“Great restaurant , super friendly staff”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brisbane, Australia
“Great restaurant , super friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Kimpton Hotels have a kind of fun quality and the staff are welcoming and informal and really make you feel comfortable. This was no exception. This hotel has very comfortable rooms, good room service and a truly exceptional restaurant. The location is central and a short stroll from the historic centre do Alexandria. The fitness center is small but well equipped. Overall is was an enjoyable stay and I can recommend it as a solid hotel, with engaging staff and a quality restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear airblogger,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for saying with us and for taking the time to write this review. Getting positive feedback means a lot to us especially when it comes from a road worrier such as you. It is great to hear that you found our staff to be engaging and that you enjoyed our central location and out indeed exceptional restaurant. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was stuck in the area because of the winter storm and was able to get an early check-in, a late checkout, and an additional night stay.

The staff is friendly and very helpful, (Shout out to Miss Maryland). The location is awesome. The hotel is about a 5-minute walk to/from the King Street Metro station which you can take to DCA or into DC and Maryland. For about $20 and 20-minutes a taxi will also take you to DCA.

There are several bars, delis, and restaurants in the surrounding area. If you don't want to brave the snow and cold and you are feeling a little hungry the hotel has two restaurants attached to it. Now if you just don't want to get out of your PJs, other options include 24-hour room service and local delivery.

A nice touch and way to end a busy day, just off of the lobby the hotel hosts a daily happy hour for their guests with light snacks. The atmosphere is as cozy and inviting as sitting in a living room with friends.

I can't say enough about the hotel, the staff and the experience.

Try it. Happy Travels!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hello My-own-little-world,

I’m sorry to hear that you got stuck due to the winter storm but I’m glad that our team helped you to make the best out of it.
We really appreciate your awesome feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Get walls so I can't hear other rooms, get parking that doesn't cost $30 per night, get more that one chair and one bedside table per room, get employees welcoming guests that do not smoke. Many restaurants within walking distance. They do have complimentary wine (limited selection) 5:00-6:00 pm off the very small lobby area. When we were there it was completely filled with wedding party guests.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Simonzo8723
Dear Simonzo8723,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your important feedback! I’m disappointed that you recent experience with us did not meet your expectations.
It is very rare that we are getting comments about noise coming from other rooms and I like to apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. I have to admit that I’m a little bit confused about your comment about “getting employees welcoming guests that do not smoke” and I would like to get the opportunity to learn more about this. I would appreciate if you could contact me at tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com to discuss your experience in more detail.

Santa Cruz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I frequently travel to the DC area on business, and as a woman traveling alone am especially interested in safety, convenience and comfort. Extraordinarily professional and welcoming. Great dining options on site. Additional dining/shopping options within walking distance. Metro stop just a few blocks away. Small but well-appointed gym on site. Easy cab ride from DCA. Alexandria is such a charming area, and the Lorien fits into the neighborhood so well. I dread the day when I try to book there and there are no rooms available...

Room Tip: I've stayed here at least 5 times, and haven't had a bad room yet!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Katherinejs
Dear Katherinejs,

Thank you for the great review and for your loyalty! Please feel free to reach out to me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

The Lorien Hotel was a wonderful getaway destination. Nestled near old town Alexandria, Virginia, it was the perfect location for both intimate privacy and easy access into the greater Washington, DC, area. Being so near a Metro station and Reagan National Airport were the initial attractions to me, but upon arrival I quickly found it's charm and Kimpton amenities very pleasing. The associated restaurants (Brabo and the Brabo Tasting Room) were excellent. And the quiet library lobby was very appealing. Being on King Street in Alexandria, it was easy for me to explore by foot the sites and shops in that interesting historic city. I would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.
I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and that you had the chance to explore our great restaurants. It is great to hear that you took full advantage of our convenient location in the heart of Old Town Alexandria.

Please come back to see us again soon,

San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

The people who work at the Lorien, especially Chase, are respectful, professional, helpful and especially courteous. Need I really say more?! I appreciate their efforts in assisting whenever I am in need.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello Jaye K,

You really don’t need to say more! Thank you for your kind words. I’m fortunate to lead a team that truly cares about our guests. I’m glad that all of them and in particular Chase, the newest addition to our team, took such good care of you.

Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here this past week-end for the first time. I can say we were impressed and it wont be the last. Even before arriving I was impressed with the customer service. My rate decreased by $40 a night, I called reservations. They matched the new rate without any issues. Upon arrival check in was easy, and professional. Valet was a breeze. Highly recommend. Parking is a bit tough in this area. The room as was comfy. We had a room overlooking the courtyard. The noise level was not issue at all. Be sure to take the time to enjoy the outdoor fire pit with a glass of wine during the FREE Cocktail Hour!!!. I loved the late check-out at 12. Next time we will bring our Boxer. Saw lots of furry friends hanging around the hotel. Very dog friendly, no matter the size!!!.

Room Tip: Be sure to plan ahead on parking if you're not going to take advantage of the Valet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Happy Birthday amlewis21601 ,

We truly appreciate that you picked us to celebrate your birthday and that you took the time to share your experience with other travelers.
We are looking forward to welcome you and your Boxer back.
I promise you that we will take very good care of all of you.