“Lovely hotel in every way” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
United States
“Lovely hotel in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I am not sure the reasons for the recent negative reviews and I am sceptical about their perception on this hotel. We are used to 4 or 5 star hotels and came to DC fo a family vacation with our 11 yr old twins. Due to the Rally to Restore Sanity, hotels were pretty booked in DC, so we chose to stay in Alexandria. We were very happy in every way with the Hilton Alexandira Mark Center. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They gave us a room on the 32nd floor with a gorgreous view of the DC skyline. Then when I kept feeling dizzy for some reason that high up (no idea why!), we asked to be moved to a lower floor and the staff not only moved us lower but searched for a room with a balcony in case I needed some fresh air to stay feeling well. What a nice gesture, and their idea completely (I had not requested it.) We loved having the balcony and our room was spacious and pretty. I am the type who checks for bedbugs, and there were absolutely NO bedbugs anywhere. So, I don't know about the reviews that claim there were.

We chose this hotel due to the reviews regarding the shuttle to the Metro and the ease with getting to the DC. that is completely true. The shuttle was constantly there whenever we needed it, since it comes every 30 minutes. In times of great use (such as all the people going to the Rally), the hotel stepped up and sent shuttles more frequently (or maybe they found a 3rd shuttle) because there was never a wait more than 10 minutes. Having never been to DC before, I wasn't sure if the shuttle system would work well or not, but the combination of the shuttle and Metro was fabulous and we were to our destinations very quickly over the 5 days that we stayed at this hotel.

For those needing to stay out of DC, this is the perfect hotel and we would stay here again. I also want to note that while the staff was wonderful, the manager was amazing. He seems to work around the clock, because he is always there, is constantly walking around the lobby to make sure that all guests are happy, and simply makes staying at that hotel a lovely experience. Thank you to him and his hard working staff!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lilyian
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We hope you enjoyed the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear!

Thank you for the kind words about our service team - I have shared your comments so that they know what a positive impact they had on your stay.

We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

The rooms in this hotel are some of the most tired and worn down rooms I have ever seen at a major chain, and can only be described as substandard. Don't be fooled by the remodeled lobby and restaurant. The strategy here is clearly to milk to property for as much profit as possible by minimize spending on maintenance and remodeling.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was very sorry to hear that your stay was not a more pleasant one. Please accept my apologies for the areas in which we dissappointed you.

I am happy to report that we are in the final design stages for a complete guest room renovation, which will commence in February and be complete by the summer of 2011.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Spingfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I would have to say that with all my travels, and my preference to Hilton brand hotels, the main Hilton brand hotels are generally hit and miss when it comes to quality. It is odd that other Hilton brands like Doubletree, Garden Inn, and even Hampton Inns generally outrank in comfort, amenities, and overall style than many of the dreary Hilton brand hotels I have stayed in. The Hilton Alexandria Mark Center pretty much ranks as 'average' in my book. Everything costs extra here: the water, the restaurant, and even the business center charges for meager black and white printing. This is to be expected I suppose with Hilton brand hotels I guess, but it makes me wish I could at least be in a better location here in DC. There is NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING within walking distance from this place which appears to be smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood. This means you are pretty much stuck here to eat and drink terrible hotel coffee for the length of your stay (as well as stuck to pay the high prices for food and drink). The rooms are in need of a remodel and the hallway carpets are dirty and stained. My bed was comfortable, but I had to request a new office chair since the one I have was broken. The management replaced it without a fuss. Staff is nice, but stays pretty distant. The restaurant is 'okay'. I got something that resembled gnocchi, but it was oddly crunchy (don't think it should be crunchy, right?). I took a cab to and from the airport since I prefer not to be at the whim of the shuttle service which they do say they have, but I didn't try it. I saw a report of bedbugs, but there was none that I noticed in my room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was sorry to hear that your stay was not a more pleasant one. Please accept my apologies for the areas in which we dissappointed you.

Thank you for the kind words about our staff, and for the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Camarillo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Stayed 3 nights. In the room there were stains on the carpet, the smoke alarm was hanging by one screw, there was black gunk on the air vent, and a lot of lint and dirt in the closet door tracks. After contacting the front desk they only managed to fix the smoke alarm. The common areas at the lobby level were dirty. The buffet breakfast was substandard and the service spotty.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was sorry to hear that your stay was not a more pleasant one. Please accept my apologies for the service and cleanliness issues that you encountered. I have shared your comments with our leadership team, so that improvements may be made in these areas.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife and I (and our two dogs) have a new favorite hotel to stay in in the D.C. area! Our weekend visit to the Hilton Alex. Mark Center for the amazing Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear exceeded our expectations. From the very first person we encountered, who accommodated our early check-in, to the front desk person at check-out, everyone on staff was incredibly welcoming, ready-to-please and friendly. Our room in the "retreat" conference center (older low rise next door to newer main tower) was spacious and clean. Hilton beds are tops. We enjoyed the view of the pond and soothing fountain sounds from our private balcony. I was amazed at how quiet the room was even though the hotel was full of rally goers. Access from the retreat was very easy to the main tower, to letting the dogs outside, and to separate retreat vehicle parking.

