“Old Town Charm” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Derbyshire
“Old Town Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at this charming hotel in the heart of Old Town. I had a corner room which was clean, contemporary and relatively large. The food is fresh and delicious. The staff are very warm and friendly and service is immaculate. I can't wait to come back again, hopefully with my family; stay a while and soak up the place a little!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello Rik4805,

I am glad you enjoyed the cleanliness and design of your guest room, and that you found our staff to be accommodating. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal in our restaurant BRABO.

We look forward to welcoming the whole family next time,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Lorien Hotel & Spa in charming Old Towne Alexandria. Centrally located on King Street just steps from many restaurants, stores, and the waterfront, the Lorien is an exceptional property in every way. The staff is professional, courteous, and eager to please. The valet, the front desk and housekeeping staff were all a pleasure to deal with. The room was spacious, clean and modern and the beds were luxurious. There was a complimentary happy hour each day and, as an In-Touch Rewards Member, I received free wi-fi and ten dollars to spend on the mini bar at no additional charge. Whenever I am in the DC area for business or pleasure, the Lorien is my new hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Request a view of the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello MMurphy313,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to the DC area, and for being a Kimpton InTouch member. I’m glad our centralized location suited your needs and that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff.

We are ready to welcome you back,

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a king bed room. Room cleanliness is the primary measure of quality for us, and this hotel was clean. The room, bed and bathroom were very clean despite this being a pet friendly hotel. Staff were polite and helpful. Location-wise, this hotel is on the opposite side of King Street from the majority of the restaurants and shops, but we certainly didn't mind the 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront. Overall, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank CaAMmA
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello CaAMmA,

I am glad the cleanliness of the hotel made you feel very comfortable, and that you found our staff to be friendly. In the other direction we are just two blocks to the King Street Metro station, and you can utilize the complimentary King Street trolley, especially if you are coming back from a big day of boutique shopping.

We look forward to your next visit,

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Located in the heart of Old Town on King Street, this hotel is a great place to stay for a romantic & relaxing weekend getaway. The complimentary wine hour was nice and the customer service was great! I would definitely recommend joining their InTouch Rewards program - it's free to join and you to get access to free Wi-Fi (otherwise there's a fee) and a mini bar credit voucher. The hotel room itself is clean and comfortable however, unless you're taking advantage of the spa services the rooms are a little pricey and there are several other lower price options in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenniferM1717
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello JenniferM1717,

I am glad you chose to stay with us for your romantic weekend and enjoyed the accommodating service provided by your staff as well as our evening wine reception. Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton InTouch member.

We hope to see you again soon,

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

A nice boutique option in very close proximity to the Metro. We arrived near midnight and the front desk crew were very helpful offering dinner suggestions. Rooms were on the small side but we liked the big bathrooms and the large shower.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveltoujours
Hi traveltoujours,

It’s nice to note our location near the Metro worked out for you and that you found assistance from our staff with late night dining options. I am glad you enjoyed the size of the bathroom, which is consistent throughout the hotel. We certainly offer some larger guest rooms and suites at other price points.

We look forward to your next visit,

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2013. The hotel is in a great location – within two or three blocks of the King Street Metro Station. There are countless restaurants, bars, and shopping in the area as well. The waterfront area is probably a little less than a mile from the hotel, and there’s a free Trolley that runs along King Street that will provide you with direct access if you don’t feel like walking.

The hotel is a modern boutique-style hotel. The rooms were nicely decorated and furnished, and very well maintained. The bathroom was nice and large; however, as others have mentioned, the bathroom door offers absolutely NO privacy. The door is a frosted sliding door that does not seal/close all the way. Therefore, you can see through the cracks and you can hear EVERYTHING. If you’re staying by yourself, this is not such a huge deal, but if you’re staying with others, I’m sure you’d want to use the restroom without someone hearing your every move. Definitely not the best design.

We found the staff very accommodating, helpful, and friendly, and we enjoyed the evening happy hour in the lobby. Wi-Fi is not free, but if you’re a Kimpton In-Touch member, you will receive free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

“Like” their Facebook page as they occasionally post deals and perks. For example, during the month of August if you said the “secret word” (which was posted on their Facebook page) you would get a few extras! It was definitely a nice surprise!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello QTPyePop,

I am pleased you enjoyed the modern décor and design of the hotel; sorry if we got a little carried away with the bathroom door. It appears you made your way around Old Town, whether by enjoying the walk or hopping on the trolley. I hope you have the opportunity to join us for a longer stay in the future so you can try our wonderful BRABO restaurant.

See you soon,

Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have always been a Kimpton fan and do DC business trips several times each year. Kimpton's got some great hotels in DC proper (Palomar, Madera, Monaco) but I am a New Englander and like my quaint so decided to stay in Alexandria, only a few stops south of DCA. Lorien is 2-3 blocks from the King St metro stop, and a 15-20 min walk down to the riverfront in old town alexandria. Perfect location. The staff there is super; I've stayed twice and got the same room both times because I noted when I left the first time how much I liked it. The lobby is small but very cool (indoor and outdoor seating) and they have a great courtyard in the front of the hotel which supreses the King Street noise. I never heard anything at night even though my room was on the 2nd floor and faced the street. The restaurant downstairs is fabulous - they have a more formal dining room and an experimental kitchen (Brabo Room), which was informal and excellent. My only complaint is they were supposed to have wifi and I needed to get some work done and couldn't get on.
This is a very comfortable hotel. The rooms are a little small but I don't spend time sitting in the room so I don't mind. If you like old hotels with beautiful architecture, great staff, clean rooms and friendly people stay here.

Green Features: This is an environmentally friendly hotel chain. They are platinum level, which is good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank heyarl1
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello heyarl1,

I am glad you were able to make the most of our location near the Metro and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. I was pleased to note you found our staff to be accommodating and enjoyed our dining options. I am sorry about the Wi-Fi issues in the Tasting Room; I will have that checked out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,