“Simply the best hotel we've ever been to” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, MD
“Simply the best hotel we've ever been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Lorien Hotel and Spa was amazing. The customer service was second to none we have ever experienced. Everyone from the people who parked our car to the person who poured us wine during the complimentary wine hour was friendly and helpful. The modern decor has a warm touch. It felt like home, only a home we dream of having. The bathroom was so luxurious. We got the deal that included breakfast, which was delicious. We can't say enough about how great this place is. Although we didn't bring a pet, they are welcome. If you've never been to Old Town Alexandria, definitely go soon and stay at the Lorien. I've heard good things about the other Kimpton Hotels in DC and Alexandria as well.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the room with the bath tub. It's an incredible claw foot tub, and the showe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello KatBaltimoreMD,

I was pleased to note you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us ranging from your positive interactions with our staff to the hotel décor. I am glad you enjoyed your BRABO breakfast that was included in your room package.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Riverton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

While I could wax poetic about the cleanliness of my room, its layout, and the location of this hotel, it is the staff that made my stay above excellent. From the woman who maintained my room to the valet parking attendants, the staff was unfailingly bright, cheerful, polite and responsive. Every single employee I encountered, and you never had to search for a human to help you, was friendly, warm, engaging, and seemed eager to be of assistance. Excellent experience; exceptional stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello MarPaull,

I was thrilled to share your feedback with our team. I am glad our staff bubbled up to become the reason for your exceptional experience.

We look forward to your next visit,

sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

maybe too modern for regular folks in the food and coffee dept, but great location, great facility, great renovation, great fireplace, great lobby nice patio, parking tricky but possible, stylish, great elevator

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank m v
Hi m v,

Thank you for all the “greats”; we certainly appreciate it. We have three food and beverage concepts, which offer a variety of cuisine. I hope next time you will find something more to your liking.

See you soon,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Everywhere we go, we are using Kimpton hotels more and more. It just makes sense. So far, we always get what we requested. Checkin and checkout are always a breeze. I tell you we are getting spoiled but we are not complaining :)

If you are going to spend a few days in Alexandria, Va then The Lorien is the best place to stay. It is two blocks from the Metro and you can catch free trolleys if you want to go the other way towards Old Town. The umbrella the hotel supplied saved us from many sudden rain showers. All around the area, there are plenty of cafes and restaurants so you don't have to walk far.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi whichcitynow,

I am glad you made the best of our location near the Metro and all the shops & restaurants along King Street. I am pleased to note you are enjoying seamless experiences at some of our other Kimpton Hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you again,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was lucky to win a priceline bid here a few months ago. I wish I could normally afford it. All I can say is that I had a giddy laughter seeing this room. So nice, so clean...and the bathroom....IS...AWESOME.

LOVE.

My only complaint was no water pressure the day I stayed there, but I'm willing to forgive them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi MikeLogan2,

I am glad we put a smile on your face and I am sorry the water pressure in your room was not as strong as you would like it. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of the hotel, especially the bathroom, and that you found it to be very clean.

Hopefully we will see you back here soon,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Lorien over July 4th weekend with my boyfriend. We were celebrating our anniversary and an early birthday for me so we escaped NYC to VA for a weekend getaway. After two days at the Monaco we decided to check out the Lorien to get a feel for a different kind of Kimpton property. The Lorien is definitely a different vibe from the Monaco. The Monaco is fun and qwirky with bold colors and patterns. The Lorien is serene and tranquil with a color pallet to match.

After sitting in some traffic on King Street to get to the Lorien (perhaps a little Old Town Friday rush hour) it was a welcome site when the Mr. Take it Easy was there to help us with our bags to our room. Mr Nice Guy checked us in and informed us we had been upgraded to a spa room with a rain shower. Mr. Take it Easy helped us with our bags. The room was really nice and it overlooked the courtyard with a bunch of windows which was really nice. The bathroom was overly large with a rain shower head. The only thing the room was lacking was a tub. Normally I wouldn't mind the lack of a tub but I had a freak foot injury my foot at the Monaco so I was hoping to soak it in there.

My boyfriend was nice enough to go down and talk to the front desk about possibly getting a room with a tub Johnny the Greek (I love these name tags BTW) was nice enough to help us out. We weren't able to switch to a room with a tub for that night but were able to the next day. The transition was easy as we just left our bags in the room and the hotel took care of everything. The suite was an even nicer room with a tub and a littler veranda that overlooked the courtyard,

We had dinner one night in the BRABO Tasting Room which was delicious and a dessert in BRABO with a Birthday Certificate I had received which was also good. The only hiccup I had during my stay was that I didn't receive my birthday girl from The Butcher's Block but once I was brought up at the hotel I got it to take home with me on check out.

I would highly recommend the Lorien Hotel and Spa is you are looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JodyKitcher
Hello JodyKitcher,

First, I hope your foot is feeling better. I am glad John was able to get you changed to a room with a claw foot tub. Congratulations on your anniversary and upcoming birthday. I am sorry you were not provided with your birthday gift from the Butcher’s Block when you checked-in, but did receive it upon check-out so you could celebrate at home.

We look forward to your next visit,

State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Lorien for our trip to DC over the July 4th weekend in 2013. The hotel is in a nice location in Alexandria, near a lot of shopping, restaurants/bars and the waterfront (2 miles) in Alexandria and 2 blocks from a Metro station to get anywhere in the DC area. The room was very nice sized and clean, with a modern design. The hotel staff was very nice, helpful and professional. The only thing I would like to change is the daily valet parking rate ($29). Overall, we recommend this hotel, we rarely give hotels 5 stars and this is one of the few.

If you're thinking of this hotel for a trip to DC, keep in mind the commute to the national mall, white house, etc. is a little far (7 miles or so) so plan on subway fares or a lot of driving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Todd B,

Thank you for your feedback about our staff and favorable location. Metro is definitely the way to go if you are heading up to DC to see the sights, or on business.

We hope to see you again soon,