“Chic and economical - my new favorite way to see DC” 5 of 5 stars

Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Chic and economical - my new favorite way to see DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here for a 3 day visit to DC and it was a great decision. The price was very reasonable, especially compared to staying in DC proper.
Upon arrival, the staff was extremely friendly and attentive. We parked on the street nearby and I had a question about the street signs and they actually ran out of the hotel to check on my car.
The hotel and room were spotless. The room is very modern with comfy beds and a flat screen computer where you get all of your hotel info and can order room service.
We came back very late one night and there was no where to eat and they whipped us up some sandwiches and salads.
The only design detail I found strange was the sliding bathroom door. If you are staying with friends, not family, you have to warn them not to burst in on you.
The neighborhood was quaint and historic, with cute shops, old pubs and good restaurants all around. I am so glad I stayed because I would never have seen Alexandria otherwise. It was a great contrast to the cold, touristy, metropolitan feel of DC.
Based on the recommendation of the staff we left our car at the hotel and took the metro to DC. It was close by and an easy trip.
In the afternoons there is a free wine tasting with gourmet snacks, which was a very welcome treat.
The Lorien, like all Kimpton hotels are dog friendly and quite a few people had their furry friends with them. The staff was really good with everyone's pets.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to DC. It's clean, friendly and easily accessible in a great neighborhood. Plus, the price is right!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear NYCjetsetter-girl,

Thanks for choosing the Lorien for your 3 day getaway, which gave you the opportunity to experience Alexandria, which is especially wonderful this time of year. I was pleased to note you enjoyed your comfortable and clean room, and I am sorry if the bathroom door was a little too modern. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the Metro station to head into DC.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Excellent Boutique Hotel in the middle of beautiful Old Town Alexandria. the Staff couldn't do enough to make sure that I had an excellent visit. The room was very modern but comfortable, meticulous and relaxing. Between the staff, the hotel, the location and the relaxed atmosphere - I almost didn't want to go home. For those of you who travel for work, I know you know what I mean!!

Be sure to visit the Lorien; they have really thought of everything. The gym is great, they provide jogging maps if you want to go for a run (I used it). They probably would have sent someone to jog with me, if I asked :). They have internet access in room (monitor, usb hookups, mini-frig (not overpriced). If you forgot something, they have everything right there for you to use (for free). They have a wine and appetizer event every evening at 5, they have a nice fire pit in the back courtyard. Seriously, they have thought of everything...

With the price of my hotel room I was able to add $1 for parking. If I wanted I could have added $1 for breakfast. Really worth the value...just great!

Room Tip: Ask the staff, I'm sure they'll tell you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello andil64,

Yes, I could have gone jogging with you, seriously! I love to run, and especially in Old Town where you can exercise and sight see simultaneously. I am glad you enjoyed all the amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the relaxed atmosphere that is created.

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well of course the Smithsonian and White House rank up there but this place is an oasis unto itself. The people have always been (4th time here) super and so very gracious and accomodating. I love the hotel - the rooms - the fire pit - the staff - the wine tasting room - everything about it! Haven't done the spa yet but that's for girls weekend in a few months here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Lisa P,

I like the oasis comparison. Thanks! I am thrilled you enjoy so many aspects of our hotel, but most importantly, that you receive such wonderful service from our staff. Our Spa is ready whenever you are.

See you soon,

Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

On a recent trip to Washington, DC, for a training course, I sustained an eye injury. My husband remembered reading that the hotel had a doctor on call. He contacted the front desk and told them the situation, and the staff immediately went to work in locating an ophthalmologist. As a result, we were able to see an eye specialist that morning who informed me that I had a very “nasty abrasion”. As a result of the hotel's quick response, I was able to get back to class by mid-day allowing me to finish the course without having to return at a later time. That was, of course, secondary to my health and well-being which, thanks to the hotel staff, resulted in my complete recovery by week’s end. I cannot thank the Lorien enough for their quick intervention. Yes, the amenities are great and can't be beat. What I will remember, though, is the staff's quick response to my emergency. Again, thank you Lorien and staff.

Room Tip: I've stayed towards the middle of the hallway and then two end rooms. I prefer the end rooms as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear CBofNC,

I am relieved your eye has fully recovered from the abrasion you sustained, and that our staff reacted quickly enough to make a difference. As much as we would like to see you again soon, I am glad you were able to complete your training course during this visit.

We hope to see you again soon,

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is in a good location in the heart of Old Town. It's very close to the metro and right on the King St. trolly path. Our room was nice - a Lorien Terrace suite. Very contemporary design and soothing colors. Even though it was too cold to use the balcony, the doors let a lot of light into the rooms. In nice weather, I think these rooms would be worth the extra money. However, I'd be careful about which suite you book - our only disappointment was a very loud group in the suite next to us that was up until 3. Since the terrace space is essentially shared (low railing separating them), you could be sharing the space with a large/loud group. We had small children with us and they didn't end up sleeping very well due to the noise.
I'd go back to the hotel, but if I stayed in a suite again, I'd be sure to ask if there is a group next door.
Three notes with kids: unlike a few other kimpton properties, the Lorien didn't have the cute kids bags at check-in. Not a big deal, but they are a fun treat for the children. The hot chocolate in the lounge in the morning was a huge hit with the little ones! There is also an outstanding childrens book store directly across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms offer a nice view. If you stay in a suite, inquire about groups that might be nearb...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank AGF11
Dear AGF11,

I am glad you enjoyed our ideal location on King Street just two blocks from the Metro stop. I am sorry about the late night noise from the connecting suite, and wish that your children could have had as good a night’s sleep as you did. Please accept my apologies for your children not receiving a kid’s bag at check-in, but hope they had fun choosing something from our kid’s treasure chest, which is what we do here instead. I am glad they enjoyed the morning hot chocolate, and of course we have hot cider in the evening as well.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed for a weekend getaway and enjoyed the upscale, contemporary, and clean accommodations as well as the professional service and attention to detail. Location is walking distance to Old Town shops and restaurants, metro, and Amtrak. No car required. I usually stay at 5- star hotels when traveling so I was unsure what to expect. The Lorien exceeded all expectations!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thomas F, General Manager at Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear SLW0815,

I am glad you had a 5-star visit and enjoyed the style and cleanliness of the hotel, in addition to the excellent service you received. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our ideal location on King Street.

We await your next getaway,

US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I put my parents up at this hotel recently. There are so many things we were pleased with. First, the location is very near the King Street Metro. Also, on the weekend, there's a free King Street shuttle/trolley that takes you up and down King Street, which is loaded with shops and restaurants. Second, we arrived just in time to take advantage of the nightly happy hour. It's very classy and relaxing, wine and hot cider (which you could make into "adult" cider)...perfect for a chilly evening. Third, the decor is modern yet comfortable. The in-room computer, with internet access for In Touch members, is also great. They had breakfast included, which was minimal but tasty and sufficient if you don't need a huge breakfast. Finally, the staff was wonderful. We were greated by Shane/Showtime, who provided us with everything we needed to know in a welcoming, fun manner. I will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel. It'd be great for exploring DC in style without putting up with the congestion of downtown. Also a convenient stayover for DCA/Reagan airport. I look forward to trying out their spa!

Room Tip: The bathroom doors in the room are an awesome hung glass and they're not flush with the wall...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear dani42379,

I am so thrilled you and your parents enjoyed all that the Lorien has to offer, such as our evening wine hour, complete with “adult” cider, our modern décor, and our great location near the Metro. I have already shared your comments with “Showtime” from the Front Desk.