Our dinner at Finn & Porter’s was delicious and reasonably priced. The waitress and chef allowed us to order one of our personal favorites—onion straws—as an appetizer even though it was after happy hour and not on the restaurant menu. The pasta dishes we had were great! The lobby bar is a nice, comfortable place to relax and play and prices for food & drinks aren't bad for a major city hotel. Never got a chance to try the pool & fitness center, but they are nice to have.

I must say that I was most impressed with the front desk, bell, concierge and shuttle staff. The hotel went above and beyond its already wonderful free Metro shuttle service to bring extra staff and shuttles online to handle the crush of the many rally goers staying at the hotel who needed to get to and from the event. And I can’t stress enough how important it is for Hilton properties to remain pet friendly. Even those hotels that claim to welcome pets often have outrageous fees and policies upon check-in that make you feel anything but welcome. Doting pet owners who insist on traveling with their furry friends have a lot of $$ to spend on those properties that truly are pet friendly.

Overall, this hotel gets four stars due to a couple minor issues: The room was clean, but the retreat halls were not vacuumed and shampooed regularly. The same pieces of debris that were in the halls upon arrival on Thursday were still there when we left Sunday. The other complaint would be with the heating/cooling system in retreat rooms: It was erratic at best, that is, when it was working at all. Oh, and we got charged for the weekend rate “free” parking on the final bill slipped under our door, which kept us from “express checkout,” but the front desk person quickly corrected the charge with a smile so it was no big deal at all.

Travel Tips:
>Weekend deals at this hotel abound, including the package we got from the Hilton website...three nights for the price of two and free parking. The property is very easy to get to by car.
>Since hotel shuttle service to the Pentagon City Metro runs frequently from early to late, it's a better option for getting to King St/Old Town than using the King shuttle. Both DC and King are only a couple stops away from PC via the Yellow line. Blue works too, but is a longer ride to DC. Save time and trouble and pick up a daily pass for your riding needs from the station vending machines, that is, IF you can find one that's not broken! I've always been impressed with DC Metro until the whole system fell apart the rally weekend, and I've used it during July 4th festivities so I have a big event to compare it to.
>Don't miss King St and Old Town Alexandria for a day of fun shopping, dining, bar hopping and a must-see visit to the Torpedo Factory Art Center along the riverfront. The free trolley makes frequent runs and stops along King from the Metro to harbor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

We booked this hotel to stay in during the Rally to Restore Sanity, when we arrived the hotel was definitely sold out and so we got placed in the annex/conference center. The website had said that the rooms were recently renovated, but they obviously only meant the tower as our room could have used some.

Aside from the view of the parking lot and long distance walk to get there, the room was tired, bathtub clogged up during every shower, we had to call every night for coffee, and the temperature was impossible to get regulated. We did eat dinner in the bar area, and it was less than satisfactory (DRY burger) and of course spendy (which we expected). Perhaps the most shocking to me was the lack of an in-room safe. I understand at a budget hotel if that isn't an amenity, but this is a Hilton and I expect basic 4* amenities, an in-room safe being one of them.

Will all that said, the shuttle to the metro stop and the airport always went smoothly (every half hour) and made travel around the area easy without a rental car. The staff was also very friendly and helpful... every time we had to call for coffee, they brought it with a smile.

So bottom line, don't get stuck in the annex, check your coffee supply, and don't bring anything valuable unless you want to haul it to the front desk every day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center from October 28th - November 1st. Although there were a couple of snags with the room initially, Natosha at the front desk was incredibly nice and corrected the small issues immediately. Our trip to DC was primarily to attend a rally on Saturday, October 30th. The valet staff went out of their way to be as accommodating as possible by running at least 3 shuttles back to back instead of the normal 2 shuttles that depart every 30 minutes. They made getting everyone to the metro station their top priority while not neglecting the guests that were traveling to the shuttle's second stop, Reagan Airport. The Concierge desk was a mixed bag. Some were very helpful while others were just kind of grouchy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very happpy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We hope that you enjoyed the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear!

Thank you for the kind words about our service team - I have shared your comments so that they will know what a positive impact they had on your stay.

We hope to be of service to you again soon!