“Inspect hotel room, bathroom for cleanliness first!”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Blacksburg, United States
“Inspect hotel room, bathroom for cleanliness first!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

For a 3star rated hotel, the Hilton Alexandria needs to step it up to earn this rating. Check your hotel room, bathroom before your unpack to ensure it's clean! Several complaints with our 4 day stay. Most prevalent issue was the cleanliness of the room, especially bathroom, and how long it took to get that issue remedied. Of course, we know others stay in hotel rooms before us, but we NEVER want to see evidence of this, especially in a 3star hotel. The amenities are 3star, but the cleanliness is 2star. After 2 days of our stay, we finally got a clean room, bathroom, and a slew of freebies before that to encourage us to stay with them and Hilton chain in future. I wrote a letter encouraging them to train, retrain, revamp their training to live up to the 3star rating in all areas of the hotel...not just some. Hopefully that helps future guests!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Erin S
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Erin S
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your observations and experience. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations in most regards and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Your comments indicate that you had an issue with housekeeping for which I sincerely apologize. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper, who is certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve in this area.

Ralph Priesing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I travel to the area on busness and frequently stay in this hotel. It's always clean and the staff have never been rude. I'm on a per diem and I do get frustrated with this hotel. When the tourists are not around the hotel accepts the amount paid for my travel, but during the high season the hotel requires a minimum nights stay. It's somewhat frustrating for the business person not having any consistant rules for travel expenses until you attempt to make a reservation. Many that come from the west coast with travel no longer take the time to check to see if the rate is available and simply opt for another chain.

For personal travel it's a good location and always clean. For a per diem trip I'd try another hotel and not waste your time.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pitt_twins
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations in most regards and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Your comments indicate that you had an issue with length of stay requirements for which I sincerely apologize. Please know we do not target "per diem" guest with length of stay requirements. We do reserve rooms for people who will be staying at the hotel for longer periods of time when we are close to being sold out. Again, thank you for your response and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in Hilton Alexandria Mark Center very recently and the hotel is beautiful inside out.
I had a high floor and corner room and had one of the most amazing views of the Capital Hill. The room was nice, updated and spacious; the bathrooms were a little old looking but still nice and clean.
The staff at the front desk was very courteous and knowledgeable. I
forgot my tooth brush and called down to ask for one and the housekeepers brought me one in no time.
The only thing that surprised me was that we were charged for 2 cars since we had 2 rooms but once i told the front desk agent that I only had one car she removed the charges from my bill without any questions.
Overall it was a great stay and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: High Floor and Corner Room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Checked into this hotel after a horrendous experience at another local hotel. The experience at the HIlton Alexandria Mark Center couldn't have been better.

Starting with a smooth and quick check-in process. We were in our room in 10 minutes. The room was well laid out and had a spacious feel. We had a corner room and they are worth the extra money.

Our room faced East-ish, but we had could see the city. The view from the 24th floor was impressive. The hotel seems to be in a green-belt and watching the combination of cars and trees was quite relaxing.

The only issue was the air was a bit on the cool side.

Bed was comfortable.

I'd happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Spring for a corner room on a higher floor. The room layout and views will be worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Monroeville, New Jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I spent one Friday night here when I came to Alexandria recently for a show related to my hobby. Good points: Front desk staff was very courteous and helpful during check-in and check-out. They paid attention to my request for a high floor room which, as a light sleeper, I appreciated (I was on the 28th floor; there are 30 floors in the main tower). Views are great even if you're not facing DC.The room was quite clean, only fault I found was a stain on the bed sheets. Bed was comfortable, room was quiet. Restaurant had good food & good service for dinner as was breakfast room service. I had no contact with housekeeping since I was only there one night, but I didn't see anybody in the halls when I left at around 8:30 Saturday morning.

Bad points: Parking is a tad pricey ($24 for self-park is about what I'd pay in a much bigger city than Alexandria - what's the deal?). They do mention it on their site so it was no surprise, but it's still irritating. And as another reviewer pointed out, there are steps in the hotel you have to climb up or down to get to the lobby from the garage. Though I think you can park on the lowest level of the garage to avoid them and keep your car covered.

Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a corner room - very spacious and bright. If doing self-park, use the lowest level to avoid the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear CBM64
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations in most regards and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future!

Sincerely
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Views and location is unbeatable and though price is reasonable and on the higher side but be aware of hidden unnecessary charges like 28$ for self parking in an area where the hotel can afford to offer free self parking as well as internet which is not free!!!
Most front disk staff are very friendly and helpful except for one lady whom I will diffidently avoid if I have to stay in the hotel again.
The rooms are specious and if you are anywhere above 12th floor then you will enjoy the views and if you are lucky to stay on the 25th floor like me then you are in for the ultimate view of the Potomac and D.C
House keeping is a real pain with dirty towels (spots of makeup and dirt on them), spoiled creamer for the coffee, opening door without knocking at 8:30 in the morning and when we complained they got meaner and things got worse so be careful.
Over all and except for the house keeping I am sure you will enjoy your stay at this very busy hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear LUV2FLY747
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and observatioons. We are extremely pleased that we met your expectations in most regards and we look forward to being your host again in the very near future! Your comments indicate that you had an issue with housekeeping for which I sincerely apologize. I am taking steps to make sure the team is properly trained so we can make the guest experience much better.
Again, thank you for your review and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.
Cortland, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Unlike another traveller, we had great service from the get go. The gentleman at the front desk let us check in 2 hours early. When I went back out to get my bags I was followed, unknowingly, by a bellhop that wouldn't let us carry anything in ourselves. By the time I parked the car and got to my room our bags were set nearly by the window, not in the way as if they were tossed in a rush. The concierge was pleasant and helpful.

Yes, the parking is $24 per night... You will have that anywhere in the city. It is shown on their website so don't be surprised.

There is a free shuttle service to the airport and metro stations. Use it... Then pay the paltry fees to use the metro. It's well worth not having to park in the street in DC or sit in traffic.

• Stayed May 2013
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear fcoon
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the HIlton Alexandria Mark Center. I am very pleased that the bell man did such a wonderful job and meet your expectations.

Sincerely