“A bit off the beaten path, but nice accommodations.”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Essex, Connecticut
“A bit off the beaten path, but nice accommodations.”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed here twice on business in the summer of 2011. Staff quite accommodating. Clean room, I was given a lovely suite on both occasions. This hotel is nowhere, and I do mean nowhere, near the Metro although they provide a regular shuttle (they could run it a bit more often - every half hour is just not enough for a business hotel). Nice grounds behind the hotel, adequate pool (under repair while I was there) and fitness center, although there are probably too few cardio machines for the size of the hotel - I was there for a military conference, and you can be sure that 250+ active duty military folks filled up the machines in a hurry at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view toward DC.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Chicago
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I recently stayed at this property by default, however, if I am in the area once again I will stay there by choice.

To keep it short, I encountered some of the best staff in the area, inclusive of the PBX operator by the name of Peggy. She went out of her way to assist with a plethora of questions I had referencing the property and this was my first experience with the hotel, which was fantastic. In the sushi area within Finn and Porter Restaurant, Chef Kim, Baschir and Paul were absolutely superb staff and made my stay very enjoyable to the point I actually ate in a hotel restaurant two nights in a row. By the way, the sushi was spectacular and extremely fresh.

I found the rooms (I had a corner king) to be above average although some of the wallpaper and fixtures certainly need attention but the hotel is not brand new. The soft goods were nice and were in acceptable condition. If there is any downside to the property it is they do not have HD TV in the rooms. They have 42" flat screens with analog cable and a poor selection of channels.

The location to DCA Airport is about 6 miles and due to the high occupancy vehicle lane the free shuttle service bypasses all of the traffic, thank goodness. Excellent service and worth your while to try out the Hilton Alexandria Mark.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Revere, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Shuttle was free and on time. I used it to get to the airport and the metro.
Bath towels are large, like bath sheets, and new.
AV was exactly as I had requested, and the pricing was as expected for a business hotel in the metro dc market.
Room was clean, bright, big, and had many plugs for today's business needs.
HHonors included wifi connectivity. Added Bonus.
Room service was fast and priced right.
Bar staff were friendly, quick and hd great service.
Happy hour menu was great and tasty.
Lobby was quiet enough to get work done or recharge and relax.
Gym was not crowded and had what I needed at 6am.

Best chicken cesar salad of my life.

Room Tip: Ask for what you would like. And don't be a jerk about it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My wife and I had to change our plans litterally at the last moment as our son who was scheduled to be in DC had an accident and could not make it. We had bought a package deal for four days. Some friends of ours were visiting at the same time so we were going to give our 4 day reservation to them. They were only going to use 2 days. We were going to eat the other two. Sounds like an easy deal, right ? No way.
Their attitude; tough !
Stayed on hold for hours trying to be a good Samatine for our friends and the management at the Hilton knew they had us by the hook so they could care less.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our hotel, which I am sorry was not a more pleasant one.

Advance purchase packages are available from time to time at a deep discount, but are unfortunately non-refundable and non-transferrable. We of course would have been able to be much more flexible changing a non-restricted reservation.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference where we booked numerous rooms, conference and AV equipment, ordered breakfast, lunch and refreshments (spent alot of $$ at this facility). First disappointment, asked for a king suite/late arrival. Arrived to a disgusting room (I wore flip flops the entire time and even in the the shower). Carpet soiled, bathroom gross, water stains in the ceiling and dated furniture. Note: they did have a few remodeled rooms but, I didn't receive one. The majority of our group received the same type of rooms. I complained to the front desk and emailed corporate. I never received a response, apology or any type of discount. You'd do better stating at a Red Roof Inn. At least you won't be spending almost $300 for a dump! No wonder Paris and her sister will have a large inheritance; the family doesn't spend the money on upkeeping their property. BEWARE don't stay at the Alexandria Mark!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask to see the room before accepting a key to any room.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Donna M
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel last year. I'm sorry that your stay was not a more pleasant one.

I am pleased to report however, that we are putting the final touches on an $11 Million renovation that includes all guest rooms ans suites, lobby areas and much of our meeting space.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service in our new and improved hotel.

Ontario, California
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center for a business conference. The first let down was when I was checking in, even though I booked my reservation 5 MONTHS prior to my arrival and book a specific room. They didn't HOLD my reservation. I felt I was in a Jerry Stienfield episode. The gave me an inferior room, made me do all the work to keep all my clothes packed up to switch rooms half way through the week. They didn't want to help me out even though they screwed up the rooms. The staff was very impolite as well, on one occasion, a conference waitress was walking around with some finger food and asked me if I would like to try some, I asked her what is the finger food? All she did was laugh at me and walked away! The rooms are so so, paint peeling, tiles in the bath need to be cleaned, there was mold in the grout. The location is ok, however there isn't any stores or restaurants close by, you need to take their shuttle to the mall an from there you can catch the metro into downtown D.C. The problem for such a big hotel you think there would be more than 1 shuttle bus, sorry there isn't!!!! You have to compete with the DCA airport guests, so if you miss a shuttle, you could be waiting there a long time! You may be best to take a taxi to get into downtown Washington D.C. Over all you could do better, I would skip this hotel unless you wanted to be stranded for an entire week in your room.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms offer a great view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank neotripper
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was sorry to hear that your visit was not a more pleasant one. The hotel does offer complimentary shuttle service every 30 minutes to and from the Pentagon City Metro Station and National Airport in addition to being on the DASH route with busses offering service to multiple locations and metro stations in the DC area; I'm sorry that these options did not fit your needs more closely.
We hope to be of service to you again when your travels bring you to Northern Virginia.

Best Regards,

MELBOURNE
Reviewed September 18, 2011

When you book into a Hilton, you expect a certain level of accomodation. The Alexandria Mark Center does not dissapoint. Large, clean, well decorated,great service meets you at every turn. From the almost instant check in, to the quick attention to problems that come up leaves you to concentrate on the reason for you stay. The shuttle to/from the airport is a welcome touch. The shuttle to the bus stop into DC was a bit scarey at first but pretty clear cut. Note : be careful on the way back and make sure you get off at the Pentagon City stop and not the one befor that at the Pentagon. A mistake that we made ,but thanks to one of our servicemen, were able to get back on track. The wait for the shuttle was almost an hour inspite of the 30 min scheduel and crowded. The only real minuses are the cost of wifi, (we have come to expect free wifi at a facility of this level and the 14.95 daily parking charge)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple