“Absolutely spectacular. Great staff and facility.”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This is the second time that I have stayed in this hotel. I am a frequent travelor to D.C. and was tired of the mega-hotels. The Lorien provides an escape. It is a very short walk to the King St Metro Station which makes it perfect for condicting business in the city without having to stay in the city.

Everything about the hotel is excellent. From the free internet to the fitness center, this hotel has it all. And, do not forget to try the mussels and bread in the Tasting Room.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Mick2009

Reviewed May 26, 2009

We went to Alexandria to visit Mount Vernon and stayed at the Lorien. The hotel is new and the staff did everything in their power to make it pleasant. We had a street view with large windows that allowed a lot of light in the room. The linens were lovely and the TV was state of the art. Downfalls were minor, but included $25 per night fee to park the car, ice must be delivered, no pool and no bath tub. If tipping isn't your thing, stay elsewhere. Also, it's a little far from the historic district.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

I just returned from a Memorial day trip where we stayed at the Lorien and couldn't have been more pleased.

This was the first flight and long weekend away with our 2 and 4 year old. Our flight out was delayed and by the time we got to the hotel, it was quite late. When we checked in, our room upgrade had hit a snag because of availability. However, the manager Marc had taken care of everything prior to our arrival. Instead of having to wait in the lobby with 2 tired children, the staff got us into our new rooms quickly as everything had been setup prior to our arrival.

The rooms are well appointed and very tastefully done. My wife thought that the bedding was the most comfortable she had ever slept on and the bathrooms were spacious and bright.

Every staff member we encountered, no matter what their role, was friendly and helpful.

The location is not in the center of Old Town shopping but the free trolley brings you there in just few minutes. We also liked that it was only a short walk to the metro, so it was easy to get to DC and the museums and monuments.

Overall an excellent experience and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I have stayed at the Lorien 4 times now and already have a reservation for my next visit. The staff is very friendly and some even remember my name now which is really nice when you are a frequent business traveller. The Tasting Room and Brabo are both wonderful and the staff was very friendly. I have also had the chance to enjoy the wonderful spa which was top notch. I have stayed at many hotels in DC and truly enjoy the peaceful, elegant atmosphere at the Lorien.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Hello Jennilo,

Wow you have already stayed 4 times now! You are fast becoming one of our most frequent guests! Thank you for coming back to us we really appreciate it! It seems the hotel and staff have made quite a favorable impression on you. I am truly happy to hear that. Thank you for coming back to us and we’ll see you again soon!

Reviewed May 17, 2009

This hotel is on busy King Street, but the front courtyard creates a quiet and tranquil space - you would not know you were in a busy area from inside the hotel. Our room was small, but did not feel cramped. The appointments were elegant, and the bathroom carried through with the quietly elegant style. The on-site restaurants and the spa were all top rate; each worthy of seeking out apart from the hotel. To have them as a part of the experience seemed too good to be true. Staff were genuinely friendly and accomodating. What a delight to talk with these intelligent, personable individuals. The onsite parking is a boon in this busy part of town. The location is charming, and close to the Metro as well as to Old Town. While the heart of the Old Town district is easily walkable (10 blocks or so), the hotel is located close to more elegant and "non-tourist" focused shops. I liked best the easy comfort of the hotel space and amenities - the only downside was needing to leave! This is the experience I hope for when I choose a top drawer hotel. Bravo!

Hello Dixie01,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Alexandria. I am glad you liked the courtyard in the front of the hotel. It is a nice space to get away from the hustle and bustle of King Street. I am glad that the staff made a good impression on you. I know that everyone will be pleased to hear that. Thanks again for staying and please come back top us again soon!

Reviewed May 14, 2009

This is a lovely hotel in a great location - close to Metro and lovely Alexandria The rooms are very nicely laid out but the staff is still in training - the maid service missed picking up glasses all four days and the resturant was not in sync with basic services - frequent reminders for warer, coffee without creamn or sugar. The spa is very lovely with a nice variety of services but the gym you particulary need a flashlight to see equipment.

Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Kimpton Hotel Group has the knack for creating fun, warm, inviting and relaxing spaces for travelers and guests. When I read that the Lorien Hotel & Spa was opening I wanted to go there right away, based on my experiences with other Kimpton properties, like Hotel Monaco. My sister and I enjoyed ourselves and took advantage of a great spa and relaxing rooms. It was fun to get away for the weekend with little effort but great benefit. Don't forget to try the Champagne tastes at the Brabo Tasting room with the tapas-style appetizer! Alittle bit of luxury for a good price!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Hello MyLorien

Thank you for recognizing that Kimpton works hard to create fun, warm, inviting, and relaxing hotels for our guests to enjoy. I am glad that you were able to visit the Lorien Hotel & Spa during your recent trip to the area. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!