“Choose another hotel”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This facility would be nice if it were better maintained and the staff were interested in welcoming and caring for customers. I had consistently unresponsive and poor hotel staff service, the up escalator from the lower level never worked the entire week I was there for a conference and the elevators were ridiculously slow to move people (seemed like only 2 of four were working). The food in the restaurant was very good but the older hostess was rude and unpleasant. There are no stores within walking distance (except for a 7-11 about half a mile walk). I would suggest choosing another hotel, there are many to choose from in that area. I paid about $160/night

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Brenda B
Thank you for sharing your observations and experience. We are sorry that the escalator was not working during your visit. We had to wait over a week for the correct parts to arrive and it is now is being fixed.

I am sorry for your experience in the restaurant and I will share this information with the restaurant manager who is sure to take corrective action.

Please know we value your business and wish to be your host in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

had a great room with a great view of the city to the South. Wanted a room facing North but the room was not ready when we arrived. We could have waited but I had missed up on my schedule and the train was 5 hours late which required us to be on the train for 28 hours. We were tired and needed a shower ASAP. We were hoping to get out and see the city, but just too tired. Oh by the way they have a shuddle service. Good information to have and we did not, paid for a taxi to get to the hotel. We only found this out when we were ready to check out and requested a taxi. We were told by the front desk to be in the lobby at this time and were would get to the train on time. Well that did not happen, the driver was behind and we left 15 minutes late and with the knowledge that we needed to be at the train at this time, he went to the airport first and dropped us off l;ate. The train was not even in site when we arrived. To top it all off it cost me another $60 dollars to get us on the next train, which was running 30 minutes late. Go figure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your honest feedback. We sincerely apologize for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. We have addressed your review with our management team. Our shuttle is first come first serve and although we try very hard to stay on schedule. The traffic around D.C. and the airport does get backed up at times. Again, We apologize for the inconvenience.

Ralph Priesing.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. The airport shuttle arrived ten minutes after our plane landed at DCA. Driver pleasant and loaded our luggage then whisked us off to the hotel. It only took a few minutes and when we arrived we were greeted by all with smiles. The front desk clerk happily informed us our room was ready and it was only 10:00 a.m.! Nice surprise. Our room was clean, all toiletries were there. We had a frig and microwave, coffee maker. A nice balcony that looked out a lovely pond with a fountain. When we ventured out to find the pool and got lost (the hotel is massive, beautiful but huge) a very nice man, Abdoul, (not sure of his job title but he seemed to be always making sure guests needs were being met) noticed us and walked us to the pool.The pool was lovely and refreshing with lots of chairs to lounge on. We ate at the restaurant three times and it was very good; nice breakfast buffet with fruit, granola, yogurt, eggs, roasted potatoes, bacon, sausage, hash, french toast, muffins, biscuits with gravy, croissants, bagels, juice, coffee, tea for only $12.95. As I said, the hotel is very large and there were loads of people staying here but it never felt crowded. When we were in our room we heard only the birds while we were on the balcony. It was very quiet and peaceful. I am really looking forward to our next trip to the DC area and here is where we will stay.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

On line review shows great amenities. Hotel is worth staying at. Just make sure your online info and hotel info match, and you get what you are paying for. I was giving miss information about parking and then miss information about meals. Package for kids meals is worth the money. I would stay again at this location.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nice hotel. I had two rooms. One room was on the 12th floor for my mom and sister. (Great room Clean just had a loose shower handle). My room on the 9th floor needed work. Shower was broke, bath tub wasn’t clean and a bulb was blown near the front door. It wasn't real fun walking in to a dark room trying to find a working light. I checked in around 9:30pm, bought my luggage up and left back out to pick my mom up in Maryland. Returned about 11:30 and was going to shower. Tub was dirty and I found hair in the tub. The handle for the shower was broke up and laying on the tub. I decided to just wash up at the sink that night and in the morning and I would shower once I got home. I didn’t complain since it was just a one night stay, but this hotel needs to get it together. I can’t see myself staying here again even if this is an isolated problem.

1  Thank VaBest1
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear VABEST1

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. As the General Manager at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, I assure you that my team and I are working very hard to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will allow us to exceed your expectations. Your comments indicate that you had an issue with cleanliness, for which I sincerely apologize. I have scheduled a meeting with the housekeeping team to be certain that we take the corrective steps needed to improve in this area.
Again, thank you for sharing your observations and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My stay is pleasant thus far, but i feel like an afterthought because my room looks rushed through, like housekeeping really didnt care. I understand that housekeeping is not the most pleasant of jobs. I asked, however for a bulb to be replaced in my desk lamp. Three days later, I finally got it! Iwonder how I would have been treated if I were in a suite? My pillows were on the floor too (here I go with the pillows again). I'm just saying that I work very hard, and when I go on vakay, I would appreciate a good ROI, you know?

Room Tip: Close but far. a good thing if you need quiet, a bad thing if you want hubbub.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have an expectation of Hilton, and this hotel while it's a nice hotel did not meet it. Housekeeping reviews- I read and thought impossible! IT's very possible, happen to us as well. They also left their trash right outside our door as we were going back and forth to pool and fitness center. It was there for at least 4-5 hours until I (yes me) finally moved it to housekeeper. She was upsest, and I said I could not handle the awful order of at least 5 hour old trash (remind you from guests delivery the night before, pizza, various dishes, it was strong and gross). We bought spray for our room, there's no question it was in there all day. Oh, did I add when we came back our door was wide open with the LARGE bag of trash right outside and my room open for all to see? Not Hilton standards.

There were other issues, but it is a beautiful property. I have heard from friends in the area that's there's a storage of workers in the DC and surrounding areas. I don't know if they just can't find good people, but I hope that changes. I wish them well, the bed was comfortable, the room was nice but once it smelled like trash we just had to leave the next day.

Pro- Great location and hotel. Con- Staff, especially housekeeping and front desk wasn't very polite nor recognized (or cared) that I was a Gold Hilton Honor member. Maybe I slipped to silver, but still shouldn't I be thanked as other Hilton brand hotels do? I don't know, it was enough to get me to start an account and review it.

Room Tip: Ask if they trained their housekeeping staff!
1  Thank Ray R
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Ray R
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and observations. My team and I are working very hard to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will allow us to exceed your expectations. Your comments indicate that you had an issue with trash in the halls and housekeeping for which I sincerely apologize. I will review your observations with our housekeeping team who are certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve in this area.
Again, thank you for your response and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.