salted as were the fries.

Luckily my grandmother's ravioli pasta and the risoto (apps part of the menu) were outstanding (she was paying, but not one of the three birthday people). The table tried them and agreed.

My mother's sword fish was only okay and her husband's pomador fish (a special that night) was passible.....he finished half of it. No one asked why he finished half of it.

We had a couple of shared desserts.

Here's the thing, my 87 year old grandmother paid for a meal well in excess of $600 and we weren't thrilled. I wouldn't even recommend this restaurant.

Given that she loved her appetizers, she wants to go back.

That's going to be a difficult conversation.

1  Thank bumper1965
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Dinner last night at Brabo was a real treat. The Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairings was creative and delicious. The last wine (Gutierrez Colosia) was SO delicious we had a second glass. Our server Devon was delightful and he service was prompt, friendly and informative. Overall - a GREAT experience. Would go back in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Patay1
Reviewed October 4, 2012

No need to hit the sidewalk in search of a place when you don't have time -- this place offers great ambiance, a variety of wines and solid food. Enjoy!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Dinner was delicious! Breakfast was superb. Make sure you try the potato cakes and corned beef hash - divine!