“Great service and great food.”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a business trip. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was modern and comfortable. The food (dinner and breakfast) at the restaurant was creative and tasty - try the pistachio dessert waffle!

• Stayed: September 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Hello AR987,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us for your recent business trip. I am pleased you enjoyed the design of the hotel and had pleasant interactions with our friendly staff. I am glad you enjoyed your dining experiences in our BRABO restaurant.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful property. Very friendly staff. Incredible pricing relative to competitors. These are the main reasons one would stay at the Lorien. The minimalist, chic, elegant decore is sheathed under a traditional brick façade. It is so nondescript on the street side, that one can easily miss it amongst the wonderful shops of Oldtown Alexandria. Rooms are on the smallish side, and do not include coffeemakers for early risers. I wish that there were coffeemakers, or room service available before 7 AM, as some of us do work for a living. Valet service is excellent, and attentive. The front desk is friendly, however they do not always follow through on guest requests, causing one to have to submit a single request multiple times. All in all, more than worth the price

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi Jim S,

I am glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel, our friendly staff and your favorable room rate. For your next visit, please know that we do have coffee makers available upon request. I am sorry our Front Desk staff was not consistent with their follow up in regards to your requests. Your feedback is being shared with our team.

Thank you and we hope to welcome you back someday,

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very nice hotel right in downtown Alexandria, walking distance to everything. Rooms are clean and bright, staff was super friendly, and beds were comfortable. Also... allows dogs! Actually, it doesn't just allow them, it will really take care of them if you want. I think this is awesome, but for people who don't like dogs, it turns out it's not a big deal, because they have these special collars that zap noisy dogs and to bring your dog you have to sign a waiver permitting the hotel to go in your room and put the collar on your noisy dog. Everybody wins.

I'm giving it 4-stars but it's among the best of them. I really enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Hello bodunky,

I am pleased you enjoyed our location, staff and your clean and comfortable room. We are certainly pet friendly, and we actually make “PetSafe” devices available to pet owners, if their dogs bark a lot. We do not provide any type of shock collar.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I usually love small boutique hotels and the Kimpton ones are very nice. The air-conditioning/heating system both in the room and the hall were extremely noisy (and I live in NYC so believe me, it was noisy!), and when I complained about it at checkout, the desk had no response. The desk person also did not know how to get to an address that was literally two blocks away. The room had a bit of a musty smell and was small and drab. The hotel is well located and easy to get to, but there are so many other choices in Alexandria that travelers should skip over this hotel.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Hello Imabroadwaybaby,

I am sorry the air conditioning system was noisy and disturbed you, and that our Front Desk staff did not acknowledge your feedback and attempt to make amends. Thank you for your feedback about our agent’s opportunity relative to knowledge of the local area. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel’s location and that it was easy to navigate to.

Cordially,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Only stayed one night but was very impressed with this hotel. We were on the sixth floor and the room was excellent with a small balcony with a pleasant view over the old town, BUT, this is a review and I have to point out a couple of things which were a bit disappointing, firstly the air conditioning was overly noisey to the point that we had to turn the volume on the TV up quite loud to compensate and secondly, our room was next to the lift and wether it was that or a generator somewhere I don't know but there was a constant loud humming noise which kept my wife awake for some time during the night. On a more positive note we thoroughly enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the Brabo restaurant and overall enjoyed our stay and would love to return some day.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hello pipman55,

I was pleased to note you and your wife enjoyed the balcony off of your 6th floor guest room, as well as the wonderful view of Old Town. I am sorry the air conditioning unit was a little loud and that you were disturbed by a mechanical sound. Breakfast at BRABO is certainly a great way to start off your day.

We look forward to your return,

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel and stayed for one evening. The service was friendly and helpful and I enjoyed all of the Kimpton perks: wine hour, free wifi and a $10 raid the mini bar credit.

The hotel fit right in with the surrounding neighborhood: quiet, quaint and charming. The bed was comfy and the room was nicely appointed with many outlets for charging. One negative was that the walls were thin and I could hear my neighbor coughing. Another was that it was hard to regulate the temperature in the room.

The positives of the stay exceeded the negatives and I would stay here again if I was in the area. I would not consider the area a destination, only because I think I experienced the bulk of it while there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi J and M M,

I am glad you enjoyed the quaint setting of the hotel just off King Street, as well as the comfortable room accommodations. I am sorry about the room disturbance and that you experienced issues with adjusting the room temperature.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I reserved the room at a last- minute rate and upgraded to a suite, which was small but plenty of room for one night. The room was well-decorated if a bit bland and could have used an overhead light in the sitting room. The bed was very comfy and the sheets fantastic. The bathroom was huge and nice. I gave cleanliness 4 out of 5 because there was mold at the base of the shower door, but otherwise it was clean.
Check-in and out we're fast and friendly but somehow felt a bit impersonal. Overall, it's a nice property, although not one of Kimpton's more exciting or funky ones. (I can't speak for the spa as we didn't see it.)

• Stayed: October 2012

Hello Wendelfarb,

I am glad you enjoyed the comfortable bedding in your suite and found the bathroom to be large. I am sorry about the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, and that the sleek modern décor of the room left it a little lacking for your taste. I guess our check-in and check-out experiences were a little too efficient and didn’t lead to more personalized interactions. I have reviewed your feedback with our team.

We hope to welcome you back soon,