“Enjoy the Lorien for rest, relaxation and a bit of pampering!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Kimpton Hotel Group has the knack for creating fun, warm, inviting and relaxing spaces for travelers and guests. When I read that the Lorien Hotel & Spa was opening I wanted to go there right away, based on my experiences with other Kimpton properties, like Hotel Monaco. My sister and I enjoyed ourselves and took advantage of a great spa and relaxing rooms. It was fun to get away for the weekend with little effort but great benefit. Don't forget to try the Champagne tastes at the Brabo Tasting room with the tapas-style appetizer! Alittle bit of luxury for a good price!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Hello MyLorien

Thank you for recognizing that Kimpton works hard to create fun, warm, inviting, and relaxing hotels for our guests to enjoy. I am glad that you were able to visit the Lorien Hotel & Spa during your recent trip to the area. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed at the Lorien recently, taking advantage of both restaurants (we’ve done a separate review for those) and the spa. The hotel staff was professional, friendly and on top of things—they’re clearly well-trained and empowered to do whatever they can to make their guests welcome and comfortable. The room was small but ample, well-appointed, clean and very nice. The bathroom door, as at least one other reviewer has noted, is a little strange. It’s frosted glass on a track, so there’s a small gap at the end when it’s closed. If you’re shy, that might be uncomfortable. The décor for the whole place is sleek, minimalist and modern, which suits our style, but might not be for everyone. The fitness center is more of a cardio room, with 2 bikes, 2 stairclimbers and 3 treadmills, but only a few dumbbells and an all-in-one machine that had some tangled cables and a few missing pieces. It looks like they might still be trying to figure out the best way to use that space. The spa had unfortunately overbooked during the time of my wife’s appointment, but they did what they could to make it right. Again, they might still be working out a few kinks there. Overall, a great place with a terrific staff, a very good location and an attractive, relaxing vibe.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2009

Hello Thad,

I am glad that you chose to stay with us during your recent trip to Alexandria. Thank you for trying out all our facilities including the restaurants and spa. We are doing our best to get the hotel up and running and your comments will be valuable to use in achieving this endeavor. Thank you for staying and please come again soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2009

Because we often travel with our dog, we are frequent Kimpton guests and the Lorien might be our new favorite hotel in the Kimpton family!

First of all, the location is ideal - one block from the metro and "high" enough on King Street that there is always street parking (this isn't always the case down at the Monaco, another Kimpton on the same street). Save yourself the $25 valet charge by feeding a meter and then getting a 24 hour parking pass at the visitor's center, which is about half way down King Street (know your car's plate number to get the pass).

The hotel is behind the main row of stores, so it's quiet and peaceful. The decor is lovely! Cool, soothing blue and white on the walls and furniture meets clean, sleek slate and brick flooring. The staff was attentive and friendly, though the curbside staff isn't quiet as outgoing as the guys at the Dupont Circle Palomar (sorry...they seem to hire dog lovers there and they charm us every time).

The room we got was a tad small, but beautifully decorated. I loved the modern, glass doors to the bathroom and shower with barn-like tracks at the top (see my pictures). The only drawbacks where that those doors don't completely close...so you better know your roommate quite well! In addition, there weren't too, too many outlets around the room. There were two built into the desk and two more elsewhere on the wall. All the rest were taken. A nice extra: the room had a computer in it and internet access was free.

We ate at both hotel restaurants and were extraordinarily pleased with both experiences. The Tasting Room had the same modern country decor as the rest of the hotel (vintage meets modern...wonderful) and the food was simple and perfectly cooked. Our waitress was absolutely fantastic. At the more formal Brabo, we sat the bar and decided the bartender there was the best we had ever seen (this is big, considering my boyfriend is the restaurant/bar industry). The bartender was so enthusiastic about the menu, we had a hard time picking our food. My boyfriend had roasted pork and I had some veggie sides. The bartender joked that the pork could be eaten with a spoon and sure enough, it was so tender, it just fell off the bone. It's hard to pick which meal was better. I was tempted to go back to The Tasting Room for lunch the second day!

