“Friendly hotel, amazing experience!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived late in the evening, and everyone was still chipper and friendly, so that was nice after a long drive from Boston-- no condescending or tired can't-be-bothered attitude. Check-in was smooth and quick, which was much appreciated. We mentioned the word of the month from the Kimpton InTouch facebook page which got us complimentary valet parking AND breakfast for two at Brabo! That was a huge bonus. Plus, free wi-fi if you're an InTouch member (worth joining for), and I received the Wall Street Journal just as I had requested in my profile. The hotel was immaculate, and the room was nice and spacious, as well as clean. The bathroom had a sliding door, which didn't offer much privacy, but that was fine. The AC did blow directly at the beds, which was a little uncomfortable at night, but not a big deal.
The hotel is really conveniently located at the end of King St, within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants in Old Town Alexandria. Overall, it was very enjoyable, and the little perks of the loyalty program were way better than the others where you have to collect points, etc. All the attention to detail was much appreciated!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank fuzzbrain
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hello fuzzbrain,

I was pleased to note you received very friendly and accommodating service from our entire staff, and that you enjoyed so many Kimpton perks. I am sorry about the positioning of the AC vent and the modern design of our bathroom door. It is certainly nice to walk around Old Town and enjoy all the boutique shops, or hop on the Metro just two blocks away.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Lorien on a short trip through Washington, DC. The service is impeccable and the simple rooms are well appointed. We opted for the Spa Bathroom with the bear claw tub and highly recommend it. The Lorien also has wonderful dining options and a beautiful spa on premise. We will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi alleydw,

I am glad you and your wife received excellent service from our team and enjoyed our upgraded spa bathroom. If you couldn’t make it to each restaurant, please keep up the visits; we feature BRABO, the BRABO Tasting Room & The Butcher’s Block.

See you soon,

Reviewed August 17, 2013

When we decided to make the trip by car to FL from the northeast instead of plane, we really wanted something more than the run-of-the-mill Inns... Hampton, Springhill, Residence, etc. -- when traveling with 3 kids, this can be a challenge!
The Lorien was our first stop. What an amazing beginning. The hotel is clean, friendly and very metropolitan. As the kids (10 &under) entered the room, they were oohing and awing the space, most especially the bathroom. It's huge! With a giant walk in shower and no door! We arrived late, ordered room service and were served great dishes at 10PM! Most importantly, the beds...so comfortable! King room with a living room, pull out sofa and a roll-a-way bed, and there was still plenty of room to move around the room. Amazing spa and great gym. We look forward to exploring this town but returning to this hotel or another "Kimpton" brand hotel soon.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly. Don't use and online travel site. Tell them your travel needs. Join th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MMdeluca

Hi MMdeluca,

I am thrilled that your family of five enjoyed your stay in one of our suites, and that your children really liked the massive bathroom. It sounds like you had quite the vacation before you ever reached Florida; room service dinner, a trip to the spa…

Perhaps we will see you on the way back up,

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights in this lovely hotel. Very clean, loved the linens and wonderful bathrooms. Nice staff. They even went out of their way to mail my daughter's camera BACK to us, after we accidentally left it there! Overall...we couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kebby5
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hello Kebby5,

I am happy to read you enjoyed so many aspects of your guest room, and that we were able to reunite your daughter with her camera. Hopefully there are some pictures of the hotel on it!

See you soon,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Lorian Hotel is the best! Unique, modern, sparkling clean, convenient for Old Town Alexandria strolling. Wine hour icing on the cake! We were there for our wedding anniversary trip and we were treated as very special. Our stay there was excellent!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Hi Mlounc,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for spending it with us. I was pleased to note you were able to enjoy walking around Old Town where you can check out the various boutiques and restaurants. The only thing that might beat a super clean hotel is the complimentary wine reception; I am glad you were able to partake.

Come back and join us before another year is up,

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I really liked the Lorien. I have never stayed at another one of their properties but I was impressed. I had a business meeting just down the street and it was walking distance, which was the sole decision why I stayed there and I am glad I did. Very clean, modern and fun.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello whitworth74,

I am glad our location was convenient to your meeting, and that you enjoyed the design elements and fun spirit of our staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband, 2 year old daughter and I stayed at the Lorien for 3 nights in February 2012 during a family trip to DC. My daughter absolutely loved the room -- and especially the large walk-in shower. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and well decorated -- minimalist and modern, painted a relaxing light blue. The hotel is located about 2 blocks to the Metro and it's about 15 minutes by Metro from central DC. We enjoyed staying in Alexandria as it was a little quieter and a better value than DC. My daughter and I walked the old cobble sidewalks every morning and loved checking out the architecture. The staff was excellent. They were so helpful and friendly. We felt very welcome and would definitely stay again if we return to DC. The Lorien is a great home base for seeing the Capital.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ALS-SD
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hi ArieSD,

I am pleased to note you and your family enjoyed the décor of your guest room and the well appointed bathroom. It is certainly easy to enjoy all the shops along King Street, or to take a quick two block walk the Metro stop to head up to DC to see all the museums and monuments.

We look forward to your next visit,