“Rally to Restore Sanity”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
The Dalles, Oregon
“Rally to Restore Sanity”
Reviewed November 2, 2010

All the hotels in Washington DC were full early for the rally. I’ve stayed in Virginia before (Crystal City Marriot) and found a good deal on Orbitz for this hotel. While the hotel check in was perfect and the hotel is a really nice facility, it is a long ways from the Metro (Pentagon City). The hotel offers a shuttle every 30 minutes to the station but it can be full going and on the way back it often needs to swing by Regan Airport to pick up travelers. This can make for a very long day. Also waiting for the shuttle is in an outside shelter which can get cold needless to say. If your coming here for meetings or business I’m sure it’s not that big of a deal but if you’re going to spend your time in DC or needing to ride the metro be prepared to have a long day. There are a number of hotels that offer the same shuttle to Metro program even though the other shuttles did seem to come more often. Maybe the biggest drawing back is there isn’t any neighbor bars or restaurants close by. We have a few glitches with housekeeping, needing extra glasses and hangers (which we never received) but all in all a nice place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave L
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We hope that you enjoyed the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear!

Charlie Banta
This response is the subjective opinion of the management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday and Saturday night. Room was clean and spacious, but maybe could use some updating. For example, the TV is a big CRT. That didn't bother us as we were in town to see the sights.

The shuttle drivers and the guys at the front door were fabulous. Always helpful. Bartenders and restaurant servers were also very good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for the kind words about our staff - they really enjoy knowing that they were able to positively impact our guests' stay.

Connecticut, USA
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I have stayed at the hotel while attending a conference in DC. It is located outside of DC and only 10 minute drive by car from Capitol (if no traffic). There are two buildings: the main tall one with Washington view on the horizon and the smaller 5-story one with balconies and small lake view. The hotel decor is good except for elevators' carpet (looks old); otherwise marble everywhere. The restaurant is nice. They have very good breakfast buffet with plenty of above average items such as salmon, cold cuts, berries in addition to traditional egg and sausage. The Sushi & Sashimi tasted great (in contrast to one of previous reviews). My corner room was spacious, had very comfortable bed with soft duvet, fast internet; the water pressure in the shower/tub was good as well. A small refrigerator was a plus. However, the AC/heater was not working right - it was cold no matter what temperature you set, so I had to simply shut it off. On positive note, I heard no noise from a corridor despite being very close to elevators. The hotel has a fitness center with Precor equipment in good shape and a small pool (often busy). Instead of traveling by car, you can use a shuttle. It runs once every 30-40 minutes from 7am till 10:30pm. The shuttle takes you to Pentagon Mall metro station (10 minute ride either way unless they go to DCA airport, then add 20 minutes). The good thing about shuttle that it exist; everything is else is not good: 1) The intervals are too long (there were 3 Sheraton shuttles in 30 minutes while I was waiting for this one at the metro station); 2) Same shuttle for the airport; 3) The above two issues may result in you unable to find a seat in the bus and wait for another one for 30-40 minutes; 4) The latest time to return is 10:30-10:40pm from the metro station or airport. I had a business dinner in DC at 9pm, so I had to come back to the hotel to pick up the car after having learned about 10:40pm time. It is because of need for 15 minute walk and 30-40 minute metro ride from downtown (I would have to leave the dinner at in impossible 9:40pm). The parking is $15-20/day (non-valet/valet), the valet is a good idea if you want to leave at the busy evening time when there is some function otherwise you would be waiting in a long and very lengthy line at the only exit from the parking garage. However, at all other times, self-parking is great. Overall, the hotel is good and if they fix above mentioned issues, it would be great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for the kind words about our Finn & Porter Restaurant. I was sorry to hear that the shuttle service was inconvenient for you. We do run shuttles every 30 minutes to The Pentagon City Mall / Metro and National Airport, as well as hourly shuttles to the King Street Metro in Old Town.
Thanks again for your comments - we hope to be of service to you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I actually did not stay at this hotel. I had made a reservation that allowed you to cancel up to 24 hours before your stay and when I called to cancel one of the nights, I was told that I couldn't because they had too many people checking out on that Saturday and they couldn't handle another person checking out and then they offered to make a reservation at a different Hilton where I would have to pay $50 a night more. This is the first time that ever made a reservation at a Hilton and it was the last. It sounds like it might be a decent hotel, but they make up their reservation policy as they go.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with our hotel. During high demand weekends it is very common for hotels to have a two or three night minimum. While our policy allowed for complete cancellation, which it appears that you did, it did not allow for a two night reservation to be shortened to a one night reservation. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
We hope to be of service to you in the future.

