“Romance and Dreams at the Lorien- Book it fast.”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Parkville, Maryland
“Romance and Dreams at the Lorien- Book it fast.”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Frankly, I didn't want to write a review because I did not want everyone in the world to know about this well kept secret hotel. We decided to stay in Old Town for the 4th of July and see the fireworks from the Pentgon area. This hotel was a last minute pick and seemed to fit what we needed in terms of location. It is very close to all of the restaurants and the waterfront of Old Town is quick walk. The hotel is absolutely, stylish, classy and comfortable. WIth its clean modern furnishings and spa bathrooms, we felt that this hotel is perfect for a romantic getaway. The courtyard is beautiful. They not only supply the free wifi but the computer as well. We enjoyed the Aveda toiletries and have visited the Aveda store to replenish of the items. The bathrobes were plush and a nice touch. The minibar was so well stocked, we couldn't dream up any items for it. There were warm socks in our minibar. I've never seen that. If you need anything at all, you simply have to press the dream button on your phone and it is yours. We were tempted to try the aromatherapy and the warm milk and cookies. Free wine tasting was available too. You can't get that at the Hampton Inn. We needed ice and pressed the dream button and I swear there was a man at our door with ice within 60 seconds. The gym and spa looked great and we were sorry that we didn't have a chance to use them. We lucked out and had free street parking. I have a feeling that the pricing will go up on this one. I advise you to book it fast. Thank you Lorien for a very dreamy, romantic weekend. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Winchester, Virginia, USA
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I am always a little reluctant to stay somewhere new, but I must admit, my wife and I were very pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Lorien! The hotel is clean, contemporary and "chic", as I have seen described, but more than anything, I think the greatest attribute is the hotel staff. They were superbly friendly.... from check-in, to conversation with the bartender at the hotel restaurant, to the valet going out of his way to help us after misplacing our valet stub. The only thing I did not like was not being informed about the $25 overnight parking fee (our friends that we stayed with were not charged). However, overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, and look forward to going there again soon!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Greetings bpdcpa!

My thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am elated to hear that we were able to surprise you with a pleasant and fulfilling stay with us. I so appreciate what you had to say about our team here at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. It is a huge focus for all of us to make sure every guest feels comfortable, welcome and that they have truly entered most warm and friendly environment. This you cannot fake and our team will ecstatic to hear that an impact was made. Great comments for us to focus on and we are most certainly looking forward to your return!

Best,

Hotel Manager
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Switched to the Lorien after checking out of an awful Hawthorn Suites in Alexandria. After spending one terrible night in that cave, I decided to switch to the Lorien late into the night. From the minute I stepped into the Lorien, I knew it was going to be a great stay. The staff at the desk was cheerful and helpful and called me by name, even though I had only talked to them once on the phone. The lobby area was sparkling clean and smelled fresh and new. Once I entered my room, I knew I had made the right decision. The room was emaculate, spotless, and smelled heavenly! The bathroom was modern and spacious and included Aveda products. My only complaint of the room is that the shower pressue was rather weak and there was no bathtub, although I'm assuming that some of the rooms probably have a bathtub if you wanted one. The bed was comfortable beyond words. The hotel has a "pillow menu" that you could get lost in! Although the room was a bit on the small side, it would be plenty comfortable for one or two people. I slept better than I had in a long time thanks to the quiet room and amazing bed. My room overlooked the courtyard which I'm sure helped keeped the room quiet. I splurged and ordered room service for dinner and breakfast, and although quite pricey, the food was delivered quickly and was very good. My only complaint was that one day I needed to go to a different hotel so I asked the front desk staff to call a cab for me. They asked if I would rather take the hotel's "car service", and I accepted thinking that this might a free service that the hotel provided. Silly me. The driver spoke very little english and charged me a whopping $25 for a trip that the night before cost $10 by taxi. Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The Kimpton chain is exceptional and I hope to stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am very pleased to hear that we could make your vacation a successful and relaxing one. We pride ourselves on ensuring only the finest of services, amenities and surroundings are present for all of our valued guests. The Lorien Hotel and Spa is truly focused on ensuring all of our guests need are met and anticipated as much as possible. Our Dream Menu and of course our Pillow Menu are just a few of the details that we focus on to ensure the highest levels of comfort are exceeded and your stay with us is a memorable one. Thank you again for the nice words and I most certainly look forward to your return!

Warm regards,

Hotel Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2010

This was my first time at a Kimpton Hotel. From the moment my husband and I arrived we were treated well. We were always greeted with smiles and everyone was friendly.

I was surprised at how luxurious his hotel was. The interior was sophisticated and modern. The rooms were decorated to create a soothing feel. There was even a computer station in the room! You could get free wi-fi if you signed up for a Kimpton account (which is free as well). They have an eco-friendly perspective and offers recycle bins in each room too. If you like Aveda products, they have those here. The fitness center was nice as well (we had all intentions to workout, but didn't). We also had every intention to participate in their nightly wine reception; however, DC was so entertaining we didn't make it back in time. The only downfall was a bit of noise from the room next door (they had active kiddos).

This hotel is only a few blocks away from the Kings Street Station. If you have a car, the valet is approximately $30 per night. Great location! Loved this hotel and I will be back!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Lorien Hotel & Spa is the best hotel in Old Town. I love Kimpton Hotels and I have stayed at all three in Alexandria, VA and all of them are great but the Lorien is my favorite. The hotel has great restaurants, excellent service and is in walking distance to the metro and Amtrak train stations. I cannot say enough about the staff, everyone is so kind and exceeds expectations. The staff remembers my name and welcomes me back and even though I am there for business it always feels like a vacation. The rooms are very cozy and quiet, each room comes with a free dream menu where you can order scents and special pillows during your stay, it is plush! Special thanks to Lee, Kelly, Heather and all the great staff that works there, you are all why people return!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I spent one night with my partner at Lorien and had an amazing experience at this hotel.

PROS:

Staff- Immediately after arriving by Metro (5 min away from the King St Metro stop), two friendly bellhops who I assume are also Valet parkers carted our luggage and led us to the front desk to check in and to our room. The front desk was also very friendly and were able to answer any questions I have in a quick manner.

Bed- King Sized bed and pillows are the most comfortable I have ever experienced! It was so easy to fall asleep on this bed. Lorien gives the option of receiving even more pillows on request but we felt that the pillows that were already in the room were more than enough. Cool white grid headboard.

Bathroom- Very sleek and modern. No tub though. Complimentary hairdryer in bathroom and curling iron per request. Aveeda bath products.

Cleanliness- Bedroom, bedsheets and bathroom seemed to be very clean.

Flat screen TV- basic cable channels with HBO. It was neat to see my name on the TV's channel menu (little stuff like that goes a long way). TV was perfectly mounted on the wall where you can comfortably watch it while laying in bed.

Complimentary Internet Access- Room included a computer for internet use and wireless internet access if you bring your own laptop.

Decor- Everything was very modern and sleek. The light sky blue color of the walls made the room feel very relaxing.

Location- Only about a 5 min walk from the King St metro. 15-20 min walk to the Potomac waterfront. Located on King St with tons of restaurants and neat local stores.

CONS:

Room size- We stayed in the King Room, which are the smallest sized rooms that Lorien has. Although a bit on the small size (just big enough to fit a King size bed, 1 nightstand, and a desk with a TV hanging on the wall), I really felt a better way to describe the room was cozy.

Noise- Overall pretty quiet room. Really just nitpicking-Not a big deal, AC system can be loud for some people but we didn't mind much at all. I didn't hear anyone next door but could hear people in the hallway.

Bathroom door- I read a lot of reviews concerning this door and I see how this can be a problem. An un-lockable sliding glass door separates the bathroom from the bedroom. The glass door itself isn't see-through. However, there is about a 2 inch airspace between the door and the wall where you can easily peek at someone taking a shower if you really tried. While taking a shower with the door closed, I was able to see my partner at the desk surfing the net through the airspace. Not a big deal for us since we were a couple but could be a problem for couples who are not too comfortable with each other yet.

Natural light- Maybe because we stayed in the smallest room but there was only 1 window in the room and we weren't able to get a lot of sunlight into our room.

We had a really good time at this hotel and look to come back soon! We didn't try the spa or the Brabo Restaurant that is next door but have also heard great things about them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Greetings Sleek, Cozy and Relaxing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. I am very pleased to hear that you found your stay with us relaxing and comfortable! We take great pride in all of the amenities you mentioned and it is very comforting to know that they are serving there intended purpose. Great feedback all the way around especially on the physical parts of the guest room you enjoyed during your time with us. I am definitely going to share these points with my team and act accordingly to ensure the highest levels of comfort are achieved for all of our guests.

Warm regards,

Front Office Manager
Lorien Hotel and Spa
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Let me start by saying I stayed at the Lorien Hotel for my wedding night in Nov. 2009. We had a great time enjoying the sunset from our beautiful Terrace Suite. They had nice comfy furniture to enjoy it from. However, this stay was quite different.
My wife and I booked a Terrace Suite. Check in is at 3pm and we showed up at 3:30pm. However when we got there, we were told our room is not ready. Because Valet already took our car, we waited around for 30-45min before our room was ready. We staying in room 615. The room was beautiful just like the last time we stayed here. There was several doors that are 'suppose' to open to the Terrace. However all the doors are broke and jammed shut. After pushing and pulling for 10min, we got one of the doors to open. After walking out to the Terrace, we discover that there is absolutely no furniture to even sit on out there. Why have a huge terrace space if you can't enjoy it? My wife called Guest Services to request some furniture for the terrace just like our last stay and they responded, 'We'll be right up'. After waiting an hour, we called again about the furniture. Again we were told they would be right up. 10min later someone shows up with 2 chairs that look like they grabbed them from the conference room. This is not what I would expect for a $370 a night Terrace Suite. It was pathetic and I posted a picture of these horrible chairs. My wife and I were so upset, we just carried some of the living room furniture out to the Terrace and enjoyed the rest of the night without there help. After hearing my complaints, the front desk called me around 10pm saying that the reason I don't have terrace furniture is because the diplomatic and presidential suite were taken and they have all the outdoor furniture. That is one sorry excuse, sounds like you just need to buy more furniture. The lady did mention that she had 2 different types of chairs at the front desk that I could look at. Are you kidding me? Its 10pm at night, I was done with there help.

Here is a summary of my stay at the Lorien Hotel in a Terrace Suite
Pros:
- Nice comfy beds and sheets
- Great double head walk-in shower.
- Guest Services tried to help me when I complained...kind of
- Free wireless Internet....but its unsecure.
- Nice Tv's and computer in the room.

Cons:
- No furniture on the outdoor Terrace Suite rooms, and don't worry about asking for any.
- The doors to the Terrace are all broke and jammed shut.
- Wireless internet is unsecure - Its too easy these days to steal all your information. I don't recommend doing any business or banking from the hotel internet.
- Expensive
- $25 Valet Parking
- Book your spa appointments several days ahead of time. My wife called to get a manicure or pedicure and they said you have to book days ahead to get in. If you just walk down King Street, you can find several places that are cheaper and more accommodating for a manicure or pedicure.

All and all this is a really nice hotel. The small things are what makes a good hotel a great hotel and the Lorien Hotel needs a little bit of work. I don't think I'll be coming back anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eaglecbr
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Dear eaglecbr,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent visit. I am personally looking into the issues you brought to our attention. I can also confirm that you were correct and we do need to purchase more furniture and will quickly. I hope you will consider us again next year on your anniversary and we will assure you a great visit.