“Weekend in Old Town”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed 4 days, during the Scottish Christmas weekend.
The staff was very helpful and friendly during our entire stay. Great service from everyone, starting with the valet service when we arrived.
The hotel is extremely clean and well maintained. Our room was a bit on the small size, but comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and we like the large shower, I was NOT a fan of the frosted glass barn-style door for the bathroom, for me it seemed to be a privacy issue. Although I thought it was a great look for a more appropriate room.
We enjoyed the special touches in the room, such as the bathrobes and even an umbrella for our use, which got a lot of use that weekend.
The location was perfect, just 2 blocks from the Metro station, and on the quieter end of King Street. Old Town is very walkable, so many great boutique shops and restaurants, when needed, a free trolley runs the length of King St.
Being so close to the Metro made it very easy for our day trips into DC.
I really enjoyed the night time view from our room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Hi Elizabeth P,

I was pleased to note you found our hotel very well maintained, and found your guest room to be very comfortable, with little touches like the robes and umbrella. I am sorry the modern element of the frosted bathroom door was not to your liking. I am glad you found our location, just two blocks from the Metro station, convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here for the Scottish Christmas weekend. The hotel was very nice and clean - you walk through a beautiful brick courtyard to get to the hotel itself, which was a very welcoming entrance. Check-in was fast and efficient, and all staff was very helpful and friendly during our entire stay. We had a smaller hotel room than most others in the hotel, which was fine as we booked the hotel using a TravelZoo voucher. The room was clean and very nice, however, the decor was much simpler than other Kimpton hotels I have stayed at - it felt more like a typical hotel room than most others in the brand. Although it was too cold to enjoy the weekend we were there, we had a balcony that overlooked the courtyard which was a nice touch.

The location was good as it was just a block from the Metro and train station, and right on King Street, with tons of restaurants and shops nearby. We enjoyed breakfast each morning from a cafe across the street each morning, which was very convenient. However, the Monaco and Morris House Kimptons are more centrally located than the Lorien.

Overall, our stay was very nice, however, I would probably try a different hotel the next time I go to Alexandria.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hi Traveler129212,

I am glad you found our hotel and staff to be very welcoming, and that you liked the balcony feature of your guest room. Wish we could control the weather, but we have our limitations. We are certainly very close to the Metro, and there are an abundance of restaurants and shops nearby.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Can not believe this hotel was rated so highly and For a Kimpton, the Lorien is subpar we booked a king suite which had a large sitting room, very large bathroom but no drawers in bedrooms only closet is in the sitting room. Ugly carpeting and decor and the hotel elevator smelled of sewage, smell of room fresheners on guest floors to mask smell. Will return next year for the Scottish Christmas walk but will never stay at this Kimpton hotel again..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hello Dkmclei,

Please accept my apologies for the unique design of our large suites not always including a closet in the bedroom. I am sorry our modern décor did not suit your taste, and that there was an isolated situation of an odor in the elevator; which has since been corrected. I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and hope one of our area hotels will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had grabbed a Travelzoo deal intending to relax at the spa and shop/dine in Old Town for a girl's weekend. The hotel is on the main drag, so it's easy to get around on foot. It's only a couple blocks from the metro or a short ride from DC. My cab back to DC cost me 25$.

The room was a good size - we had the room with 2 doubles - and the bathroom was spacious. Very clean.

The spa was small, but offered the services one would want at a spa. The relaxation room is co-ed and caps out at 8 people. Will gave a great massage. My only complaint is that the steam room had a mildew odor, which made it less enjoyable.

We really enjoyed the Brabo tasting room, which is affiliated with the hotel and located right next door. It's low key and the food we ordered was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Ellen28,

I am glad you found all that you needed at the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your girl’s weekend. Our location is certainly ideal amongst the hustle and bustle of King St., and right near the Metro stop. I am sorry about the steam room in the spa; we will certainly have that checked out.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with easy access to fine dining. Wine bar was fabulous! Took my sisters dog with me as he was flying to Hawaii. He got red carpet treatment at no added cost to me. Highly recommend this hotel :). Close to fun shops for interesting shopping. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Kimberly M
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hello Kimberly M,

I am glad you enjoyed the excellent and friendly service provided by our staff, as well as to your sister’s dog. Our location on King Street certainly gives you excellent access to all the great boutique shops and restaurants.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nice weekend stay. Staff was friendly and helpful. We brought our bikes from home and they were more than welcome to stop everything in the morning to escort us to the garage. Room was nice, no real view. We missed both happy hours. Only thing really confusing to us out of towners was arrival on Friday night. We arrived on the opposite side of the street and there is nowhere to pull in, only curb service. We had to drive around about 10 minutes to arrive on the same side of the street as the hotel. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear hmgmba,

I am glad you enjoyed your weekend stay with us, and found it convenient to retrieve your bikes when needed. I am sorry your arrival experience wasn’t what both of us would have liked. For your next visit, please know our valet staff is always happy to accept your vehicle and assist you with your luggage from across the street.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice little spa in the hotel. My husband and I both received Swedish massages and scalp massages. Mine was really nice. My husband was in pain the next day because his masseuse did more of a deep tissue massage which is not what he wanted, but he also didn't say anything to her. Overall it was a nice experience.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hello Marina M,

I am sorry your husband’s spa experience did not align with the description of the treatment he selected. I have shared your feedback with our Spa Director. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Cordially,