“Noisy and drab” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Noisy and drab”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I usually love small boutique hotels and the Kimpton ones are very nice. The air-conditioning/heating system both in the room and the hall were extremely noisy (and I live in NYC so believe me, it was noisy!), and when I complained about it at checkout, the desk had no response. The desk person also did not know how to get to an address that was literally two blocks away. The room had a bit of a musty smell and was small and drab. The hotel is well located and easy to get to, but there are so many other choices in Alexandria that travelers should skip over this hotel.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hello Imabroadwaybaby,

I am sorry the air conditioning system was noisy and disturbed you, and that our Front Desk staff did not acknowledge your feedback and attempt to make amends. Thank you for your feedback about our agent’s opportunity relative to knowledge of the local area. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel’s location and that it was easy to navigate to.

Cordially,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Only stayed one night but was very impressed with this hotel. We were on the sixth floor and the room was excellent with a small balcony with a pleasant view over the old town, BUT, this is a review and I have to point out a couple of things which were a bit disappointing, firstly the air conditioning was overly noisey to the point that we had to turn the volume on the TV up quite loud to compensate and secondly, our room was next to the lift and wether it was that or a generator somewhere I don't know but there was a constant loud humming noise which kept my wife awake for some time during the night. On a more positive note we thoroughly enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the Brabo restaurant and overall enjoyed our stay and would love to return some day.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello pipman55,

I was pleased to note you and your wife enjoyed the balcony off of your 6th floor guest room, as well as the wonderful view of Old Town. I am sorry the air conditioning unit was a little loud and that you were disturbed by a mechanical sound. Breakfast at BRABO is certainly a great way to start off your day.

We look forward to your return,

West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel and stayed for one evening. The service was friendly and helpful and I enjoyed all of the Kimpton perks: wine hour, free wifi and a $10 raid the mini bar credit.

The hotel fit right in with the surrounding neighborhood: quiet, quaint and charming. The bed was comfy and the room was nicely appointed with many outlets for charging. One negative was that the walls were thin and I could hear my neighbor coughing. Another was that it was hard to regulate the temperature in the room.

The positives of the stay exceeded the negatives and I would stay here again if I was in the area. I would not consider the area a destination, only because I think I experienced the bulk of it while there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi J and M M,

I am glad you enjoyed the quaint setting of the hotel just off King Street, as well as the comfortable room accommodations. I am sorry about the room disturbance and that you experienced issues with adjusting the room temperature.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I reserved the room at a last- minute rate and upgraded to a suite, which was small but plenty of room for one night. The room was well-decorated if a bit bland and could have used an overhead light in the sitting room. The bed was very comfy and the sheets fantastic. The bathroom was huge and nice. I gave cleanliness 4 out of 5 because there was mold at the base of the shower door, but otherwise it was clean.
Check-in and out we're fast and friendly but somehow felt a bit impersonal. Overall, it's a nice property, although not one of Kimpton's more exciting or funky ones. (I can't speak for the spa as we didn't see it.)

• Stayed October 2012
Hello Wendelfarb,

I am glad you enjoyed the comfortable bedding in your suite and found the bathroom to be large. I am sorry about the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, and that the sleek modern décor of the room left it a little lacking for your taste. I guess our check-in and check-out experiences were a little too efficient and didn’t lead to more personalized interactions. I have reviewed your feedback with our team.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Franklin, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently spent three nights at the Lorien Hotel in Old Town Alexandria. The location really can't be beat if you are wanting a location that gets you out of the District but close to charming shops and restaurants in Old Town. And when you want to get to the museums and downtown restaurants, the King Street metro stop is a few blocks away and a 20 minute metro ride! Hotel has a nice boutique hotel feel to it. The rooms were spotless and pleasantly large. The best part? The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful that I have encountered in a hotel setting. Probie Too and Curly stood out. (nicknames I was told), but everybody that worked at the hotel seemed genuinely eager to make our stay a pleasant experience. We really had no complaints, I only have one suggestion. There is a fun "wine" hour from 5-6 every evening that is free and a nice plus. There is also free coffee in the am until 9am..I just wished that the coffee offer went a little longer, say 10am..not everybody is an early riser and it is nice to have that caffeine in the morning! We definitely would stay at this property again if in the DC area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sam194
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi Sam194,

I was thrilled to note you found our staff to be so friendly and accommodating, and that you enjoyed our location and amenities. I am sorry you were not able to get your caffeine fix with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at this charming hotel in the heart of Old Town. I had a corner room which was clean, contemporary and relatively large. The food is fresh and delicious. The staff are very warm and friendly and service is immaculate. I can't wait to come back again, hopefully with my family; stay a while and soak up the place a little!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Rik4805,

I am glad you enjoyed the cleanliness and design of your guest room, and that you found our staff to be accommodating. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal in our restaurant BRABO.

We look forward to welcoming the whole family next time,

Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Lorien Hotel & Spa in charming Old Towne Alexandria. Centrally located on King Street just steps from many restaurants, stores, and the waterfront, the Lorien is an exceptional property in every way. The staff is professional, courteous, and eager to please. The valet, the front desk and housekeeping staff were all a pleasure to deal with. The room was spacious, clean and modern and the beds were luxurious. There was a complimentary happy hour each day and, as an In-Touch Rewards Member, I received free wi-fi and ten dollars to spend on the mini bar at no additional charge. Whenever I am in the DC area for business or pleasure, the Lorien is my new hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Request a view of the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello MMurphy313,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to the DC area, and for being a Kimpton InTouch member. I’m glad our centralized location suited your needs and that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff.

We are ready to welcome you back,