I was in town for work and my boyfriend came with me. We didn't have time to try out the spa, but I'd love to return for that!

I have to address the dog friendly nature of all Kimpton hotels. We adore staying at them because our golden retriever, Baxter, is treated like a valued guest, not like a burden. The front desk has treats and a cute pet policy written from the dog's perspective. A dog bed was offered, but was never sent to the room, but that's not a huge deal to us. Baxter's find with curling up on the floor and we spread a blanket on the bed to protect it from Baxter's paws, in case he jumped up there (sad to say, the beautiful linens were already showing some wear from previous guests).

We will return...the local is perfect, the staff was friendly, and the hotel is a gem. We are spoiled to have so many wonderful Kimpton hotels in DC!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OnceMoreIBeatSunrise
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2009

Hello JeanninePC99,

Great to hear we maybe your new favorite Kimpton Hotel! Thanks for the compliment. We do have a good location close to the metro and right on King Street with all the hustle-and-bustle of Old Town. Looks like we have some healthy competition with one of our sister properties. We welcome the challenge! I am glad that Baxter was as welcomed as you were. It seems you hit the nail on the head with our pet policy. No more need be said. Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest and please come back and join us again soon!

Reviewed May 4, 2009

The hotels location could not be more perfect. Very short walk to the Metro and quickly you are in the excitement of the city. It is also alot of fun to just spend the day in Old Towne Alexandria just shopping and exploring.. The service was supurb. The food at the attached resturant was nothing less than elegant, for a reasonable price.One of the best parts is the bed and pillows !!! The only problem was that the lighting is VERY poor for reading. I know most of the hotels are this way now for "green" reasons. I can not wait to go back. ASAP

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I stayed at the Lorien Hotel to destress from the 2008 tax season. From the moment we walked thought the beautiful courtyard and through the doors I knew it was going to be an incredible experience.
We walked in and were greeted by very friendly and professional staff complete with spy style hidden walky talkies to make sure every department in the hotel was ready to do whatever was needed for the customer.
The decor was a mix of contemporary elegance with a splash of cool. From the white books to the nice stone veranda with fire pits; the place looks exquisite!
One has two dining options at the hotel. You can eat at the restaurant called Brabo or go over to the Brabo tasting room. We had some wine and hors-d'oeuvres at the tasting room the night we arrived and it was great. Nice wine selection and an interesting assortment of items to make your palette happy. We never had dinner at Brabo but did go for dessert and brunch. Dessert was delicious, the TROIS POTS de Creme were fantastic, so were the cordials. Brunch was just as good! Tasty mimosas with fresh eggs, the best hash browns I have had and some tasty sausage.
I am definitely coming back here whenever I have the chance. The people were super friendly and tried to help me with all the questions I had regarding the local area, getting into DC via the metro or cab, and other general questions.
If you are looking to stay here, try it, you can and will not be dissapointed.

~HHB

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I love the room decor; would copy it for a guest room in my own home. Location in Old Town is convenient to everything. Easy walking distance or pick up the free trolley on the corner. Brabo Tasting Room is fantastic. Chocolate waffle delivered to room with hand written note was nice touch. Everything was clean and new. Would definately recommend to my pickiest friends and family!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends

Good Day Fitz6,

Thanks for staying with us during your recent trip to the city. The chocolate waffle and hand written note is a signature welcome amenity that we feel embodies the hotel well. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation to your friends and family. Please do come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2009

I stayed during the hotel's special opening and the rates were great for the room and spa services. Didn't eat in the hotel because there are so many fabulous restaurants in the area. Was a great get away place in Old Town Alexandria. Rooms are beautiful and everyone was very friendly. Not at all arrogant... Parking not included in rate and nowhere to park-use valet.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo

Hello BarbaraBetty,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback for our guests. This is a great way to have input on how we’re doing and allows us to improve our services. Thanks for posting, keep it up! And please don’t forget to come back again and stay with us again soon.