“Beware of Bed bugs”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed in Room 1009 for two nights and came home with bed bug bites! I am in the process of contacting the hotel to let them know but wanted to warn other travelers. This is not a problem you want to have -- mine are itchy and widespread and my symptoms didn't show up until two days after I came home. Obviously, I would not stay here again.

Overall, the hotel has a nice presence, but when it came right down to it, it was a sub-par experience. It took 6 phone calls and 6 hours to get a new desk chair that did not squeak everytime I moved. I'm not exagerating on the # of phone calls and hours -- it was truly mouth dropping that such a simple request was so hard to accommodate. The desk phone also had a bad wall connection so that wasn't usable -- after my experience with the desk chair, I didn't even bother trying to get this fixed.

Bed bugs, bad service experience -- all mine for $210/night!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank marinsn

Reviewed October 1, 2008

My son attended the People to People Leadership forum this past September. It was his first time staying at a hotel away from
us. I must say I was very pleased with this hotel. There were over 300 children and everything went very well. He really enjoyed his stay at the Hilton Mark Center. My husband and I stayed at a hotel in National Harbor which was just a short drive over to the Hilton Mark Center.

On the last two nights of his adventure my husband and I also stayed at the Hilton Mark Center, and although its an older Hotel it was very nice. Rooms were large, clean and recently updated.

They had a very nice lounge area and a bar in the lobby. They had a very nice indoor-outdoor pool and with the September weather being nice & sunny plenty of outside chairs around the pool.

I would definitely recommend this Hilton. It was just a short drive into Washington DC area. It is located in a very nice and safe neighborhood. They did charge for parking, but it seems all hotels these days are charging for parking, being from New York the $9.00 fee seem reasonable compare to what i just paid in NYC last week.

Also downtown Alexandria where there are numerous restaurants was just a short drive away, or i believe they shuttle you to Old Town and then you can walk up and down King Street which was really great, I love Alexandria. The Fish Market restaurant was so nice we ate their twice!!!

We really enjoyed our visit and My son enjoyed his stay as well.
I would also recommend the People to People Leadership for young adults to tour Washington DC its a very well run program.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I spend five nights at the Hilton Alexandria at Mark Center in Alexandria, Virginia for a conference. The hotel looks quite new, spacious halls, marble on the floor, and fake gold on the elevators. The rooms were very tidy, the cleaning lady sure did a great job. Yet, what made my stay very uncomfortable was the temperatures in that building. From the reception aerea on one side to the rear exit leading to the parking air conditioning ran at full pelt. The conference rooms were cooled down to 17°C. I had a running nose all throughout my stay. Lucky enough I was had an independent AC in my room. Second thing is the Internet access. Leaflets proclaimed a high-speed internet access either by cable or wire. First thing, there're no network cables in the rooms to connect to. So I switched in my wireless access... nothing doing ... for THREE days. On the fourth day I finally got an IP address from the wireless router and found out that:
A) they use routes that limit access to only 100 user at a time, and
B) speed was limited as well to merely ISDN quality if at all working.
Very disappointing and absolutely not what I expected from a Hilton hotel.
Apart from that I had a very good time in the Washington D.C. area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank christian1311
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This is an old hotel. It really is a hit and miss with this one. Occassionally I get a good room with a good bathroom. For example, today I was put in a room that has physically handicapped bathroom that was not cleaned well. While the PH room may be good for the disabled, I don't need it. I didn't have a choice but to accept it. I was offered this in lieu of the room with a "jacuzzi". But they didn't tell me that having jacuzzi in your room also means that you have to bear the smoking smell!! I think all their rooms with jacuzzi permit smoking which effectively means to that they are livable to me.

I stay here 2-3 weeks a month on government rate. May be its because of the rate or whatever, this one doesn't really stand up to the "Hilton" brand.

There are better choices around that offer free breakfast, free wifi, and better cancellation policy if those are important to you.

Oh, by the way, they try to price gouge you whenever they can.

I really wanted to stay here because of the points I already have with Hilton. But can't take it anymore. I'll be switching to a different hotel for all my future reservations.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank flash777
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This is a great hotel for business. It is close to major highways, has parking, has a business center, and plenty of conference rooms. As far as traveling here for pleasure, the location is not great. It is inconvenient to get into the city and there is nothing nearby to walk to. There is a pool and one restaurant but not much else for a vacationer!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. Overall the stay was wonderful. All the service we received was so polite and friendly. The best was Eric in the Finn and Porter restaurant. The restaurant has a wonderful buffet breakfast, sushi bar for dinner and a limited dinner menu.
The hotel was beautiful. The fitness center did not have wonderful weights for weight lifting, but they had plenty of treadmills with tvs. The pool had a lifeguard for the half inside and half outside pool with plenty of tables and lounge chairs. You were welcome to sit in any of the inside or outside table areas without anyone bothering you. The rooms were spacious with a coffee maker, coffee, creamer and tea bags. We also had a small refrigerator.
The hotel was perfectly located for us tourists. 5 minutes from the hotel was a TGI Fridays, 7-11, Popeye's, Mc Donald's, but it was so close to go to Washington or Old Town Alexandria for dinner too. The hotel is right off the highway (you don't hear the noise) and it takes you directly to Washington and past the Pentagon. The closest exit is King Street which takes you into Old Town. Mount Vernon is easy to access and well worth spending the day. It helps to look on the websites to obtain Washington Monument tickets in advance and the Holocaust Museum as they suggest you get on line at 8 am to have a chance of getting tickets for the day.
Overall, we could not have asked for a better hotel, service was great, the location was safe with on the site parking garage, and we would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2008

As Hiltons go this has to be the worst I’ve ever stayed in. The rooms were dingy, the carpet worn and outdated, the overall hotel layout dismally inefficient, and the pool and gym were unbearably small for such a large hotel but none of that can compare with the rude, inefficient, and uncaring service. Upon check-in, the type of room I had reserved was not available so, after some rigmarole, I was ‘installed’ in what they had left – a handicap accessible room. Normally this would be fine but the bathroom was horribly laid out and there was essentially no vanity or counter space. The room was dark and rather dingy and the carpet in the halls and the room was outdated and faded. The room also had a funny smell and the hall smelled like cigarette smoke. There was no hair drier in the room.

Generally, I am not a really nit-picky traveler but when you call the front desk they should answer. In the course of my stay I had several occasions to call the front desk. I was hung up on once, put on hold for minutes and minutes every single time, and often the staff mumbled so much I had to ask them to repeat themselves several times. When asking for directions at the concierge the old coot was not only impolite and argumentative he was downright rude and anything but helpful. Another evening I spent half an hour waiting for the concierge to call me a cab and, when one finally came, he failed to notify me even though I’d been hanging around his desk the entire time. I was late for dinner reservations. The food at the hotel restaurant , Finn and Porter, was dismal and expensive, my towels were randomly replaced or not and there was no correlation to whether or not I followed the directions to leave them on the rack for re-use. Wireless internet is not free but $9.95 per day and is very slow while the business center is not free either. You are charged a flat fee of something like $2.99 to logon plus a per minute charge - all this, if you just want to print your boarding pass. I felt nickel and dimed to death. If you are paying Hilton prices your shouldn’t have to pay $3 to print your boarding pass.

Overall the experience was dismal and I would go out of my way to never stay at that hotel again. In fact, I will be re-thinking any potential Hilton stays in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business