“Good Food, Work on Atmosphere Some”
Review of The Light Horse

The Light Horse
Ranked #183 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Washington Street
Transit: King Street Metro/Alexandria Dash Bus stops directly in front of Restaurant!
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good Food, Work on Atmosphere Some”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had dinner here during Alexandria Restaurant Week in Jan 2013. The fixed price ($35) for three courses actually added up to more than the three courses my husband chose (you ordered off the menu and steak had a $5 up charge) and I saved about $3 (less than 10% savings) so sort of neutral on that whole deal. Our food was excellend. My beet salad was very tasty and nicely presented; seared scallops entree was good--scallops nicely seared but the beet puree and parsnip puree accompanying them was like a base of baby food under the scallops. My husband's steak and roasted brussel sprouts were very good. Our daughter ordered off the pub menu and enjoyed a tasty burger and fries so that's a nice option at Light Horse if you have picky kids. We had dessert -- nothing memorable but was fine. Creme brulee was served in a soup cup -- sort of weird because the rest of the food presentation was lovely. Service was somewhat slow to arrive a few times (it was a snowy night so perhaps the staff was lean that night) but our server was very friendly and apologized when she forgot one item so it was very forgivable. Much better than servers who act as if an error was someone else's fault. Rather boring atmosphere in the dining room--and our half booth was uncomfortable because the booth seat was very high for the hieght of the table, leaving no leg room. I'd give them one more try--lots of activity above in the upstairs bar so w plan to try happy hour for a light meal some time.

• Visited January 2013

Dupont, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Skimping on Portion Sizes for Restaurant Week”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Went to the Light Horse based on the Restaurant Week menu. It wasn't a fixed menu with limited choices - you could order any appetizer, any entree, and any dessert for $35. That made me want to try this place. The greeting and ambiance was warm on a winter's evening, so I thought we were off to a great start. But, when the orders came out, there was a noticeable difference in portion sizes. Me and one of my companions ordered the same scallop dish. His three scallops could beat my three scallops in weight. Was it because I'm the more petite of the two of us? Then the dessert came out, and his three scoops of ice cream were hearty while my creme brulee was very shallow in its dish. Portion size discrepancies aside, the food was yummy (can't argue about that). I just wish there was more to taste and enjoy. I might venture back to try the non-restaurant week meal based on the quality of the food, the nice service, and welcoming ambiance.

• Visited January 2013
Ithaca, New York
“Nice restaurant in Old Town”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had dinner hear on New Year's Eve 2012. We mostly ended up here because they had available reservations and decent reviews. They had food to satisfy both the meat-eaters and vegetarians of the group. The prices were a bit expensive in my opinion, but the quality of the food was very good. I had the crabcakes which were delicious- big chunks of crab in the cakes, the cakes themselves were huge, and they were well-seasoned. My husband had the mushroom pasta which was pretty heavy with the creamy sauce, but quite tasty. There's a pretty good beer and wine selection as well.

• Visited December 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
“Casual fun bar upstairs”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We made our way to the Light Horse for a drink before dinner, the restaurant was quite full, but the bar upstairs was fun and had lots of open space, they have games and televisions for entertainment. It was not was I was expecting but was warm and inviting.

Visited December 2012
Swampscott
“You won't miss Sunday's game”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Light Horse is the best place around to catch a game. They are a sports pub with an Irish flare. The service is friendly and they will treat you like family. Really, like the family you love and if you want the family you have to serve. If you are in town and do not want to miss the game, pick your TV.

Visited October 2012