“Hilton Mark Center Alexandria near DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Alexandria Mark Center

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
Maryland
“Hilton Mark Center Alexandria near DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed in several hotels in Alexandria. Hilton completed a renovation of all rooms and common areas this year and well it makes a huge difference. If I have a choice between this hotel and others located near DOD for the same or similar money there is no question stay here.

They have one restaurant on property but also others near by and you can walk across the street to Clydes if you really want to. Also Starbucks is located about 3 blocks down the road as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had a great room on the 30th floor. The housekeeping missed me two of my four day stay, so I saw my room cleaned once. The customer service was indifferent which I have been told is typical for this area. Except for nice room, I saw no value, nothing special and won't hurry to return when I am in the area.

Room Tip: I had a great view form 30th floor!
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Keijan1961
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, but was alarmed to learn about the service and housekeeping issues that you experienced. Please accept our sincere apologies.

I have shared your comments with our leadership team, so that improvements may be made.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to have the chance to be of service to you again, to better demonstrate the abilities of our team.

Most Hospitably Yours,

Charlie Banta
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Though my stay here was quick, it was nonetheless pleasant. Check-in was friendly and quick. I was upgraded to a "corner room" (aren't most of the rooms in this hotel "corner rooms?") on a high floor. Even with the high floor, I still could hear quite a bit of street noise at night. I was given a complimentary breakfast as an HHonors Gold member. The service in the restaurant seemed uncoordinated, and slow. Food was okay from the buffet. The one downside of the hotel was the parking, which cost $20/night, though this is typical for a hotel in a metro area, so not unexpected. I'd return to the hotel if the price is right in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a conference, and my experience was very good over all. All of the hotel staff members that I met were friendly, helpful, and organized. My hotel room was great. Everything was clean and ready when I arrived, and there was a beautiful view. Parking was convenient and not over-priced for guests staying at the hotel. The only I would have changed is that I had to take a really long and convoluted walk to get from the hotel lobby to my room, and I could not find another entrance to the building. My room was quiet though, and that was way more important to me than the convenience of getting to the room. I would recommend this hotel to others.

travelingmomma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family and I decided to have a break from life and spend a night in Alexandria. We stayed at the Mark Center on the 20th floor. The kids room had 2 queen beds and was a pretty good size room with a fridge, decent sized bathtub and a few of other buildings. We got a king bed corner room and it was huge, with a fridge, again decent size bathtub and an amazing view of the city. (we would have traded with the kids but they needed 2 beds).

The hotel is a little dated and yes the elevators are a little slow getting to you but fast when you are in them. Room service was good and the sushi (yes, we dare order sushi from room service as they hotels restaurant is a seafood place that is respectable) and it was good and the chocolate cake was great!

For the price which was a song on Expedia (though I do love Tripadvisor) it was a great over night. The garage is not cheap but if you pay for the spot with your room then you're only charged once and can come and go as you please.

For me the size of the room (huge) and the proximity to DC makes it a great place for families to stay and I would stay again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are huge and ours had a great view on the 20th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

As a travel agent I am VERY picky about hotels especially if I am going to recommend them to a client. I can honestly say this hotel and their staff has been exceptional.

I checked in and was upgraded to the 30th floor in a corner room. The service has been wonderful and the staff helpful. They were attentive, the room clean and room service was very quick.

The bed comfortable, and the amenities plenty. The bath was a large deep tub that I got to enjoy. The food in the restaurant was wonderfully cooked, tasty and reasonably priced.

The only recommendation I could make would be that if they have a deep tub like this would be to include a little bottle of bubble bath :)

1 Thank jmf528
Kona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here for a conference; the hotel was selected by the conference organizers, so we didn't make the hotel selection ourselves.

Our corner room was excellent; clean and spacious with a comfortable bed, perfect pillows (and I'm picky about pillows), large bathroom and a refrigerator (but no microwave - we requested one after arrival and were told they were not available). Nice big picture windows with an expansive view. Comfortable chairs and a plenty of electrical outlets, and the wifi worked fine.

But the hotel is located in an area where this no place anywhere nearby to purchase food, and the hotel food was pretty overpriced. It may be that I'm just too used to Hawaii hotels, where the hotel sundries shops have all manner of food and drink items, but this hotel's shop had almost nothing in it - mostly candy and soda. We felt a bit like we were being held hostage so that we'd be forced to eat only expensive hotel meals.

On the up side, though, they do provide an excellent shuttle service that will take you to Old Town Alexandria - although it's still a bit of a trek from the shuttle stop to the nearest market - a Whole Foods. We loaded up there and were able to have healthy breakfasts and lunches in our room.

Back on the down side, there was a major kerfluffle regarding the shuttle driver - apparently someone had complained because the shuttle driver had allowed people to ride on the shuttle standing up, as they were so many people wanting a ride. The hotel management had come down hard on the driver, so he was strictly enforcing the rule of no standing passengers - leaving people standing through two or three shuttle rounds. Why on earth didn't they use the bigger shuttles (which they had) or put more of them into action? Not very good customer service, especially when the shuttle is a necessity rather than a frill for a hotel in this location.

So, I'd say they do an excellent job of providing top-quality rooms, but they sort of fall down on facilitating a guest's pleasant experience in the face of a less than ideal location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business