“Watch out for charges”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel January, 2013. Rate was fine, room very nice with a great view.
Two main issues: $20.00 per night car parking charge not clearly declared in the ad which I felt was deceptive and employee at desk "snippy" when I addressed issue. $50.00 "surprise charge" levied against my credit card upon check out. This charge was never mentioned by anyone and I discovered the charge when I habitually check my banking records. When I called the hotel to inquire, it was explained that it was an incidental charge and would be removed if no incidental charges were found to exist.
I am reluctant to deal with anything "Hilton" in the future mainly for them not being forthright in their business practices. Why not just be upfront with customers and not have "surprise business tactics?
I would think that the majority of customers would be driving a vehicle, so adjust your price up front.

Room Tip: Always ask about any incidental charges to include parking, security deposits and so on.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the property and amenities offered.

Please accept my apolgies for not better explaining the allowance reserved on your credit card for incidental charges, which is customary in processing credit cards.

Thanks again for the opportunity to address your concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a night while traveling for business. Even though it was a business stay I was able to lock in a really great nightly rate. The hotel staff was very nice and I really liked how the hotel had updated the rooms to be more modern. I had a great view of downtown DC and Alexandria, which made my stay even better. The one item that I did not appreciate about the hotel was the high parking rates that they charge, over $20 for self parking, which seems pretty steep since we are not even in a city area. Breakfast was included with my rate, however I was not impressed with the buffet, which included cold bacon and a limited selection.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I checked into my room on a early Saturday morning. My first impression was the hotel looked to be clean and modern. The guest services agent wasn't friendly at first but when I needed something he seemed to be helpful, just a little snippy, Initially I stayed in room 1709, the room smelled of smoke. Outside of that it was fairly clean, the stench of the old smoke annoyed me initially, but the view was incredible which helped the room feeler nicer. I had my sister in room 333 which was in another building. Her room smelled even more so like smoke. Not only that there where dirty towels in the tub.The other building also seemed old, cold, and distant. But she was happy to be away and for her bed was comfortable. Everything was going ok until the next morning, when I had to check out and check back in because I had a separate reservation for my next 6 nights. I was told I couldn't stay in my same room because some one had e-checked in and that I had to move. Needless to say I was annoyed again. I was moved to 715 and my sister went to 714. The rooms smelled the same but lay out was similar so I was happy. The only time I had a problem here was when housekeeping came up and told us he had did not clean the room because he had to call management. Get this the reason he had to call management was because we took the sheets off the bed instead of leaving the cleaning card on the bed with the sheets. So he told his manager there weren't sheets or towels! I was extremely angry, having someone to insinuate we had stolen some sheets and towels and I had 5 more nights to stay there! None the less the housekeeping manager came up and apologized eventually and we didn't have anymore housekeeping problems. I have to give a high five to the manager Michael King he handled my request quickly and without hesitation!

Room Tip: I paid 9.95 for internet and twenty dollars a night for self parking.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping issues that you noted; your experience was not a typical one, and we hope to have the opportunity to better demonstrate the abilities of our staff.

Thank you for the kind words about Michael - I know he will be pleased to know that he was able to positively impact your visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights last week for a visit in DC. Overall, the hotel is fine, standard 3-4 star hotel, not very Hilton as those I stayed before, it's ok to stay there for the price. And it do come with a nice view and king bed. One thing I can't accept is that they charged me 63 dollar for parking without notify me. I found out when I accidentally review my credit card bills( which I normally don't), and found out the parking charge. Which is funny, because I don't even have a car. I called the hotel, and they keep putting me on hold for 3 times, which is also not a good thing for customer service, especially for hospitality industry. In general, I do like the hotel, but they have to improve the service, which I consider is the most important thing for hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank nigelpan
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the error in charging you for parking.

We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located (near my family). It is very well maintained and spotless. The rooms are comfortable with excellent amenities. Comfortable WiFi is extra unless you have an AT&T account or are a Hilton Honors member. Just go online and join - membership is free.

The Restaurant, Finn and Porters is very good and serves an excellent breakfast, either buffet or ala carte. The coffee is excellent. Lunch and dinner are also very good leaning to steaks, chops and seafood, but other choices as well, vegetarians have choices as well.

Back to the hotel the service is excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night, but it was divine. We had a reservation for a room with two queen beds, but they easily changed that to a king since our traveling companion stayed home. Spacious clean room with a terrific view of DC. Quiet, couldn't hear our neighbors. Parking was 20$ to self-park and they put a 50$ incidental hold on the c.c. The room was well decorated with photos of DC. Plenty of plugs for all our chargers. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel is very nice .Beautiful view from upper floor.We stayed 28th floor. Nice staff ,good room service ,free shuttle service from hotel to pentagon metro-station and airport every hour till 6-00am to 11-00 pm .Breakfast buffet items were fruits,juice,coffee,sausage,bacon,bread,cheese,french toast,fried potatoes,sauce,cream,milk,yogurt,cake,donuts and many more.
We stayed two nights.The day when we check-out,the shuttle was late in the airport for 10 minutes .For this delay they give us one night gift card or cash back. That will valid for one year.
If we go to Washington DC again,we will stay in this hotel.Realy love it.

Room Tip: upper floor and any side .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business