“very relaxing”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great boutique hotel with friendly, welcoming staff. Very clean room with great, comfortable bed, linens and pillows! Great bar/restaurant, excellent cocktails and customer service. Would definitely return but would get a larger room with more windows. We stayed in a standard king bed room (325 sq feet) and it is small. So, if you are bothered by small room size, definitely upgrade to the next size room. This is an excellent hotel, close to everything, so it will be well worth it to upgrade if that is important to you. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hello 858msal,

I was pleased to note you received a warm welcome from our staff and enjoyed the cuisine and service from our BRABO bar and restaurant. As you indicated we certainly have rooms of varying size in case you want a little more room to spread out. I am glad you found our location on King Street to be convenient to the Metro and all the things to see and do in Alexandria.

We look forward to your next visit,

Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Kimpton hotels remind me of my children - they're all different, and they're all wonderful.

Every Kimpton hotel I've stayed at has its own special qualities that make them special. The Lorien has an overall calm atmosphere that is extremely relaxing. We had breakfast in their cafe - the service was friendly and gracious, the food was delicious and fresh. We had one meal packed up to take with us, and the food was packed beautifully.

The hotel is about 2 blocks from the Metro station and is a beautiful area for visiting - lots of history, interesting culture and stores.

Also, it was my birthday month, and as a complete surprise, I found champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries in our room - hoohoo!

The thing about Kimpton hotels is that, the surprises at Kimpton are always good surprises!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear SRothschild,

I am thrilled you appreciate the little surprises and delights we do for our guests. Happy Birthday from one January baby to another! I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast in BRABO, and that you found our location convenient to the Metro station on King Street.

We look forward to surprising again,

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the way to and from our holidays in the Caribbean. The hotel is perfectly located for regan airport and just overall an outstanding place to stay. On our return from holiday, my parents joined us for a night and they loved to Lorian too! It might even make my dad give up his Hilton honours programme in favour of Kimpton. Easy switch if you ask me.

Staff was as usual great and we are already looking forward to next year's stopover at the Lorian.

• Stayed: January 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear 32,

Thank you for making us your Caribbean holiday stopover. Reagan airport is certainly a convenient trip to/from the hotel whether by Metro or taxi. I am glad you were able to get your parents to enjoy the Lorien Hotel & Spa as well.

See you next year,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Wonderful hotel experience: Friendly and welcoming staff, amazing food and beverage, and impressive customer service. Plus, there is a welcome wine hour! I have stayed at Kiptons before and highly recommend this hotel/location. All around fantastic!

Room Tip: If you are not bringing a pet, ask for a quiet room. I overheard one couple asking for a quiet room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear SPJ3335,

I was pleased to note you enjoyed the food & beverage offerings from our restaurant BRABO, and that you received friendly and helpful service from our entire staff. I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. The hotel is ideally situated in the heart of the Alexandria, VA with a very efficient in/out car valet service. The usual Kimpton touches make for a very enjoyable stay and free wifi for InTouch members is a nice perk. We had a couple of very minor requests which were met very efficiently. Rooms are of a decent size and the Spa while small was very pleasant. Wine tasting hour is made even more pleasant with the outdoor fire. Room for improvement is minor and hotel is highly recommended. I am in the travel business and travel a lot and I would definately return.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies. Very pleasant especially during Spring and Fall.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear BlueTravler30,

I am glad you enjoyed our location on King Street which makes it easy to walk to all the shops and restaurants and the Metro rail towards DC. It was nice to note you had the chance to experience the spa as well as our evening wine tasting, especially by the outdoor fire pit.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here on two ocassions over the course of the holiday break this year, and both stays were unbelievable. From the valet guys to the front desk staff to the maids, everyone was very friendly and often helpful.

We showed up a family of four and golden retriever and enough luggage to give the impression we were staying longer than the day or two we actually were there. The first stop, I had left various knickknacks in the car. As my wife mentioned this with the valet guy (wish I had asked his name, though they were all great) in ear shot, he immediately asked if we wanted him to go get anything from the car for us. I've never had a hotel employee offer to do anything of the sort. I was caught off guard, but took him up on his offer and was tremendously thankful as we were trying to wrestle up our three and one year old so we could head out to the museums.

At night we were given some solid dining advice, again from another of the valet guys. This turned out to pay off as it was close, the food was decent and most of all the boys enjoyed it. The next morning I was given quick directions to a nearby park (just make aright on Harvard and walk to the end of the block) to walk the dog.

You can't ask for much more in a hotel. It's family friendly, pet friendly, 2 blocks from the King Street Metro, coffee shops with in spitting distance, all of downtown Alexandria just a 15 minute walk away, great size rooms, amazingly friendly staff and the price was more than right.

I had never heard of Kimpton hotels, and I am not sure if all are as great as The Lorien, but whether we are back in DC or elsewhere, we will always search out Kimpton's as our first choice going forward.

Room Tip: After reading a few reviews about noise level in some areas, I was sure to ask for a quiet room. Th...

Dear acbrophy,

I was thrilled that you found us to be perfect for your family and your golden retriever, starting off with the unexpected assistance from our valet, and a good dining recommendation. I am glad you made good use of our location just two blocks from the Metro in order to get up into DC to see the museums.

We look forward to your next visit at the Lorien and appreciate you searching out Kimpton Hotels wherever you travel.

Cordially,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My son lives in Alexandria, so I wanted to be close, but worried with finding a place that would allow 2 pets. I have a newfoundland and maltipoo. There was NO pet fee and they accept any number of pets and size. You would never know this hotel allowed pets because it was spotless. The staff was excellent! One of the best hotels I've stayed. The dining room was also great! Thanks for a stress-free experience. Only downside was the bathroom door, lacks privacy.

1  Thank carol k

Hello carol k,

I am glad you discovered the Lorien Hotel & Spa so we could provide you and your dogs with a hotel near to your son in Alexandria. I am pleased you found the hotel to be extremely clean and our staff to be very accommodating. I am sorry the modern design of the bathroom door did not provide you with enough privacy.

We hope to see you again when you come to visit to your son,