WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nutley, New Jersey
“Highly recommend ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

I was a bit concerned when we arrived and there wasn't a valet but in fact they were there and being attentive to arriving guests. Rooms are spacious and clean. We asked for a second bathrobe and it was delivered in 5 minutes max along with our luggage. As far as the curtain for a bathroom door it's a temporary fix to replace doors and only a couple of rooms remain and they are not booking those if they don't have to. Happy hour at 5 with free wine and a fabulous courtyard was nice and the tasting room has amazing mussels. We went twice. We had room 229 which is a corner room overlooking the courtyard and king street. It was very nice. People can be a bit chatty in the morning when departing but that wasn't an issue until after 9 am and I was up. Even with two wedding parties the night before it was quiet. Staff is very professional but chatty and fun. It is away from the hustle and bustle of King Street but we liked that and the trolley departs every 15 minutes. I highly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hello lcrunk,

I truly appreciate your important feedback and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

My husband and I were moving to Florida from CT with our two kitties. We never travelled with them before and were unsure of the accommodations we would find in a "pet friendly" hotel. The Lorien Hotel and Spa was more than a pleasant surprise, it is a true gem. High quality all around and their staff was top notch, all the way to really caring that our kitties were well settled in. The bellman helped us with two loads on carts and was sure to check if there was anything we needed. Our midnight snack of cheese and meat platters was exceptional. We would definitely stay here again and look forward to other Kimpton hotels when we travel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Dear Joanne T,

Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent trip to Old Town Alexandria and thank you for your great review. I’m thrilled to read that you and your two kitties were well cared for. I hope you are settling in well in Florida but please don’t forget about your new friends at the Lorien.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

I walked in the courtyard and into the lobby and I thought I was in heaven. It was so charming! Then I get to my room and it was so nice at first. Nice modern bathroom with concrete countertops. I get ready for bed and crawl on the covers and something isnt right. The bed smells like urine. At first I thought it was some kind of weird detergent smell. But nothing else on the bed smelled like urine. It had to be on the mattress. It got on my pajamas. Luckily when I called guest services he asked me if I wanted to switch rooms. You'd think it would have come out of his mouth as a statement like "we will move you immediately." Of course I want a new room. I don't was to sleep on pee. I should have asked them to launder my PJs. My new room was fine but when I opened the blinds in the morning I could see the dinginess. The bed skirt was very dirty, the walls were dirty. How do holes get poked in the wall? The new bed was comfortable but I'm not sure I will stay here again. I hope they got rid of the urine mattress.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Sylvia205
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Sylvia205,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to talk to me earlier today.
I have to admit that I was very surprised about your comment as we have a detailed inspection process in place and over 850 travelers gave us an average rating of five out of five stars for the cleanliness of our hotel.
Please rest ensued that I will investigate what happened and that that any issue that we might find will be addressed immediately.
I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Respectfully,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed at the Lorien Hotel as the end-point to an 11 day cycle tour on the GAP and C and O towpath trails from Pittsburgh. The room and facilities are typical for the Kimpton chain, with a sense of interesting design that is unique to each property. Like other Kimptons we have stayed in, the bathrooms are very high end. The generous walk-in shower is a welcome feature and very rare in the typical chain hotel. The building itself is older, but attentively renovated and modified to meet the standard of a high end boutique hotel. The room itself was a good size and very comfortable.

The hotel staff were very attentive, personable, and focussed on finding a way to meet the client's needs. For us, this meant keeping our bicycles in the baggage storage, and happily providing a valet-like retrieval when we needed them for our day trips. We have noted that the Kimpton chain is very bike friendly in general, and I would encourage the management to promote this feature more prominently alongside being pet friendly and gay and lesbian friendly.

Desk staff are very helpful, and happily find ways to be of assistance for questions or problems that are not covered in standard operating procedures. This makes a huge difference in our experience.

The location is very good for enjoying the scene in old Alexandria, as well having easy access to the metro for transportation to the museums and monuments of DC.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear RickyRickardo,

Thank you very much for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa during your impressive cycling tour through the country. It was great to meet you during your stay and I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us.
Please come back to see us again soon.

Yours,

Marietta, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

From the Valet parking to our late breakfast at Brabo Tasting Room, everything was first class! It helped to be a Kimpton member and knowing the secret word from their FB page.
Curly and Justin were so helpful and pleasant !!
The best surprise happened when we arrived at The Chart House for dinner, Justin had arranged for our menus be personalized and our free signature dessert!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary lisab1054!

I’m thrilled that Curly, Justin and the rest of our team were able to make your celebration extra special. Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa and please come back to see us again soon.

Respectfully,

Manhattan, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and it was really wonderful - the staff is very sweet and accommodating! They really make you feel genuinely welcomed. It was great coming back from a day of sightseeing to a glass of wine, and it was nice having coffee available in the morning as well. Good location, 5 min walk from Metro, and close to sips and restaurants. We had a great corner room that was very clean on the 5th floor. Definitely sign up to be a reward member, you get free wifi. Only bummer was no jacuzzi or pool. We got a pretty decent rate because we booked through the hotels website and prepaid far in advance. Compared to other rates with similar amenities - this was a really great deal - We would definitely return :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Dear Casey G,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel was a great value. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Lorien is another one of our favorite Kimpton Hotels. The company and management clearly put an emphasis on hiring and training people who know the value of exceptional service. In the end, a comfortable pillow and mattress is nice too! I'm sure the Hampton In looks like every other Hampton Inn, but doesn't that get boring?

We were greeted again by Brandon Brown who remembered us from a previous visit. He was very courteous and accommodating, like everyone we encountered at the hotel so far. It truly is a team of professionals working together to provide the service that keeps us coming back! I realized I left my Metro Smartcard at home and he gave me one of his that he claimed was "extra". There is no thing as extra, as in extra money. So I appreciated the thoughtfulness to not give a second thought to helping a stranger. He'll get the card back for sure with a few extra dollars on it too! The location is an easy walk to the Metro making it pretty easy to get into DC, and the Nationals ball park.

The food and drink options are great here with three restaurants offering wonderful menus and two bars for drinks. Its hard to make ourselves leave for anything but we are in Olde Towne and everything is a close walk especially the Metro.

Room Tip: If you can, get a veranda suite if you are there with a group, that is a great room!