“Good food; but noisy bar.”
Review of The Light Horse

The Light Horse
Ranked #211 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Washington Street
Transit: King Street Metro/Alexandria Dash Bus stops directly in front of Restaurant!
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the food-- good value for the money. Also good selection of craft beers. The dining room seemed lonely so headed upstairs to bar that is adjacent to shuffleboard and pool table.Very loud. But hey, its a bar. Menu includes inventive takes on "comfort" food and pub grub. Attentive bar service. Families would of course eat downstairs.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I call this a Two-In-One restaurant because downstairs it is a nice, comfortable, beautiful dining space serving nice, comfort food. It offers an easy place to have a conversation or business meeting. Upstairs, it is a sports bar. But not your typical Bud bar. More upscale. It has excellent sandwiches and fires and many craft beers. It has table top shuffle ball and skee ball tables set up in separate rooms. The staff is friendly and professional. It is a very comfortable place to see an afternoon game. Good for groups.

1  Thank NadineTheQueen
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've been to Light Horse a couple of times now. The food is delicious, with great food combinations you don't find very many places. It is a favorite for my wife and me in Old Town Alexandria, great for a meal for two or to entertain out of town visitors. They have a pretty good drink menu as well.

1  Thank rbridges416
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice atmosphere and great location! The food was great!! Delicious grilled cheese panini & savory tomato soup! Try the "heart attack" if you dare it's amazing, but enough to share. Would definitely go back!

1  Thank Steve N
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were walking around the "touristy" park of Old Town, and began looking for a place to eat lunch. All the restaurants recommended on Trip Advisor were either too expensive or too crowded, so we decided to take a chance on this place. It was a great decision! We went on Saturday at about noon time and upon entering were concerned that no one else was in the place. Uh oh, is the food that bad? Despite this trepidation, we decided to stay and were so glad that we did. (it turns out that there is a bar upstairs, so there were people eating up there, and at least 3 more tables filled up while we were seated). We were seated in a very comfortable booth, and our waitress was friendly and attentive. I just wanted water, and because I was thirsty, asked if she could just bring a pitcher to the table, which did promptly did. Since we were "starving", we ordered the cheese and chorizo dip, and the hush puppies for apps. The hush puppies were very good and served with honey butter. The cheese dip was incredible though! If you go, you MUST order this. The chips/flatbread are fresh made, light and airy, and the cheese dip tasted awesome! I could not stop eating it, even though I knew I still had my entree coming! For our main meal, my husband ordered a bacon burger and I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. My husband said his burger was very good, and the fries tasted freshly cut and cooked. My sandwich was very good and cheesy;at this point I was happily on "cheese overload"! ;) Be warned that it is made in a panini maker; I prefer my grilled cheese bread "softer" from a grill top. I also ordered a salad instead of the fries, and the house dressing was delicious. We had leftover hush puppies, but since we were headed to the ballpark via the metro, we didn't want to carry a big box - our server put in a small, sturdy box for us, and we happily ate them later at the game - to the envy of the people sitting next to us! The apps totaled $13, the burger was $13, and my sandwich was $8. I would definitely go back to this place again!