“Ten years' worth of stays summed up in one post”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Springfield, VA
“Ten years' worth of stays summed up in one post”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

My husband and I got married at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center 10.5 years ago and have stayed at the hotel several times since then (my employer used to have its December holiday parties here and booked blocks of rooms for people who didn't want to drive home). Family who stayed at the hotel for our wedding still stay here when they are in the DC area because they liked it so much. We visited again last night for my husband's birthday, so I'm finally writing a review.

The hotel is in Mark Center, which was named after the late Mark Winkler, a real estate developer, in Alexandria's West End. It was originally a Radission property and was purchased by Hilton in 1999 or 2000. Mark Center includes, in addition to the hotel, office buildings, apartment complexes, and the Winkler Nature Preserve. (Mark Center is also the site of a huge new office building for the Department of Defense that will open in the not-too-distance future.) So, it's not in Old Town, and its closest neighbors are office buildings. The hotel, does, however, run a regular shuttle to the King Street Metro and to National Airport. And, thanks to the nature preserve, it's set in a quiet, wooded area at the intersection of Seminary Road and Beauregard Street. It is primarily a business hotel, but that doesn't mean that vacationers wouldn't enjoy. You can get some great rates on the weekends.

Approximately four blocks down Beauregard Street (10-minute walk from the hotel and an even shorter drive), there is a shopping area that includes Clyde's Mark Center location (Clyde's is a DC-area chain of restaurants with very good food) and a shopping center with a Giant grocery store, 24-hour CVS pharmacy, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Starbuck's, and a good Thai restaurant. In addition, if you're looking for an inexpensive place to have breakfast, the office building at 4900 Seminary Road (across Mark Center Drive from the hotel and facing onto Seminary Road) has a deli on the ground floor that's a good place for a quick breakfast. I can't recommend their lunches (the coldcuts are pretty average and avoid the turkey at all costs), but they do a great breakfast platter of eggs, bacon, home fries, and toast.

In our most recent stay, we had a corner king room on the 8th floor. Even though our room was nowhere near the top of the hotel, we could still see the Capitol dome in the distance. Our room, which was scrupulously clean, had a small area outside the bathroom with a counter that held a coffee maker with all the fixings and a mini-refrigerator. The hotel is currently undergoing renovation, and I agree with one previous poster who said that the carpet in the elevators was looking really worn. Even though we did not stay in one of the renovated rooms, we were very happy with it. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the carpet in our room was fine. We spent some time in the the indoor pool which was very nice and has a full-time attendant.

One of the changes that Hilton made when it took over the property was to bring in Finn & Porter, a national chain, to open and run the hotel restaurant off the lobby. (At the time of our wedding, the restaurant was on the lower level of the hotel, and the space now appears to be used as a conference room.) It's primarily a surf and turf restaurant with a sushi bar, so it may not be for everyone. I've eaten their at least 20 times in the last five years, and the only time I didn't enjoy it was when the restaurant was swamped by a crowd for a convention in the building and clearly struggling to keep up. During our most recent stay, we ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was great. We did have to pay for parking on this stay. The hotel has always theoretically had pay parking, but I think that they've finally had to start enforcing it because of the construction in the rest of the office park.

I think that the last renovation of the hotel was in 2000 (we took a leap of faith that it would be done before our October 2000 wedding), so it's probably due for another one, and it looks like that's underway. They also really need to give guests free Internet services. Still, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Carol757

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

I'm sure this was quite a property in its time, but it is tired and needs a make over. The carpet was tattered in the elevators and room and I wasn't even comfortable going barefoot on the carpet. The dressers and cabinets in the room were chipped and dented. The tv was not a flat screen. The room layout and set up of the corner room was pleasant, but the whole property and rooms were crying out for a freshening. The staff was attentive, ample free shuttle services available, breakfast with cooked to order omelet was delicious and convenient location with nice area to walk/run. Free Wi-Fi for Hilton Honors and pleased that no charge assessed to print out boarding pass.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Fl_travelergville
North America
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

The hotel looks really good from the outside and the lobby area is pretty spiffy, but the room I got on 31st floor was very depressing. The color scheme was very drab - beige and green - and the furniture was old and sparse, actually my first impression was retirement home. I was not impressed and the price was high, so I was disappointed. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, a nice selection of fruit, cereals, yogurt, toast, bagels, and I believe eggs and bacon. The service in the restaurant was not bad. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was OK. We chose the cheese plate as an appetizer, which was supposed to be 3 different types of cheeses and some fruit and bread, but we got a lump of dried up parmesan ? and some brie, no fruit and 2 slices of stale bread. Sorry but not to expectations. I did not think that the front desk staff were all that friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I'm sorry thast your stay was not a more pleasant one. I am pleased to report that the renovation of all of the hotels guest rooms will be complete at the end of August - addressing all of the concerns that you raised.
We hope to have an opportunity to be of service to you again soon.
Best Regards,
Charlie Banta
LITTLE CURRENT, ONTARIO, CANADA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

For the past four years, I have attended a weeklong conference (Masonic Week) in Washington D.C. each February and stayed at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel, Alexandria, Virginia.

The Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel is a very large hotel. The rates we are charged are very reasonable and the conference facilities including the meeting rooms, halls and public areas are all first class. The entire hotel is very spacious and extremely clean. The lobby area, bar and restaurants are beautiful and the marble floors, cushioned seats and furniture are very comfortable and in great condition.

