“Great Place!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Great Place!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Wonderful Kimpton hotel just a few blocks away from the King St Metro station. Quiet clean, and great staff. Easy walking access to all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer, and just a short metro train ride to Reagan airport and DC! Tried the Brabo restaurant, bar and tasting room; all of which were excellent. Had a massage at the spa and again had an excellent experience. All staff were friendly professional and polite throughout the hotel. This place/staff has their game together! Try room 301 for lots of space and a private and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Room 301 is an awesome space with a large private balcony and no common walls!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear kg90036,

Thank you for indulging in all we have to offer! I am glad you had a wonderful spa experience, and excellent cuisine and drinks in BRABO and our other food & beverage outlets. I was nice to note you made the most of our location just two blocks from the King Street Metro stop to pop into DC and to leave from Reagan.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

A nice relaxing stay and we really did have a great weekend! We were greeted by staff that was friendly and proactive to our needs. Shane, John, and Brandon were always with a smile, suggestions, and helpful. The complimentary happy hour is lovely and the outdoor fireplace is a comfortable place to meet fellow travelers.

The room was small but pretty and soothing. We were looking forward to the large clawfoot tub as seen on the website for soaking, but we had a regular hotel bathtub. We were 4 in a room and it was a bit crowded, but still nice. I attempted to get an adjoining room to spread out, but none were available. Fortunately, we packed lightly for the weekend as there really isn't a dresser or drawers other than the desk. We were greeted with extra fluffy towels and terry bathrobes for us. Call down for complimentary Keurig coffee maker and housekeeping will restock the coffee daily. Also "chocolate pillows" for a sweet tooth.

Our pet fish we named Herman and he was awaiting us on arrival in the room. The poor little guy had a dirty tank and he was tough to spot in the cloudy water.

We called the spa for a mani/pedi at 6:30pm after reading the spa was open until 8pm, but the nail techs "went home early". A little disappointed, but making an appt on a weekend with 4 was tough.

We would all stay again and recommend for a nice getaway.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear spracr.

I was thrilled to note you received such excellent service from Shane, John, Brandon and the rest our team. I can’t wait to share your feedback with them. I am glad you enjoyed our evening wine reception and the outdoor fire pit; certainly a great place to socialize. Please accept my apologies about the claw foot tub; those are available in our upgraded guest rooms and suites. I am sorry about Herman’s bowl being cloudy. I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping team. Our Spa Staff should have been available to accommodate your request. I am reviewing our staffing levels with our Spa Director.

I hope you will have the opportunity to return soon,

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This Kimpton was very nice. Great location. Great service and great comfort. I was here for business but would stay for pleasure another time. It was quiet and the bed was very comfortable.
Loved the bathroom. They provide a computer in the room and free wifi if a Kimpton member. Join as it is worth it. I asked for a coffee maker in my room which i promptly received but did not notice there was no coffee cups until morning. Make sure you have one.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear dippie,

I am pleased our location was ideal for business, and that would return for a leisure trip sometime. I am glad you enjoyed the comfortable bed, modern bathroom and the in-room computer. Please accept my apologies for coffee cups not being delivered with the coffee maker. I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping staff.

We look forward to your next visit,

New Haven CT
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We arrived around 4pm, greeted nicely. Directed to our room no fuss no muss. Invited to the 5pm wine tasting, which was very pleasant. Loved the restaurant, loved the food, staff was very helpful and enthusiastic. Although not always well informed. Spa was quite lovely, I had a facial and my husband had a massage, both were very good. Housekeeping was ok, not perfect....they left dirty wine glasses and towels in the room on one occasion and did not replace the robe we had used.
Overall worth the money and would go again if I was in the area

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Snodgrass999,

I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our evening wine tasting and experience our wonderful spa, and our restaurant BRABO. Please accept my apologies for our Housekeeping staff not being their usual detailed selves. I have reviewed your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper, so we can eliminate these oversights in the future.

We hope to see you again soon,

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I treated ourselves to an overnight stay at the hotel to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. What a wonderful experience! The hotel staff, and I mean all the staff from housekeeping to valet to front desk personnel were friendly and gracious. A requested DVD player was in the room when we arrived. A referral to Restaurant Eve led to a delightful and delicious dinner and we were surprised to find champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, compliments of the front desk, when we returned to our room. We were even allowed to leave our car at the hotel before the afternoon check-in. This made it possible for us to take the Metro into D.C. to have a docent led tour of the National Gallery. All these factors made this a memorable five star anniversary adventure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Aubrey P,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate at the Lorien Hotel & Spa! I was thrilled to note you received friendly and thoughtful service from our entire staff and that you had the opportunity to conveniently head up to DC from the Metro stop, just two blocks from the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I specifically asked for a quiet room--at 5 am. the next morning the dumpsters were emptied right below my room. Very loud crashing, banging etc. My room was changed the next night which a real bother. Staff was nice but they need to get the basics down (being able to sleep).

Room Tip: Not over the dumpsters!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear rosied8181,

I am sorry we were not able to honor your request for a quiet room, which impacted your ability to get a good night’s sleep. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience of changing rooms the next day. I am checking with our waste company to determine if later pick-up times are available.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again,

New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is awesome. Great decor, fantastic food, great spa and amenities. Honestly, I've stayed here three times in the past year, and I look forward to every visit. The staff is also incredibly helpful with directions, taxis, etc. This is THE place to stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear plt981,

We appreciate being your hotel of choice in the DC area. I am glad you find our staff to be so helpful with directions, and that you enjoy all the amenities we have to offer.

We look forward to your next visit,