long island
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed for a four day weekend while we visited the sites in Washington DC. The hotel provided a van service to a Metro stop in Pentagon City. The ride was 10 to 15 minutes depending on the traffic.The room was large and was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff.We ate at the breakfast buffet every morning it was part of hotel package that included parking, breakfast, and room. We had dinner three nights in the hotel restaurant, the food was good and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay.

San Jose, Califor
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I was there for a conference. I walk into the room and find poop in the living room carpet. I tell them about it and they are rude as hell. Attached is a photo.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the cleanliness issue in your room, as well as the manner in which your complaint was handled by our staff. This is certainly embarrassing and not typical of the level of service delivered by our hotel. I have shared your review with our leadership team, and corrective action has been taken to avoid a similar occurence in the future.
Again - our apologies - we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future and better demonstrate the abilities of our staff and facility.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I came here for a four-day, three night business conference. The free shuttle van from Reagan National was right on time and delivered me to the hotel in about 20 minutes. The driver was well-intentioned, but stopped the shuttle a few feet from the drop-off point to answer tourist questions, leaving the rest of us who had been to DC before and who wanted to get off the van and checked-in to wait several minutes until he pulled up the last few feet and opened the door. Again, well-intentioned, but not aware that some of us had been to the DC area and just wanted to get off the van and on to reception.

I arrived at 1PM. There were only two staff at the counter. One was on the phone constantly. The other one was busy checking in one person at a time. The line was 1/2 dozen people or so. I was fortunate to be first in line. So, my wait was short. The others, not to much.

As I made my way to the room, I observed dented/scratched elevators that were dirty, dark stains on my bedroom carpet, yellow stains on the bed sheets and a blow drier that when I turned it on sparked shot out flames (I'm not kidding) before it died. The room I was in was near an elevator on the 19th floor. The room door allowed noise from the hall to pass through to the room (including a binging sound every time an elevator arrived there). There occasional were noises coming from my ceiling that sounded like somebody dropping a bowling ball.

Even so, the staff was attentive and responsive when I requested a replacement blow drier. Reception staff were courteous and seemed to enjoy working there.

The conference I attended had about 500 attendees. The conference food was served at breakfast (continental), lunch (buffet) and happy hour (hors d'oeuvres). The food preparation at breakfast was fine. At lunch, the meat was overcooked and dry. The sides (mashed potatoes) were dry and looked unappetizing. The sides were mostly starches (potatoes, corn on the cob, bread) with no fruits and sparse veggies in some sort of casserole. The food didn't taste very good. The hors d'oeuvres at happy hour were not much better: potato chips, tortillas...with small plates and awkward serving utensils (spoon for potato chips???). The best thing I ate was a soft pretzel with mustard.

Overall, based on my experience, I would not recommend this location for a convention. It felt dirty. The amenities were not in good repair. The food was unappealing. The staff were attentive and provided good service, however.

It is worth noting that Hilton employees in Chicago are on a three-day strike as I write this. The hotel I am reviewing is not in Chicago. However, it makes me wonder if there were possibly strike-related staffing issues that led to the poor foot service. Not sure...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our Hotel. While I was very sorry to hear that you were dissappointed with the general condition of the property, I was pleased to hear your positive comments about the level of service that you received.

We are in the final design stages of a complete guest room renovation that will commence this winter and be complete by early summer. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.