The hotel rooms are spacious, very clean; the carpeting is in excellent condition and well looked after. The washrooms are clean, well supplied and the view from the hotel room and balcony was very picturesque. Room service is available and the food provided was first rate. The beds were extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean, white and crisp. The hotel rooms did not have any smell and the heating and ventilation was very good. The furniture in the hotel rooms were always in excellent condition. The hallways are very clean as are the elevators and the entire hotel is well lit. The Internet provided to the rooms was hard wired and very fast. Wireless internet is also available in the rooms. The parking lot is three levels, very clean, well lit and easy to find your vehicle. The entire grounds were well groomed, professionally landscaped and maintained and without sore eye refuge.

Attending numerous banquets over the years at this hotel – one can only say that the tables were set up beautifully, the food was tasty and well presented, the servers were polite, courteous and truly professional. The sound system provided by the hotel for the dinner speakers were always operational and crystal clear to the listeners.

The hotel employees from the front desk staff to room service are all very friendly, helpful, and professional and always provide service with a smile. The front desk staff – Sara, Julie and Gokhan Altinbay, Front Desk Manager were just excellent. True professionalism shines and comes to the forefront by these employees. The Porters were excellent, courteous, helpful and professional. Without hesitation, I recommend the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center to all. I am positive that our event organizers will once again use this facility for their venue.

1 Thank MICHAELSCRIBE
Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

The price I paid was reasonable considering the name of the hotel I stayed at. The room I stayed in was very large and had a great view. Front desk staff were Very friendly!

For the things that bothered me about the Alexandria M.C
The parking attendant (African American Lady), had a blank expressionless lethargic look on her face everytime I had to leave or come into the parking garage. Very cold, lack of life look to her. That was not welcoming what so ever, it actually worried my girlfriend because she is not from an area such as d.c.
Our hotel room (2518 I believe), had a huge red stain on the floor that made me wonder, "why couldn't they give us a room that is flawless???" There were like 6 guest in your hotel this weekend, it seems like we could have found a better room. There wasn't a fridge in our room when we arrived so we had to call for one, not a big error, I just expected that the Hilton would have one. The fridge that we did get, came with the temperature knob inside the fridge on the shelf. I assumed that the hole in the back of the inside of the fridge was where it would go however, there was no way to adjust the temperature settings because it just kept spinning, leaving our food and drinks to slush and freeze.
The movie I paid for on the t.v I believe it was like $16.00 (including tax, Maybe an electricity tax??) I understand that this was still cheaper than getting a taxi and going to the movies however, the in room experience is not meant to compete with the theatre, its meant to provide a relaxing environment. I would have purchased 2 movies if they would have equaled $16 combined, not just one which by the way was a terrible movie. (dinner for shmucks)
Also, the Sushi house in the restaurant was great food with not so good service. After we ordered I went to the counter to have a conversation with a Japanese employee and met Richard, the guy who doesn't speak Japanese. The one man there who did was pleasant to talk to, I guess I am just growing increasingly disappointed with the sushi industry for hiring a 9-1 foreigner ratio, its almost like going for Mexican food and having a Japanese cook. Also, we had to flag down a different waitress to bring our check, because ours didn't come back even 30 minutes after she checked on us the first time.
From the high intensity torque that the elevator delivered I got motion sickness Saturday night and had to wander to the gift shop for medicine. I paid $5.00 for 10 Excedrin. I would rather pay $3.00 for 5 because I have plenty at home, and I would be at least saving a few dollars. Also, the gift shop lady had no personality or personable experience about her. Very dull and appearing to be unhappy about her job.

I understand the Hilton has to pay its bills however, maybe add the price to the alcohol or the shuttle, making a free service a minimal charge service that still beats the taxi fare.

I would like to let you know that I have been to hotels from Australia, to Thailand, Lived in Japan for 2 Years, and been all around America in hotel after hotel. I am honest when I say, I will not stay in a Hilton again. Unless it was 100 % free, I would not be willing to pay for the name and the view or the curtains and the unstocked "Robo Bar" or the 5 employees standing in the lobby carrying on their own conversations. I am not 100% unsatisfied with my stay, as it was a overall good weekend, I just felt better about being out of the hotel than I did staying inside of it.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank technine01
Salisbury, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

My father was in the hospital in the area and my family unexpectedly needed a room for several nights. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable and attractive and the rate was extremely reasonable for the quality of the hotel. It was only a mile from the hospital so the convenience couldn't be beat. The parking was a bit pricey but the valet guys were wonderful. They inquired about my father's health every time they got the car for us. Everyone went above and beyond and we really appreciated it in such a stressful time. I would love to stay at this hotel again under more pleasant circumstances. We had a beautiful view from our room on the 19th floor, we could even see the Capital and the Washington Monument. Special thanks to the woman at the front desk, I believe her name was Sandra perhaps. She was wonderful and so helpful. A big thanks to everyone at the Hilton Mark Center!

• Stayed February 2011
Plano TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

Stayed here a week while working at our local office in Alexandria. Overall the hotel was very nice and maintained well. My room was on 22nd floor (room 2208) and even had a large 10' x 15' balcony with table/chairs though the weather was too cold/snowy to enjoy it. The restaurant is very expensive for what you get so I don't recommend it unless money is no object. In the bar they have a "casual food" menu with much more reasonable prices. Just down Beauregard there are several choices of restaurants much less expensive. Plus there is small refrigerator in room and I purchased a few things at the Giant food store about 3 blocks south next to the restaurants mentioned above. The parking is $15/night and conveniently attached to hotel. They do have a free shuttle to National airport & Pentagon City but I didn't use it. The TV is older tube type but selection of channels was good. Not sure how you get to use the fitness center -- every time I tried in morning the aerobic machines were full with people waiting. So I just climbed several flights of stairs (30 floors so no shortage) instead.